rvrdgsfn

2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

@See Red

Well off the top of my head, Kahne got in trouble with Kyle Busch at the 500, Talladega, Darlington, had trouble on lap 1 at Pocono, Blew a tire at Michigan, got bumped by Johnson at Daytona, then taken out with 5 to go at the Glen, and finally rear ended Johnson after Gordon blew one of his many restarts at Atlanta. Almost every one of those he was in the top 10, and I know a hand full were in the lead or trying to take the lead. Kahne is in the chase because he won two races. Kahne earned that wild card for not rolling over when he experienced all sorts of issues. Jeff didn't have much luck, that's true. But what he did in the races where he wasn't taken out wasn't good enough.

You say Gordon blew his restarts but cars have had issues in the outside lane on restarts at Atlanta for a few years, so it's hard to really put that on him. I'm not saying Kahne doesn't deserve to make the chase, but the idea that Gordon doesn't is ridiculous to me. He had terrible luck this year and was relatively comfortably in position for the chase when the Bowyer wreck happened.

SN: Looks like we got our first look at the truck of tomorrow Kyle Busch unveiled the Toyota Tundra

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/toyota-highlights-toyota-unveils-2014-194306459.html

IMO: Upgrade, I can't wait to see the Silverado & F-150

EDIT:

1677257476001_2667951972001_nascar-nscs-

Edited by rvrdgsfn

I'm a huge Gordon fan and Gordon has downright sucked at restarts this year.

Yes he has. But I don't blame him for Atlanta. Sadly enough the one really good restart he had was at Pocono and Kahne got that huuuge push from, was it Kurt Busch(?) and just blew by him.

Also the new truck looks better. The front end actually looks like that of a truck.

Rumblings out of Chicagoland: 13 Chase drivers

We shall know soon: Brian France is in Chicago. Stayed tuned, presser at 3:55 ET

Gordon has been given a 1250 point BONUS points, making him the 13th driver of the 2013 chase. Right move by NASCAR.

Also, Penske and Front Row have been put on probation. No penalties, no suspensions, just probation. Not sure if I would've done that, but better to be safe than sorry. I expect a rule change over the offseason for next year over this entire situation so it won't happen again.

Can they please dump the idiotic Chase system now? It's added nothing to the sport.

This is just...so ridiculous. From Bowyer "accidentally" spinning out, to some "collaboration" between David Gilliland and Joey Logano, this entire situation snowballed for NASCAR.

There was only one correct thing to and that was to put Newman and Jeff Gordon into the Chase, which they did.

The only other thing I would of done is made logano & bowyer start last in the chase, Beciedes that I'm content.

The chase needs to go. And NASCAR needs to stop making up rules as they go. It's a dangerous precedent to just add a 13th guy, as fair as it might have been.

I'd eliminate the Chase and make the Sprint Cup just on points.

But to keep the end of season interest in a season with a runaway points winner, I'd have a Winners Race of the (up to) top 16 drivers with the most wins (ties broken by points). One race, only those 16 drivers. If there are not 16 different winners, then less cars compete. No substitute drivers. Checkers hamburgers could sponsor it since only those who've claimed a checkered flag get a chance to be invited.

Pardon me as I go full oddball with this post

Right move by NASCAR.

No.

There was only one correct thing to and that was to put Newman and Jeff Gordon into the Chase, which they did.

No.

but under the circumstances, they HAD to include Gordon.

No.

Allow me to explain a bit. Yes, I totally think Gordon got screwed over with everything at Richmond. However, I don't think NASCAR should, in essence, totally throw the entire structure of its series out the window just for the sake of "doing what's right." Other leagues don't add teams to playoffs just because something was wrong before they started. You can't just change things on a whim like that. With the Penske/Front Row situation, I feel like you either stick to the precedent you had set earlier in the week, swapping Logano for Gordon a la Bowyer for Newman if they were found guilty, or you don't penalize them at all if the evidence is not sufficient. Instead, you get a totally patchworked solution where you don't really penalize Logano, but you throw all the rules you set out in place for Gordon to get in, making your 12 driver playoff a sham. Which, well, we can have that debate on the Chase at any time, but just roll along with me for a second.

On top of that, why do I think I'm not alone in thinking if Gordon wasn't a Hendrick guy, he wouldn't be getting this 13th spot? If any organization has gotten gift calls on gift calls on gift calls through the years, it's Hendrick. For example, basically every Chad Knaus suspension/Johnson points reduction gets appealed. Most of the time that appeal is won. If it isn't, some completely obscure last entrance of appeal accepts it like that one time they did for Johnson. Now don't get me wrong, RCR gets the benefit of no calls quite a bit, but I just don't see Penske or JGR or MWR getting this same benefit of the doubt. /takes off tin foil hat

So yeah, this ended up going from a cluster:censored: to an extreme cluster:censored: and NASCAR ended up, instead of coming to a clear solution, made things even worse in the end.

Also, Gordon could have avoided this scenario by winning a race at any point this year. NASCAR essentially changed the rules of their sport at the last second to accommodate a driver with zero wins and 5 DNF's this season.

i see your point ryan,but if a sport can prove cheating in season then they would do something along that line, if john doe was 13th in points he gotten in, it just so happened to be gordon, bottom line.

Also, Gordon could have avoided this scenario by winning a race at any point this year. NASCAR essentially changed the rules of their sport at the last second to accommodate a driver with zero wins and 5 DNF's this season.

You act like DNF's are entirely the drivers fault. As if tires and engines don't blow and other guys don't wreck out there. Can Gordon help it if Bobby Labonte spins out into him on the sixth lap at Michigan? Or Kenseth swerves into him at Daytona?

As far as "changing the structure" -- the other sports can't do it, NASCAR can with zero consequence. If NASCAR didn't add Jeff Gordon to the chase, Jeff Gordon and his team would still bring their car to Michigan, still practice and qualify, and still race and try and win the race.

Ryan, how do you know Joey Logano and Penske aren't getting the benefit of the doubt here? There is a lot of reason to believe his team was a part of something that questioned the integrity of NASCAR, whether it's an old practice or not. As far as I'm concerned, Penske is the one getting the benefit from NASCAR here.

NASCAR had to cover their behinds some way. Leaving Gordon out of the Chase would've just kept the floodgates of aggression and anger flowing.

NASCAR is trying to get every fan happy, and by doing that they have to bend the rules and make what was a 12-driver Chase, a 13-driver one.

I want New Hampshire being the first race of the Chase again. It's not a boring cookie-cutter. It's just a smaller, tamer version of pre-1997 Atlanta.