Our Idea of MLB Postseason Expansion (8 teams per league)

RoughRiders99

Okay, so I was talking with my buddy and we came up with an idea if MLB expanded their postseason system to 8 teams per league.

Of course, the 3 division winners would get the 1-2-3 seeds. Then the next 5 best teams, regardless of division, get in as seeds 4-8. Then the playoffs would be seeded 1v8, 2v7 and so on forth.

How would the scheulde/rounds work?

1st Round: Best 2-of-3 series, taken over the course of 3 straight days, with an additional 4th day for possible make-up date.

But here's the kick, the team with the homefield advantage will host ALL three games at their stadium.,

League Semi-Finals: Best 3-of-5. It will start imediately the day after the "4th" day from the 1st round. Basically a carbon copy of the current LDS system. 2-2-1 format. Travel days in its usual spots (when teams switch stadiums)

League Championship: Best-4-of-7. The idea here. 2-3-2 concept. Travel days when switching stadiums.

World Series: Same idea as now.

We mocked up the playoff schedule using the October 2013 month as the template. We had the whole postseason starting on October 1st, two days after the season ending on Sept 29. Sept 30 is reserved for Game 163, if neccessary, or travelling. The potential Game 7 of the World Series would fall on Saturday, November 2nd.

Using last season's standings, the bracket would look like this:

American League:

1. Yankees vs 8. Mariners

2. Athletics vs 7. White Sox

3. Tigers vs 6. Angels

4. Rangers vs 5. Rays

National League

1. Nationals vs 8. Phillies

2. Reds vs 7. Brewers

3. Giants vs 6. Dodgers

4. Braves vs 5. Cardinals

(1st round of the National League would be INTENSE, with all of the rivalires, espeically Giants-Dodgers).

So...what do you guys think?

Just drop the divisions and have the top 4 teams in each league make the playoffs.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

No. If anything they need to eliminate one and go back to 4 per league. This isn't the goddamn NHL where over half the league makes the post season.

I'll agree with you on that one. I hated the idea of the Wild Card game.

And in practice it was stupid. Takes an entire season worth of work and belittle's it down to one game. I'd rather they go back to 4 per league and make the LDS a best of 7 like the other two.

Just drop the divisions and have the top 4 teams in each league make the playoffs.

Nah, divisional rivalries are the lifeblood of MLB.

No. If anything they need to eliminate one and go back to 4 per league. This isn't the goddamn NHL where over half the league makes the post season.

And in practice it was stupid. Takes an entire season worth of work and belittle's it down to one game. I'd rather they go back to 4 per league and make the LDS a best of 7 like the other two.

Look at the Braves. In the old wildcard, they would have clinched a DS spot by the middle of September. Instead, in the new double wildcard format, the Cards snuck in at the last minute, then beheaded the Braves, Nats and went up 3-1 against the Giants.

Look at the Braves. In the old wildcard, they would have clinched a DS spot by the middle of September. Instead, in the new double wildcard format, the Cards snuck in at the last minute, then beheaded the Braves, Nats and went up 3-1 against the Giants.

Case and point. They had no business being there.

This plan is nice on paper but in common sense, it just doesn't work. Just leave it at 4 and it would be perfect. In fact, I wish the NBA, NFL, and NHL should reduce the number of teams in the postseason to 6 or even 4 teams so it favors teams who actually win their divisions. It would generate more interest and money for the league (Quality > Quantity) and shorten the postseason (which is a huge problem in the NBA and NHL). March Madness could also need reduction to 64 or 56 teams and reduce the auto-bids of smaller conferences so there is more quality in the tournament (which again drives more interest and money).

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

I think what they have is perfect now, although I wouldn't complain if the LCS went back to 5 and the season went back to 154. The wild card team doesn't deserve to be on equal footing as a division champ (as long as the schedule is unbalanced), and that's what happened in the pre-2012 system. If you don't want to have your 162-game season come down to one game, win your division. No excuses.

I think what they have is perfect now, although I wouldn't complain if the LCS went back to 5 and the season went back to 154. The wild card team doesn't deserve to be on equal footing as a division champ (as long as the schedule is unbalanced), and that's what happened in the pre-2012 system. If you don't want to have your 162-game season come down to one game, win your division. No excuses.

In fairness, division winners only need to have a better record than 4 teams, Wild Cards have to beat out 10.

I am in the stark minority of those who like this...not just because my Brewers would've gotten in, either.

Playoff upsets are what make it exciting...we had a #4 seed winning the Super Bowl, a #8 seed winning the Stanley Cup, a #3 seed winning the World Series, a college football National Champion whose one loss was late in the season...and if you're telling me Norfolk State and Lehigh's upset wins didn't spice up your March Madness experience last year, that'd be a bold-faced lie.

So it's an idea whose time has come...

bYhYmxh.png

Archived