Worst sports logos ever

SFforever

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sabreconcept1.jpg

It took two pages for this to come up?

Maybe everyone else realized that as much as it's despised, it's nowhere near as bad as what's been posted already, hence, it doesn't belong here. But thanks for being that guy.

You're that guy who doesn't know how to answer anything without being snarky and a wannabe moderator.

Yes, it's very bad. Considering the resources and time put into it, the finished product and reaction are as bad as anything. It's a major-league logo done with major-league money, major-league technology, and major-league people, but that's the result. Pretty bad.

Don't be a (censored) and a know-it-all, when I'm guessing you don't know (censored).

Holy :censored:. I think we have a winner.

Yes, the Buffaslug sucks and the Ravens helmet logo has issues, but to choose those, you really ought to set it up with "worst of the major sports leagues". Because logos like this one and Canton Ice Patrol cannot be touched by the big leagues. Look at this and imagine if the Brooklyn Nets tried to use some variation of it; we'd be longing for their boring logo.

Additionally, please think of this logo when you feel like logos need to be "fierce" or "intimidating".

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

sabreconcept1.jpg

Maybe everyone else realized that as much as it's despised, it's nowhere near as bad as what's been posted already, hence, it doesn't belong here. But thanks for being that guy.

You're that guy who doesn't know how to answer anything without being snarky and a wannabe moderator.

Yes, it's very bad. Considering the resources and time put into it, the finished product and reaction are as bad as anything. It's a major-league logo done with major-league money, major-league technology, and major-league people, but that's the result. Pretty bad.

Don't be a (censored) and a know-it-all, when I'm guessing you don't know (censored).

Imma just leave this right here:

Buffalo Sabres Early Conceptual Work

I highly advise y'all read through this—ALL THE WAY through this—and then come back and re-read your posts. Might open some things up in your minds a little bit.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

sabreconcept1.jpg

Imma just leave this right here:

Buffalo Sabres Early Conceptual Work

I highly advise y'all read through this—ALL THE WAY through this—and then come back and re-read your posts. Might open some things up in your minds a little bit.

I've read that all the way through before. While it certainly lets you in on the processes and thoughts that went into the BuffaSlug's creation it ultimately doesn't make the logo any better. Easier to understand, perhaps, but not any better.

Your last sentence is precisely why I posted that link...so those who've not yet seen it (we've had quite the influx of n00bies around here lately :P) can view it, and at least try to gain a better understanding of the process behind this stuff. Taste is subjective, of course—we all know that—and certain end products just ain't gon' be our cup of tea sometimes. Anyone's welcome to critique, but I think it's important to understand the process of it all...how it got to where it ended up, from what the original concept might've looked like. That's all that is.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Oh I agree completely. That the Sabres wanted a "modern classic" like what the Houston Texans have certainly made me look at the BuffaSlug in a whole new light.

My post wasn't directed at you so much as it was directed at people who insist that the logo suddenly becomes good once you understand the story behind it.

I certainly appreciate the talent of the artist, understand the restraints he was working within, and I even see what he was trying to do.

I've read that whole piece and it's fascinating. It also shows what can happen when a logo comes from groupthink.

It doesn't excuse the total lousiness of the logo, which all things considered, is in my opinion the worst logo in American sports history. I don't expect much from a crappy minor league team with zero budget, but the Buffalo Sabres are different. It doesn't matter who's at fault for the process behind the logo, just that it's an awful failure of a logo.

I've been going through some United States Basketball League team color sets...that league had some really bad graphics...this one in particular:

Surf_Banner_Corner_final.png

You win. That thing is horrifying.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

If the Buffalo Bills did a similar logo, we would be calling it a good modernization. While I don't think the logo itself is bad, it just looks bad on a hockey sweater. On a football helmet it's really not that bad looking. Which I think lies the problem with the logo.

^ I meant to quote this initially...anyway, here's a different version (I like this one better myself):

BuffaloBills_PropHRS0200a_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

This really doesn't look that bad and is a perfectly acceptable modernization of the Bills logo. so i conclude that it isn't necessarily a bad logo, just looked bad for the team and medium used.

Good god that LI Surf logo is horrible.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I've been going through some United States Basketball League team color sets...that league had some really bad graphics...this one in particular:

Surf_Banner_Corner_final.png

You win. That thing is horrifying.

+1

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

...we gotta put an end to all these "these are my opinions, show me your opinions so we can fight and disagree!" threads...

They've been done countless times before, and it's especially painful when the OP has only 8 posts...

Completely disagree. They're some of the best threads on this site. And anyone should be able to post a new thread regardless of how many posts they have.

I don't mind "themed" threads like "Favourite one-offs", but a flat-out "logos I don't like" thread is pretty predictable, redundant, and uninteresting to read.

Then don't read it?

Also, pretty much every logo to come out of the Federal Hockey League is the worst ever.

http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_league/113/Federal_Hockey_League/N/logos/

70389454.png

If the Buffalo Bills did a similar logo, we would be calling it a good modernization. While I don't think the logo itself is bad, it just looks bad on a hockey sweater. On a football helmet it's really not that bad looking. Which I think lies the problem with the logo.

^ I meant to quote this initially...anyway, here's a different version (I like this one better myself):

BuffaloBills_PropHRS0200a_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

This really doesn't look that bad and is a perfectly acceptable modernization of the Bills logo. so i conclude that it isn't necessarily a bad logo, just looked bad for the team and medium used.

thats about what i was going to say. i never thought of the Sabers logo as a bad one, ive always liked it. you see it on a football helmet and it looks pretty cool really. the reason that failed, IMO, is not because its not a well executed logo, or that it's a bad idea/concept, but its just that it wasnt the right thing for the right people. its a lesson in appropriateness.

the reason we create identities is to be unique, to separate one thing from its competitors. the thing is though, not a lot of people want to be unique (regardless of what they might say) they actually want to fit in with everyone else, and thats why you have standard aesthetics from sport to sport; thats why it's hard to do something really forward thinking and fresh because you're going against the aesthetic of that niche's culture. so when creating a new mark, you usually see color and type being the only real thing that is new or different from the others. it's especially hard if the company being represented isnt willing to stand behind it and instead let their audience define them, rather than themselves finding an audience of like-minded people (which is brand building and it takes years to do). i guess thats not so wrong if you want to earn a lot of money (which keeps the team/business going) but it will never push design forward.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived