American Rugby Union

nas1787

Other thoughts for LA names that just crossed my mind: why not pay tribute to the Leicester Tigers and their record nine championships? Los Angeles Tigers sounds good. Or you can borrow from Latin America's most successful rugby nation and go with the Jaguars (or Pumas)...or from the Buenos Aires area and the Eagles...or the Zebras, after the most successful club team in Argentina.

Obviously, just spitballin' here.

sport-scarf_devils_zps117fda40.png

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, this is some really great discussion here. That's why I love these boards. There are few places online where you can have such civil discussions of rather divisive issues.

Taking in everyone's comments, I think the thing to do would be completely rebrand the LA team (a case of art imitating life considering the recent Ottawa NBL fiasco). I agree with bleuet that this is just a concept and really has no bearing in real life, so I could just leave it and move on. But I am striving for realism here, so I will rebrand. Keep letting me know your ideas for an LA team. I'll introduce some other concepts I have completed while I work on the new LA brand.

Nick

Guest darkpiranha

Keep the "history" of the Saracen's naming fiasco as part of the team's legacy. Like here in Houston when the Dynamo were called "1836" for a while before caving in to (understandable) outrage from the Hispanic community. Makes it more realistic!

Keep the "history" of the Saracen's naming fiasco as part of the team's legacy. Like here in Houston when the Dynamo were called "1836" for a while before caving in to (understandable) outrage from the Hispanic community. Makes it more realistic!

Yes! Absolutely. Very cool idea.

Guest darkpiranha

The owner can be a wealthy Iranian importer. He made his fortune on rugs. So his second suggestion for the team name is... drumroll....

Persian Rugby LA.

Guest darkpiranha

In all seriousness, this really got me to trying to figure out what Arabic symbols/mascots WOULD be acceptable to an American audience. The main one that comes to mind is a genie. It almost ties into "Magic" Johnson, and of course, the movie "Aladdin". Maybe there's a Disney partnership possible? If so, maybe the team can be called "Aladdin RC", with the LA made to stand out, like "ALAddin" (of course, all the letters would be capitalized, but the LA would be maybe 20% bigger than the other letters). Even without a Disney partnership, Aladdin is a public domain character, so anyone can use him. You just can't have the genie look exactly like their animated version.

If I were an Iranian owner, and determined to have my team represent my heritage in SOME way, this is one way I could sneak it past American political correctness.

Guest darkpiranha

LA Sheiks, LA Shahs

As soon as I read that, in my head I started singing, "Le Chic" which is a jumbling of "La Freak" BY Chic. But you get the idea...

Thanks again for all the input everyone. For now let's move on from a team name that generated some controversy to one that won't, seeing as a number of you echoed the suggestion of Tropical Miami.

I knew I really wanted to use a pink and blue colour scheme, and I also added in a yellow/green accent colour. Someone else had suggested the team name Flamingos, which I quite liked, so I used a flamingo in the crest. I figure with such a bright pink home kit, the unofficial nickname of Flamingos would be pretty obvious. Also in the crest, I used the Miami Vice font, just for kicks.

On the home kit, I used a geometric motif that wraps around to the back and also continues on to the shorts. It's a bit out there, but I think it actually looks quite nice. The alternate is a much simpler design. A lot of cruises start and end in Miami, so Royal Caribbean is short sponsor. Tell me what you think.

QWZYP2N.jpg

f5YTh8d.jpg

They're garish...and I mean that as a compliment.

When I suggested Tropical Miami, I immediately pictured bright, neon pink, so I'm glad you went there. The geometric shapes are strange, but I like them because they just give off the 80s retro vibe that the entire name evokes (and the use of the Miami Vice font works perfectly, too).

Overall, I like a lot. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the uniforms fit the name perfectly.

So there wasn't much of a consensus, but the majority did seem to like option 2. So I'm happy to go with that. It certainly provides the biggest contrast to Minnesota's green. Here's the update. I tried out the knot pattern on the shorts but it just didn't work. It's too much.

zzriO9h.jpg

5J6ZRcs.jpg

How did I miss these? They're fantastic...especially the celtic knot homes.

The folks in Boston would lap these up.

Here's another!

Seattle Cascades Rugby Club. I liked the name suggestion, and so wanted to work in some mountains and water, play up the natural beauty of the Seattle area. I also wanted to get away from the typical blue/green colour scheme. Originally I thought blue and brown, the the alt kit actually being the home. But when I added in the teal colour as well and made the brown and teal hooped kit, I just really loved how those colours worked together. So that became the home, and I left the navy blue for the alt kit.

C&C always appreciated.

I1z5TmN.jpg

0oiNRVX.jpg

I agree in not being sure on the shorts wave...and I think the alt might be better suited as the home (sans the wave)...but those are some mighty fine kits regardless.

Bravo.

Edit: And just to make sure...this leaves Dallas, Denver, Philly, Atlanta, and Washington, right?

I ask because I'm seriously thinking about pitching in for a second division and want to wait until all of your unis are revealed.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Edit: And just to make sure...this leaves Dallas, Denver, Philly, Atlanta, and Washington, right?

I ask because I'm seriously thinking about pitching in for a second division and want to wait until all of your unis are revealed.

Yup those are the clubs still remaining. If you'd like to do a second division, I'd be all for it. I'd love to see what others can come up with. GotPixel's has had some really interesting designs with his Texas rugby concepts.

Archived