Determining An Identity for Toronto's Second NHL Team

IceCap

I'm on the fence about "Towers". Part of me thinks it sounds like a cool name that fits the city really well, and the other part thinks it sounds like some crappy beer-league arena football team.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toronto Blades: Just a cool hockey name for a team in the cradle of the sport.

Toronto Lakers: Not the most original but it works geographically.

Toronto Legends: I think this might have been proposed for a second GTA team but I always liked the ring of it.

Toronto Mounties: Self-explanatory.

Toronto Saints: St. Clair Ave. is one of the main drags, and it's a name that hasn't been used much.

Toronto Towers: CN Tower, of course, and the team could be a tower of strength.

Ontario Tigers: If the team isn't playing in Toronto proper, it could use the provincial name to honor the dear-departed Hamilton Tigers. And it sounds cool.

Lakers, Mounties and Saints would be the best possible ones out of this list....

I love it. We have proposed Celtics and Lakers so far. Anyone good with the Bulls or Knicks next :-)

Haven't we already had Toros?

Toronto Blades: Just a cool hockey name for a team in the cradle of the sport.

Toronto Lakers: Not the most original but it works geographically.

Toronto Legends: I think this might have been proposed for a second GTA team but I always liked the ring of it.

Toronto Mounties: Self-explanatory.

Toronto Saints: St. Clair Ave. is one of the main drags, and it's a name that hasn't been used much.

Toronto Towers: CN Tower, of course, and the team could be a tower of strength.

Ontario Tigers: If the team isn't playing in Toronto proper, it could use the provincial name to honor the dear-departed Hamilton Tigers. And it sounds cool.

Lakers, Mounties and Saints would be the best possible ones out of this list....

I love it. We have proposed Celtics and Lakers so far. Anyone good with the Bulls or Knicks next :-)

Haven't we already had Toros?

Toronto Toros were once a member of the WHA, the same league the Edmonton Oilers, Winnipeg Jets, Hartford Whalers, and Quebec Nordiques came from.

What if they took on the name Tigers as a homage to Hamilton in a attempt to also appeal to that community. It'd also enable an easy relocation rebrand if things weren't going accordingly in Toronto,

I can't imagine anyone in Toronto (or GTA) wanting to pay homage to a team from Hamilton (or people from Hamilton approving of a Toronto team taking their name for that matter). The cities may be close in proximity but they each have their own unique sporting history. Besides, I'm pretty sure the ACC is closer to Hamilton than Markham is.

I'm on the fence about "Towers". Part of me thinks it sounds like a cool name that fits the city really well, and the other part thinks it sounds like some crappy beer-league arena football team.

I like the name. It's unique, sounds good with Toronto, and could make for some nice logos (I've always wondered why the Rock are the only local team that's used the CN Tower in their logo). However, it should really be saved for a team that actually plays its games downtown near the tower, not up in the burbs.

i know this is the NHL and generally common sense isn't common but why would they block a move to Hamilton if they were going to put a secondary team in Toronto? Even if it's hypothetically speaking, it still sounds strange to me.

but if we are playing 'what if' how about Toronto Tigers?

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Besides, I'm pretty sure the ACC is closer to Hamilton than Markham is.

No, Hamilton is actually almost exactly twice the distance.

i know this is the NHL and generally common sense isn't common but why would they block a move to Hamilton if they were going to put a secondary team in Toronto? Even if it's hypothetically speaking, it still sounds strange to me.

but if we are playing 'what if' how about Toronto Tigers?

They denied it because of the coup style way Balsillie was doing it, not because they're particularly against Hamilton, but the fact remains that Hamilton is within the geographic jurisdiction of two teams, while the Markham team would only affect the Leafs. The brand new arena in Markham would also be much preferable to the aged Copps Coliseum in Hamilton. And are you honestly asking about he Tigers name after it's already been addressed multiple times, including in the post directly above yours?

Toronto St. Pats would be cool and perfectly incorporate the green, but the Leafs would never allow it. Would be giving up a chapter of their history. Shame really.

Why should they?

If they go red... I have nothing really.

Toronto Tecumsehs.

Why should they?

They shouldn't. It's the Leafs' history, its theirs and no one else's. I was just saying its a shame it was tied in to the Leafs cause it would be a perfect name for a green scheme.

Ah gotcha. Well Shamrocks works just as well if the new team wants to take the Irish route.

Toronto Patriots

Nah. To American and/or French Canadian.

Got it from O Canada.

I guess my issue with it would be doing a patriotic theme without using a maple leaf. That might be tough. The American/French Canadian problem I didn't consider.

Well "patriotic" as it's used in the anthem simply means "support of one's country." The thing is that in the context of North American politics and history the term "patriot" has deeper meanings.

If the "settler/forefathers" route is going to be taken Loyalists makes more sense. Though if people think Shamrocks won't fly because of Toronto's diverse nature there's no way in hell Loyalists is going to work.

Well "patriotic" as it's used in the anthem simply means "support of one's country." The thing is that in the context of North American politics and history the term "patriot" has deeper meanings.

If the "settler/forefathers" route is going to be taken Loyalists makes more sense. Though if people think Shamrocks won't fly because of Toronto's diverse nature there's no way in hell Loyalists is going to work.

Then it's probably a better idea to steer clear of that type of name.

How about...

Toronto Colts/Mavericks/Mustangs: Playing off the Golden Horseshoe and if you choose Mavericks the whole second-team idea.

Archived