American Rugby Union

nas1787

I really like the design of these kits, especially the primary. The logo looks great as well. I thought a darker blue might be more appropriate for a red-white-blue Texas team though, maybe something like the Houston Texans use, a little more navy. Great job either way though

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be willing to try out a darker blue. I think going with a lighter blue though would make it too similar to Chicago.

As for the shirt sponsor, I'll switch it up with something based in Houston. I was unaware Exxon wasn't in Houston.

And El Dandy, what exactly is that thing depicted in the flag?

Exxon is in Houston. They are building a huge new HQ complex in southern Montgomery County. Originally Humble Oil, the company came together to build the refinery in Baytown, near Houston.

Very good Houston design, I really like the color selection.

One question, I have always felt that soccer and Rugby uniforms are marred by such prominent sponsors logos. As the creator of a concept, you could do it without the advertising, so why do you keep it? It is because it makes it more realistic?

FsQiF2W.png

Exxon is in Houston. They are building a huge new HQ complex in southern Montgomery County. Originally Humble Oil, the company came together to build the refinery in Baytown, near Houston.

Very good Houston design, I really like the color selection.

One question, I have always felt that soccer and Rugby uniforms are marred by such prominent sponsors logos. As the creator of a concept, you could do it without the advertising, so why do you keep it? It is because it makes it more realistic?

Yeah I think that there are a lot of people who don't think that having a shirt sponsor takes away from the kit design, but actually adds to it. I'm of the opinion that tastefully done advertising on jerseys can really make a jersey pop.

Plus, when you see soccer and rugby jerseys with sponsors your whole life, having a kit without just seems empty and missing something.

As for Exxon, I guess it can stay!

It's a cannon.

Now I see it.

Exxon is in Houston.

ExxonMobil has a corporate presence in Houston, but the company's headquarters is in Irving, Texas.

They are building a huge new HQ complex in southern Montgomery County.

My understanding is that the complex being built in Montgomery County is meant to consolidate Houston-based ExxonMobil divisions and employees currently scattered throughout the region. Additionally, the complex will become home to employees being transferred into Greater Houston from Fairfax, Virginia and Akron, Ohio. That said, the company's corporate headquarters would remain in Irving, Texas. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I hadn't heard about a change in plans.

Here's an updated Houston. I darkened the blue, which I think is a big improvement. I added a blue box around the back number on the alternate. It helps a lot with the visibility. I kept Exxon as the sponsor, because I don't think it's unreasonable that they would sponsor a team in Houston even if their corporate HQ is not in Houston. The wordmark worked really well with the kit design, so I just left it in place.

I think San Francisco will be up next.

e8yeY66.jpg

VkVfUc9.jpg

San Francisco is up next. I wanted to go with something that would not be specific to San Francisco, but would be meaningful to the entire Bay Area. In the end I decided upon Golden Gate RFC. The colours were just a random scheme that I ended up liking quite a bit. It makes sense to have gold (because of the name) and red (because of the colour of the bridge).

The crest is a stylized Golden Gate Bridge with a sun rising above it.

The primary kit is based on a pretty traditional rugby look. The only club that I think uses something similar these days is Harlequins, but you see throwback sweaters and merch with the panel look all the time. This was my take on it. The clash is just straight grey with some red and gold piping.

Let me know what you think. Also, with San Francisco we are up to 8 concepts, and officially half way through the ARU.

AFpLkua.jpg

h1Mm0JA.jpg

Guest darkpiranha

Cool stuff. I'm totally unfamiliar with rugby design concepts, so maybe on some of your next ones, give a brief explanation of how that design either ties in with traditional rugby designs, or breaks away from it. For example, is the quadrant style used for San Francisco a typical style? What are the 'rules' for home and away uniforms?

Just curious and would like to be edumacated in the ways of what makes a rugby uniform what it is.

Cool, the second time one of my name ideas has been picked!

As for the concept, I like the unique quadrant pattern (unless it's not unique in rugby, I don't know) but it really stands out. The logo is brilliant as well.

I would have gone with a white change kit or maybe a yellow one, just because the current clash kit doesn't contrast too much color-wise with the primary. Other than that, nice job.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Cool, the second time one of my name ideas has been picked!

As for the concept, I like the unique quadrant pattern (unless it's not unique in rugby, I don't know) but it really stands out. The logo is brilliant as well.

I would have gone with a white change kit or maybe a yellow one, just because the current clash kit doesn't contrast too much color-wise with the primary. Other than that, nice job.

golden gate rugby club actually exists...http://www.sfggrugby.com/

A quick google search for rugby jerseys brings up these:

F59a6df.jpg

The far right image is from Wikipedia which apparently is from an early 20s magazine depicting the jerseys of the top clubs and countries. You can see the one in the middle similar to what I've done with San Fran. I'm not sure what club it is (possibly Harlequins), but you can see it is a design that has been used in rugby for some time. That being said, the far left example is the current Harlequins home, and is the only example I can find of a club currently using the design.

Archived