Wrestling no longer an Olympic sport starting in 2020

charger77

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again those are all disciplines of a sport. Race Walking is within Track, Rhythm Gymnastics is part of Gymnastics. Dressage is within Equestrian. Solo Synchronized Swimming (if it still was a official sport, suspended in 1992) would be under Synchronized Swimming. You'd have to get rid of all of Track, all of Gymnastics, all of Equestrian, all of Synchronized Swimming in order to save wrestling. (at least by the rules that the IOC have set up)

Asking about those is like saying "Greco Roman Wrestling Heavyweights should be removed but all other wrestling remains."

I won't argue that Equestrian should be part of the olympics, cause I think there are other sports that are Olympic worthy. It is a sport and I won't say its "Just riding horses" or anything, but if Equestrian is in, why not Horse Racing?

I'll just that I am happy that the uproar over the IOC's decision to eliminate wrestling is this loud, because I think there's a very good chance they may back track on it and bring it back. I did not think they were expecting this much outrage with giving wrestling the boot and do not think it would have even been considered if they knew there was going to be this much backlash.

They've managed to sneak a lot of unpopular decisions through but this time they caught with their hand in the cookie jar and its not something that people are just going to forget about or eventually come to terms with. Anytime the IOC is looking to eliminate/add sports people who are normally silent on the matter are going to become very vocal about wrestling.

I have a decent amount of faith that the vote will get reversed and the IOC may already be discussing the logistics of how to go about doing it.

For those of you that are unfamiliar with the wonder that is The Iron Shiek, this is a must read. Those familiar with his work will understand completley!

WWE Hall of Famer The Iron Sheik, who competed for Iran in the 1968 Olympics and then became an assistant coach for Team USA in the 1970's, is not pleased about the International Olympic Committee's decision to remove wrestling from the Olympics starting in 2020. The Sheik told TMZ.com today:

"After 1000 years they take away the best sport in the world? This is the first time the dumb mother:censored:ers have no balls for they make the walking an Olympic sport."

"If I see anybody on the street that work from the IOC I swear to the Jesus I suplex them put them in camel clutch break their back make them humble."

"The #TEAMSHEIKIE respect the Olympic now they can all go :censored: themselves and make the Curling Olympic sport because they all the biggest piece of no good s**t and I never watch the Olympic again. Also buy my t shirt [on my website] or go :censored: yourself.”

Iron Sheik also tweeted these messages today:

"I wake up i get phone call from my agents @pagemagen he tell me no more wrestling in the Olympics it break my heart forever"

":censored: THE IOC #teamsheikie"

"IOC I :censored: you up you disrespect the legend and my only sport Wrestling. They have no d*ck they make new sport of go :censored: yourself"

Read more at http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/Iron_Sheik_Talks_About_The_IOC_Removing_Wrestling_From_The_Olympics.html#37TbAm8Eeh6sWfqS.99

DLWatt.png

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On February 13, 2013 at 5:53 AM, max said:

If we're changing the Olympics, I heard a great idea a long time ago:

Gold Medal - World Record

Silver Medal - Olympic Record

Bronze Medal - Making the Olympics

So, all competitors get at least a bronze medal, then if they break the OR or WR, they get Silver or Gold along with Bronze, or all three if they break the OR and WR.

*I'll venture to say that this would only work in timed sports/strange mixed-event events...

I am surprised equestrian hasn't gone yet. Seems a little too "traditional" (stupid clothes, helpless animals).

Terrible idea. Thought this was sarcasm as I first started reading. If there is one single issue with sports in America, it is the trophy society that kids are currently growing up in. The idea that everybody should get a trophy pretty much eliminates the core if what it means to participate in a sport. Yes, you build relationships, you build self esteem and so on. But you can still do that without winning. Winning is the ultimate goal of a sport, not a medal, not even relationships. Relationships, self-esteem come naturally win or lose just through participation. The consequences in the idea of sports being reversed will be visible beyond childhood years and some of those co sequences are already visible.. kids can't believe it these days when they don't earn a grade in school, they are confused why a teacher would give them less than a B. In many cases they truly don't understand what it means to earn your way through hard work. 

39 minutes ago, mvon said:

Terrible idea. Thought this was sarcasm as I first started reading. If there is one single issue with sports in America, it is the trophy society that kids are currently growing up in. The idea that everybody should get a trophy pretty much eliminates the core if what it means to participate in a sport. Yes, you build relationships, you build self esteem and so on. But you can still do that without winning. Winning is the ultimate goal of a sport, not a medal, not even relationships. Relationships, self-esteem come naturally win or lose just through participation. The consequences in the idea of sports being reversed will be visible beyond childhood years and some of those co sequences are already visible.. kids can't believe it these days when they don't earn a grade in school, they are confused why a teacher would give them less than a B. In many cases they truly don't understand what it means to earn your way through hard work. 

Well, you get a participation ribbon for bumping a 3 year old thread with your first post.

On February 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM, pcgd said:

Again those are all disciplines of a sport. Race Walking is within Track, Rhythm Gymnastics is part of Gymnastics. Dressage is within Equestrian. Solo Synchronized Swimming (if it still was a official sport, suspended in 1992) would be under Synchronized Swimming. You'd have to get rid of all of Track, all of Gymnastics, all of Equestrian, all of Synchronized Swimming in order to save wrestling. (at least by the rules that the IOC have set up)

Asking about those is like saying "Greco Roman Wrestling Heavyweights should be removed but all other wrestling remains."

I won't argue that Equestrian should be part of the olympics, cause I think there are other sports that are Olympic worthy. It is a sport and I won't say its "Just riding horses" or anything, but if Equestrian is in, why not Horse Racing?

Forgive my ignorance here, but what is solo synchronized swimming? What or who are you synchronized with?

Archived