Determining An Identity for Toronto's Second NHL Team

IceCap

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the horse route is promising. It'll be a unique NHL identity, assuming the flaming mane-less snot horse logo stays retired in Calgary.

Green, athletic gold, and black.

EDIT

Crap, the Stars will have green and gold by the time this team comes.

What about Toronto Invaders? Kind of a play on them being in Leafs territory, could go with a Vikings type theme or maybe a Knight?

I would like a knight-centric identity. It's not something anyone else really uses in the pros, and someone really should.

Yeah, the horse route is promising. It'll be a unique NHL identity, assuming the flaming mane-less snot horse logo stays retired in Calgary.

EDIT

What about green and silver? Or brown and light blue? Brown/light blue certainly couldn't be confused for the Leafs, and would be incredibly unique to any of the 4 major sports.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

What about Toronto Invaders? Kind of a play on them being in Leafs territory, could go with a Vikings type theme or maybe a Knight?

I would like a knight-centric identity. It's not something anyone else really uses in the pros, and someone really should.

A knight-themed visual identity would fit with my suggestions of either Toronto Guardians or Toronto Sentinels. Toronto Paladins would work as well. Or, you could simply dub the team (pun most definitely intended) the Toronto Knights. No doubt, the London Knights would pitch a fit over the last alternative.

Toronto Tuskers, perhaps?

I like that the most out of any of the hog-themed names.

What about green and silver? Or brown and light blue? Brown/light blue certainly couldn't be confused for the Leafs, and would be incredibly unique to any of the 4 major sports.

I like the brown and light blue suggestion, but I think it needs gold, seeing as a horse-themed name would be referencing the area's nickname, the Golden Horseshoe.

A knight-themed visual identity would fit with my suggestions of either Toronto Guardians or Toronto Sentinels. Toronto Paladins would work as well. Or, you could simply dub the team (pun most definitely intended) the Toronto Knights. No doubt, the London Knights would pitch a fit over the last alternative.

Toronto Sentinels is pretty cool. I like the name Paladins enough, but I think that's been successfully co-opted by the MMO/RPG crowd :D

How about one after THE Toronto landmark? The Toronto Towers?

BigBubba said it best, it's either a really cool name or something incredibly lame an Arena Football team would use. I'm not sure which.

You guys can so totes have IceHogs if it means we no longer have to bear the ignominy of putting prospects on assignment with the "Rockford IceHogs." Now to fix the Rockford part!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You guys can so totes have IceHogs if it means we no longer have to bear the ignominy of putting prospects on assignment with the "Rockford IceHogs." Now to fix the Rockford part!

I always wondered why the Blackhawks never had an affiliation with the Wolves. I know they're owned by two different groups, but you'd think would have signed some mutual non-aggression pact or something.

EDIT

I'd like gold to be a part of the identity because of the so-called 'Golden Horseshoe.'

Brown, gold, light blue?

I always wondered why the Blackhawks never had an affiliation with the Wolves. I know they're owned by two different groups, but you'd think would have signed some mutual non-aggression pact or something.

Far from it. The Wolves aggressively marketed themselves in opposition to the Blackhawks during the Dark Ages. Even without the bad blood, I wouldn't want the Blackhawks affiliated with the Wolves, who still maintain their IHL spirit of aspirations greater than that of a mere farm team. It certainly hasn't helped the Jets to have inherited a developmental roster that saw its prospects demoted or benched for "proven AHL players." What the Blackhawks have now is pretty much what the Flames have had, which is to exist on a largely evaluative basis and to hell with wins, losses, or what the locals think. Works better in Rockford, though.

The only way affiliating with Rosemont would work would be to buy out Don Levin and run the Wolves as the IceHogs, but that runs the risk of alienating the diehard Wolves fans (they're still out there) who have come to expect a competitive team and enjoyable gamenight experience. Status quo is fine.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived