Retro college Football unis

grabursock5

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schedule-1983_Fball_Buffs_medium.jpg

1982 Colorado. An interesting turn. School colors are (or were) silver and gold, so not sure where the blue came from, but I like it.

20130402__03DCSFRBW.jpg

Here is, I think their previous year's version of the uniform. Doesn't work as well with grey numbers. CU seems to struggle incorporating a balance of gold and silver over the years.

They did a pretty good job of using both during the Dan Hawkins era.

92602539_crop_650x440.jpg?1296600257

And as far as the sky blue goes, I'm not exactly sure why they began using it, but during the 80's the school let each individual sports teams choose whether they wanted to use black or sky blue. Football chose sky blue.

YDXECCCBXZITFXZ.20090917225124.jpg

This was my favorite look with silver - the mid-to-late 90s split number set. I own a couple jerseys in this style...they are pretty cool. The sleeve stripes are awesome, I think.

Here's the history behind the blue (never to be worn again) uniforms/helmets.

bluecu_zpsb6c592ed.jpg

In reply to SJAnfield,

this is from a spring game last year i think.

art1a.jpg

Im just going off of cleats and gloves being worn, but that picture has to be at least 4 years old....Even if they still wore the nike uniforms for practice, I couldn't see them not having Under Armour cleats and gloves

It may be a bit older than that even, the NCAA hasn't allowed tinted visors for a while now and they wouldn't allow them to be worn even in a spring game.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

1982 Colorado. An interesting turn. School colors are (or were) silver and gold, so not sure where the blue came from, but I like it.

The blue came from the CU Board of Regents, to look like the "Colorado sky at 9000 feet" (according to Wikipedia). One of the better unis is when CU went back to black unis, but had blue and gold stripes on the sleeves. Not many black, gold, and dark sky blue schools.

Eureka! I found it:

512x.jpg

Ah8p3hp.jpg

I couldn't believe it, so I had to see for myself. Once I found out that "the football jersey had a blue stripe on the arm for the 1985, 1986 and 1987 seasons before it was dropped altogether in 1988", I checked out what happened in those seasons on Wikipedia and saw that they were in bowl games in 1985 (losing to UDub in the Freedom Bowl) and 1986 (losing to Baylor in the Bluebonnet Bowl, pictured above).

(I know this thread hasn't been posted in for a while but I couldn't pass up posting this here for the reason OP stated: this thread should be a database of hard-to-find retro college football unis.)

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Maryland -- Late 70s.

As a kid back then, I thought the helmet logo was just a faded red (which sort of describes the left picture). It was actually black and gold (as shown by the right picture, which appears to be a better print of the same shot).

515bciRZ6RL._SY355_.jpgunivarch-002207-0001-medium.jpg

I don't think that uniform necessarily qualifies as hard to find. However, I always thought of Maryland as a red and white school until Bobby Ross showed up and adopted these uniforms (and the basketball team added gold alts).

72916311-quarterback-boomer-esiason-of-t

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The blue came from the CU Board of Regents, to look like the "Colorado sky at 9000 feet" (according to Wikipedia). One of the better unis is when CU went back to black unis, but had blue and gold stripes on the sleeves. Not many black, gold, and dark sky blue schools.

Eureka! I found it:

512x.jpg

Ah8p3hp.jpg

I couldn't believe it, so I had to see for myself. Once I found out that "the football jersey had a blue stripe on the arm for the 1985, 1986 and 1987 seasons before it was dropped altogether in 1988", I checked out what happened in those seasons on Wikipedia and saw that they were in bowl games in 1985 (losing to UDub in the Freedom Bowl) and 1986 (losing to Baylor in the Bluebonnet Bowl, pictured above).

(I know this thread hasn't been posted in for a while but I couldn't pass up posting this here for the reason OP stated: this thread should be a database of hard-to-find retro college football unis.)

Love how they just spray painted right over the face masks...

Maryland -- Late 70s.

As a kid back then, I thought the helmet logo was just a faded red (which sort of describes the left picture). It was actually black and gold (as shown by the right picture, which appears to be a better print of the same shot).

Looks like these are two different photos - possibly just minutes apart? Notice how the hair frames the face differently, and the helmet and left arm are different angles.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Maryland -- Late 70s.

Looks like these are two different photos - possibly just minutes apart? Notice how the hair frames the face differently, and the helmet and left arm are different angles.

You're right. I hadn't noticed that. Also, the "striped" building on his right falls in a much different location in each picture.

Either way, the colors are much different, to the point that the M in the left picture almost looks red.

Also, I think the pants stripe is black-gold-black, which highlights how inconsistent it is that there is (1) no gold on the jersey and (2) no red on the pants and helmet.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Eureka! I found it:

512x.jpg

Ah8p3hp.jpg

Those Baylor jerseys were ahead of their time with the paws on the shoulders.

Archived