Determining An Identity for Toronto's Second NHL Team

IceCap

What about Rose or Roses?

Idea came from the York which someone mentioned, which is in the name of a few municipalities in Toronto.

This could work, since Markham is in what I guess is called the North York Region, except "Roses" might not make it out of the focus group for obvious reasons. I like "Thorns," and thought it would have made a great name for an American League team in Portland, but that's their women's soccer team now, and with Markham you're several extra degrees of separation (Markham ---> York Region ---> English namesake York ---> War of the Roses ---> Roses have thorns) than you are with Portland (Portland ---> The Rose City ---> Roses have thorns).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about Rose or Roses?

Idea came from the York which someone mentioned, which is in the name of a few municipalities in Toronto.

This could work, since Markham is in what I guess is called the North York Region, except "Roses" might not make it out of the focus group for obvious reasons. I like "Thorns," and thought it would have made a great name for an American League team in Portland, but that's their women's soccer team now, and with Markham you're several extra degrees of separation (Markham ---> York Region ---> English namesake York ---> War of the Roses ---> Roses have thorns) than you are with Portland (Portland ---> The Rose City ---> Roses have thorns).

Well, one of the big communities within Marham is Thornhill, named after English settler Benjamin Thorne, so it wouldn't be that far-fetched.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I wouldn't mind seeing them take on the name York or even North York, would be a nice seperation. I feel as though Roses or Thorns may be deemed to close to Maple Leafs, two teams in the same city both named after plants. Can't see it happening.

untitled-6.jpg

Umm, isn't this a sports logo message board? I think we're getting off-topic here,financial and legal mesageboards/rooms are down the hall please...

Yes, given that this thread deals with the subject of determining an identity for a possible NHL expansion team in Greater Toronto, posts should focus on discussing said topic. As Ice_Cap stated in the first post:

"We have plenty of threads to discuss the NHL's averse relationship with common sense. I started this thread to discuss what the second Toronto team could be called, what colours they could wear, and even what their uniforms could look like."

To that end, I have moved all posts that were predominantly focused on discussing the merits of NHL expansion and/or the potential success of a second Greater Toronto-based NHL franchise to the thread titled "NHL Expansion?" in the Sports In General forum.

To be sure, some of said posts also offered-up ideas for potential team names, colours, and/or uniforms. However, if the bulk of a post's content dealt with issues that were not identity-related, the post was moved. If the authors of said posts would like their suggestions regarding the identity of a potential Toronto-based NHL expansion team to be included in this thread, they are welcome to repost said identity-based ideas here.

These suggestions all sound too good. You need to lower your expectations. The following horrible names are more likely.

Toronto Thunder

Toronto Rage

Toronto Red Whites

Toronto Tasers

Toronto Northmen

Even considering terrible names, the Northmen won't happen. Any new Quebec team will probably use the Nordiques name, and Nordiques is French for "Northmen."

Nothing says "Canada" like red and white stripes :D

It's no guarantee this will be it. If the people behind the Legacy don't become part of the ownership group that's granted the expansion franchise then the name/identity won't be used.

While I like Huskies, it would no doubt be turned down due to the history of the name with pro basketball in Toronto. The Raptors have already worn Huskies throwbacks, so it would be odd for them to honour them again in the future with a hockey team of the same name playing up Kennedy.

Legacy isn't too bad, but that whole package done in the link above is just horrible. MLSE would no doubt have some problems with them using the TFC team colours as well.

Like I mentioned earlier, while I like the green and white colour scheme in general, I think any Irish/Gaelic name (Gaels, Celtics) is too ethnic for such a diverse city, nor is it really a culture Toronto identifies with as a whole.

Maybe something like The Toronto Rebellion might work, paying homage to the Upper Canada Rebellion, something actually historically tied to the city. Obviously the Rebels would work as a short form/nickname as well.

Maybe something like The Toronto Rebellion might work, paying homage to the Upper Canada Rebellion, something actually historically tied to the city. Obviously the Rebels would work as a short form/nickname as well.

