• Created
  • Last Reply

The Huskies used to be one of college football's classiest looking programs

10-30_uw-stanford_tuia_run-sp.jpg

vs.

AP742259606553.jpg

Just a few years ago they were wearing this:

MG_5421.jpg

But that doesn't move recruits to your program apparently. I hate the era College Football is in right now.

The fact that baseball went from its 70s era to where it is now gives me hope

good point. I think what's happened is much like baseball in the 70's, and the NBA/NHL in the 90's new technologies have emerged and designers can't help themselves but go crazy with them at the expense of aesthetic or restraint or good taste. For 70's baseball it was polyester and elastic, for the 90's NBA/NHL it was sublimation, and today in college football we have all these new techniques for finishing a helmet and designers are running wild.

What always happened in every case was taste always swung back to respectability and exorcising restraint when applying the new techniques which resulted in more timeless/less dated looks instead of just using the newest hottest trend just because it's now at your fingertips. I have no doubt in 15 years we'll look back on this era of college football and laugh at the garish things these programs are running their kids out in.

PvO6ZWJ.png

My hope is that Oregon getting embarassed in two National Championship games in which they didn't wear their school colors will lead to them finally wearing their actual colors for a title game and winning, thus prompting them to only wear school colors and setting a trend to reverse these idiotic floodgates they opened over a decade ago.

9+Major+Harris.jpgWest Virginia circa 1988I've always been a sucker for yellow and blue or yellow and black. I love the simple pants striping. I wish the Rams would go to a 2 color Navy and YELLOW uniform like this and lose white on the home uniforms.

WVU had some great uniforms back then. Today's uniforms don't hold a candle to those.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

I hated these IU unis. You should never, ever feature a color that is a primary color of your biggest rival (Purdue) unless it is actually one of your main school colors. Indiana is officially cream and crimson. No black.

When IU broke out the all black version of this uni set against Kentucky the legend is that Bob Knight ripped into Cam Cameron (the football coach at that time) about the team wearing Purdue's colors. Of course being Bob Knight, it was said in a much more "colorful" manner.

indiana-antwan-randle-el.jpg

Antwaan Randle El 2001 Indiana Hoosiers

The part about that indiana uniform that bothers me the most is that they created a look that doesn't match any of the other sports at indiana at the time. The helmet alone is the biggest problem. its actually a good looking helmet and as previously mentioned, in a vacuum they would be fine. But it is painted a color that not only isn't part of their scheme, but of a rival in-state school. To top it off, its helmet sticker is a logo that isn't used anywhere else in the athletic department. If you looked at indiana basketball and football from that time, you wouldn't know they were from the same school.

The part about that indiana uniform that bothers me the most is that they created a look that doesn't match any of the other sports at indiana at the time. The helmet alone is the biggest problem. its actually a good looking helmet and as previously mentioned, in a vacuum they would be fine. But it is painted a color that not only isn't part of their scheme, but of a rival in-state school. To top it off, its helmet sticker is a logo that isn't used anywhere else in the athletic department. If you looked at indiana basketball and football from that time, you wouldn't know they were from the same school.

Edit: N/M...you were talking about the Randle-El set, and not the 2000s crimson set.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived