American Rugby Union

nas1787

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, it's been a wild few weeks! Very little free time. But I'm back with the final two concepts. I really didn't want to leave this unfinished. I know there are some tweaks that I want to do, but they will likely have to wait a bit. For now, here are Atlanta and Washington.

For Atlanta I really liked the imagery of the Phoenix, and Atlanta rising from the ashes of the Civil War. I wanted to use the name Phoenix Atlanta, but that would be confusing for obvious reasons. So instead I went with the generic Atlanta RFC. The kit colours are meant to be fire-y. Orange has been under-used in the ARU, so I made it the primary. All yellow alternate.

UWWk3yy.jpg

FF7vOnc.jpg

Washington I decided to steer away from red, white and blue. I tried going with white, black and silver, but found it needed some colour. So I replaced silver with red, and liked it. It also helps that DC United wears the same colours. From there, it was natural to use the DC flag in the home kit. The alternate features the one and only gradient in the competition. Simple crest, and Marriot as shirt sponsor. Hope you like it.

zOb4eOW.jpg

ZKquuOi.jpg

Noticing that the ARU was lacking in purple (much as the CRP was) I decided for Dallas I was definitely going to use purple. After trying out a few colours to go with it, I thought teal looked really great. They might not have anything to do with Dallas or Bulls, but oh well.

I had a hard time finding a name that I liked for Dallas. Someone suggested Bulls, and while I don't think it's the greatest name in the world, I do think it's well within the realm of what a club from Dallas might actually call themselves.

The crest features an angry bull head with a rugby ball holding shape in behind. Both kits feature slanted stripes, with the home being much bolder than the alternate. C&C appreciated. And just two clubs left to go (Atlanta and Washington)!

EooogwK.jpg

yE8Dlff.jpg

Hey nas!

I'm super late to the game, but as a Dallasite I feel I have some things to say. First, I just want to say that this has been an extremely impressive series. One of my favorites I've seen while lurking these boards. New York especially wowed me. That is a bold, instantly iconic design.

However, I feel like Dallas' whole set is a bit slapdash, which I think you'd agree with. In a vacuum that's a totally fine (and bold!) design, but unlike just about every other entry, it really has nothing to do with Dallas. (Except for the name Bulls and bull logo, which would be fine, if not for FC Dallas already using a bull as their main logo.)

I do think there is a fairly simple solution that can bridge the purple and teal and Dallas a bit better, though. Have you considered the Pegasus? Atop the Magnolia Hotel (formally the Mobil Oil Company headquarters) spins the majestic Pegasus! For a few decades, before the big 80s skyscraper boom, the Magnolia Hotel was the tallest building in Dallas, and the bright red spinning Pegasus would let those driving into town, from any direction, know that they were getting close. The Pegasus has since become a local icon. You'll find it on signs and art and in sculpture all over town.

I think that with a Pegasus as the main crest, you'd have a much clearer connection with the town. Also, the Dallas Rugby Club already uses a Pegasus in their crest, so there would be some continuity with Dallas' rugby history. And lastly, a mythical beast would go better with the purple and teal, I believe. After all, who says that a Pegasus can't be purple and teal?

I don't think that Dallas Pegasuses would be a particularly good name, as it's super cumbersome on the tongue, but Dallas RFC or RFC Dallas (to parallel FC Dallas a bit) would be fine. That way, you have your bold purple, a more direct connection with Dallas, and you avoid the Western Theme that I think many Dallasites are a bit tired of.

Hope this spurs on some ideas. This really is a great series.

pegasus-dallas-1.jpg

Pegasus!

Thanks fillmont. I agree with you. I don't know a ton about Dallas and struggled to find a name I liked before settling on the fairly bland Bulls. I had never heard of the pegasus until GotPixels used it for the Dallas team in his Texas rugby series. For that reason, I don't really want to use it in my own, even though I agree it would be a fantastic symbol to use.

Beautiful stuff Nas. Love the Atlanta set. Slightly off topic, but did you see these?

sevens-one-008.jpg

I had not seen these, but I've got to say, they are kind of awesome. Are those for 15s or 7s?

Thanks fillmont. I agree with you. I don't know a ton about Dallas and struggled to find a name I liked before settling on the fairly bland Bulls. I had never heard of the pegasus until GotPixels used it for the Dallas team in his Texas rugby series. For that reason, I don't really want to use it in my own, even though I agree it would be a fantastic symbol to use.

Beautiful stuff Nas. Love the Atlanta set. Slightly off topic, but did you see these?

sevens-one-008.jpg

I had not seen these, but I've got to say, they are kind of awesome. Are those for 15s or 7s?

7's

Old Dog Learning New Tricks.

That makes sense, 7s jersey's tend to be a little more out there. There would probably be outrage in England if these were used in 15s. What's your opinion of them?

I like them, but if you close one eye, you can see the great pumpkin. J/K.

The alternate is my favorite.

Old Dog Learning New Tricks.

• 3 months later...

That makes sense, 7s jersey's tend to be a little more out there. There would probably be outrage in England if these were used in 15s. What's your opinion of them?

Any chance you'd feel like expanding on the league to 20 teams or 30 teams?

I have no plans to expand the ARU at this time, no. If you're interested in making your own concepts, give it a go!

• 2 weeks later...

You should do,

EAST

*Islanders RFC (Long Island)

*Baltimore Moonlight RFC

*Big Easy Pirates (New Orleans, Flueir-de-Rugby ball logo?)

*Motor City RFC (Detroit)

WEST

*OKC Warriors RFC (Indians)

*Phoenix Flame RFC

*Denver Mountaineers

*Duke City Suns (Alberquerque)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey Nas...I'm late to the game with this thread but I must say you have done a wonderful job on the ARU like you did on the Canadian counterpart. The only thing I find a little too American about it is the split East/West Divisions. I have always believed rugby, like football/soccer, should be a single table format league. There are still Qualification Finals, Semi-finals and a Grand Final but that should be based on single table not winners of East meeting winners of West. But great work nonetheless mate!

Archived