Yes, let's name a new team in a market already spoken for by another team that's reached civic institution status after an uprising against authority that utterly and completely failed. That'll send the right message.

Besides of all the rebellions in Canadian history the Upper Canadian one is the one least deserving of glorification. The Lower Canadian Rebellion is an important chapter of the ever changing relationship between English and French Canada. The Red River Rebellion is the story of a people standing up for their local autonomy while in the path of a seemingly unstoppable western expansion. It also led to the creation of a new province and is another chapter in the story of Canada's two founding peoples. The Upper Canadian Rebellion's just....there. It was led by a group who's end game was annexation into the United States, and the United States didn't even support them, nor did they have the populous of the colony on their side.

Sorry for the historical rant, but naming the team "the Rebellion" after the Upper Canadian Rebellion just doesn't work.

Yes, let's name a new team in a market already spoken for by another team that's reached civic institution status after an uprising against authority that utterly and completely failed. That'll send the right message.

Besides of all the rebellions in Canadian history the Upper Canadian one is the one least deserving of glorification. The Lower Canadian Rebellion is an important chapter of the ever changing relationship between English and French Canada. The Red River Rebellion is the story of a people standing up for their local autonomy while in the path of a seemingly unstoppable western expansion. It also led to the creation of a new province and is another chapter in the story of Canada's two founding peoples. The Upper Canadian Rebellion's just....there. It was led by a group who's end game was annexation into the United States, and the United States didn't even support them, nor did they have the populous of the colony on their side.

Sorry for the historical rant, but naming the team "the Rebellion" after the Upper Canadian Rebellion just doesn't work.

That there were more important rebellions in Canada is neither here nor there. They didn't happen in the area, so have no bearing on the discussion. I think them being a new team trying to overthrow the long standing cherished institution makes it all the more fitting (especially knowing they'll never truly "win" the fight). The end result of the UC rebellion is irrelevant. That's like saying the Leafs name is a poor choice choice of name because actual leaves die and decompose every year (however ironic that may be in relation to their actual plight in recent decades).

Even if you scrap any historical connotations, the name still works simply based on what the team would be trying to accomplish. The Toronto or York Rebels certainly doesn't sound bad, and would make marketing a relative breeze.

Umm, isn't this a sports logo message board? I think we're getting off-topic here,financial and legal mesageboards/rooms are down the hall please...

Yes, given that this thread deals with the subject of determining an identity for a possible NHL expansion team in Greater Toronto, posts should focus on discussing said topic. As Ice_Cap stated in the first post:

"We have plenty of threads to discuss the NHL's averse relationship with common sense. I started this thread to discuss what the second Toronto team could be called, what colours they could wear, and even what their uniforms could look like."

To that end, I have moved all posts that were predominantly focused on discussing the merits of NHL expansion and/or the potential success of a second Greater Toronto-based NHL franchise to the thread titled "NHL Expansion?" in the Sports In General forum.

To be sure, some of said posts also offered-up ideas for potential team names, colours, and/or uniforms. However, if the bulk of a post's content dealt with issues that were not identity-related, the post was moved. If the authors of said posts would like their suggestions regarding the identity of a potential Toronto-based NHL expansion team to be included in this thread, they are welcome to repost said identity-based ideas here.

By no means was I critizing the starter of the post, it's just when this happens, others immediately have to come out and say "this won't happen because of this, there's no money or enough people to to gain support ",etc... Topics have nothing to do with the original post. That was my intentions of my post. No harm

That external link of the Toronto Legacy was really cool. The name rebels would work too....

If a team sets up in Markham, would they consider calling it the ONTARIO ___________??? Toronto is the most recognizable area name, of course, but this would differentiate the new team from the Maple Leafs while still using a somewhat recognizable area name (I don't think YORK would work for an NHL team, the general public would immediately relate it to NYC).

I also think it would be smart to use green as a main color, again to separate the new team from the blue Maple Leaf, red/blue Canadien and red/black Senator identities; I'm not familiar with Toronto history and culture to know if Celtic/Gaelic/Irish heritage is strong enough there, though...

Archived