American Rugby Union

nas1787

I've got to say that Sons of Liberty RFC would be an AWESOME name for Boston (or Philly or Washington for that matter).

And yeah...those four cities were struggles for name suggestions. Here are some more for those four:

Los Angeles: Archangels RFC (may be too similar to the LA Angels but whatever) -- Olympians RFC (hosted an Olympics) -- Los Angeles Sharks (by the beach) -- Los Angeles Saracens -- Los Angeles Tigers (last two names are tributes to two very successful English teams)

Atlanta: No idea any more.

Dallas: Dallas 1856 -- Dallas Brazos RFC

Washington: Washington Potomacs (the river in DC) -- Nova Washington (Nova is the nickname for nearby Northern Virginia, which the team will no doubt draw a lot of supporters from, plus there's the whole exploding star thing) -- Independent Washington (not explaining) -- Washington Minutemen (same)

As for an alternate to Las Vegas, because of the issues with Sin City RFC: Las Vegas Blackjacks? Las Vegas Aces? Las Vegas Bandits?

One other idea: are you taking ideas for the name/logo of the ARU Championship? I'd like to suggest the Carroll Cup (or the Danny Carroll Cup) after the Australian-born rugby player and coach who was a part of the US Olympic championship team in 1920 and was their coach in 1924.

sport-scarf_devils_zps117fda40.png

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Washington= Liberty RFC, Columbia Athletic Club RFC, Washington Metro RFC

Dallas= Red River RFC, Victory Park RFC, Dallas Blues

Atlanta= Centennial Park RFC, Peachtree RFC, Millennial Gate RFC, Atlanta Reds

LA= Sun City RFC, Pacific Olympic RFC, Racing Metro, Coastal Metro RFC

For Minneapolis I went with the suggested name of Minnesota Voyageurs. I really like Voyageurs, it's a great name. For the crest I took inspiration from the Hipster Branding tumblr. I wanted something nice and simple. The crest features a compass/star in the middle, along with two crossed canoe paddles. The home shirt has a gingham pattern to it, much like Man U'd current kits. I think it works with the Voyageurs theme. The alt is pretty plain, just some piping on front and back. The colours are green and grey, just because I liked them together.

gaslUoa.jpg

RZHWpgJ.jpg

Thanks everyone! Glad you're enjoying the series. I'll hopefully have another club up before the end of the weekend.

One other idea: are you taking ideas for the name/logo of the ARU Championship? I'd like to suggest the Carroll Cup (or the Danny Carroll Cup) after the Australian-born rugby player and coach who was a part of the US Olympic championship team in 1920 and was their coach in 1924.

I haven't thought this far ahead. Ideally I'll do some collateral designs for both the CRP and ARU, and then design some sort of North American Championship to be contested by the champions of each competition. Feel free to suggest names for any of this, but it will be awhile before I get to it.

Next up is Boston. I really liked the suggestion of Boston Harps, so that's what this club is. I knew I wanted to use green, but added gold as well to make it a bit different from the Celtics (as well as the St. Pats in the CRP). The crest features a harp as well as a celtic knot band along the top. I used the knot in the home jersey as a strip along the chest. The alternate has diagonal stripes which are meant to remind you a bit of a harp's strings. Sam Adams seemed like a real fitting shirt sponsor.

Not too sure when the next will be up. I don't have anything else really lined up yet, and a pretty busy week coming up. Which club would you like to see next?

tStlejR.jpg

d4Ojl5s.jpg

This is my favorite so far. Harps is a great name for the club, and your uniform design, not only the colors, is very Ireland. Great job on this one.

My one suggestion might be to try the knot pattern down the sides of the shorts just to experiment, it might be too much but it's worth a shot.

As for which club to try next, I would try Miami, maybe Miami Flamingos or Tropical Miami and try using a little pink in the scheme.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Ahem....yay for being responsible for yet another name (4 out of 6!)...and beautiful work.

I think the use of the celtic knot is a great idea, and quite unique. I second the idea of trying the knot down the side of the shorts as an experiment. I really like that shade of gold, by the way.

One thing I would suggest is using different shades of green for Boston and Minneapolis. The teams look too much a like if you use the same shade. Personally, I would go with dark green for the Harps because I think it would look good with gold.

Are they the same shade? They're close, but I feel like the Voyageurs' is brighter. I also think they're distinct enough. That said, a hunter green or a brunswick green might look good with the gold.

Also, throw my vote for next team to anyone out west (Denver, Houston, or Seattle perhaps?).

sport-scarf_devils_zps117fda40.png

The greens are indeed different, but you're right that they're very close. I'll try out a darker green for Boston to see how that goes.

Cohen, I was already planning to use pink for Miami. I'm thinking of going for a real 80s Miami Vice kind of feel.

I'll try and do a West team next, just to try and keep it even.

Archived