The Dead Ball Society

satansgoalie

I finished watching Ken Burns Baseball the other day and I got to thinking about the Dead Ball era and how it must have had a completely different feel compared to todays game. I thought it would be cool if there was a modern league that played that way ie. low scoring games and few home runs. With that in mind I started playing around with some concepts. I chose an iconic shot of Ty Cobb for the primary inspiration.

j5wo04.jpg

Some really nice concepts you've got there. The Ty Cobb image doesn't really feel like a logo to me, but it'd work as an apparel graphic. Of the logos that you have below that, the top row on the far right is absolutely gorgeous, and I really like the bottom row far left as well. The top right logo though is the most complete of them all and works the best for a logo - that's a great piece and should go in your portfolio. You may want to massage the color a bit since right now there's not enough contrast and the logos get a bit muddy, but that's a minor concern. Nice work here for sure.

OD_Signature.jpg

My only issue is with the inclusion of a cap with a white front panel. That is something you never would have seen during the deadball era. Perhaps you could rework those logos to include a white top to the cap with piping on the seams. That would allow you to have a light space for the DB monogram while not making the rest of the cap too plain.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I really like these. Two points of criticism:

1. The modern-style white-front cap should be replaced with something more fitting to the time. They actually wore all-white caps (or white w/ colored bill), but they had a different shape (flatter and sat higher on the head). A secondary style was the cap that was like a cylinder. When I see a hat like that with "DB" on it, I don't think of "dead ball," but of a German bank or a bag for hygienic purposes.

2. The Cobb image doesn't work for me. I think it'd make for a better logo if you showed something that better articulated the dead ball era, like a batter forward on his front foot with a heavy bat or a pitcher in a dead-ball era wind-up.

Archived