American Rugby Union

nas1787

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I had never really thought about orange and blue being traditional NYC colours, but now that you mention it, Knicks, Mets, Islanders all wear blue and orange. I think I'll keep the overall concept but work with a black, blue, orange (plus white) colour scheme.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I had never really thought about orange and blue being traditional NYC colours, but now that you mention it, Knicks, Mets, Islanders all wear blue and orange. I think I'll keep the overall concept but work with a black, blue, orange (plus white) colour scheme.

Don't get rid of yellow as an accent color, though!

sport-scarf_devils_zps117fda40.png

I'm of the mindset that Chicago is the new Gotham but we're not going to go there ;)

I like the home but I'm right with you on the alternate. I get creativity and all but there is almost no consistency here from top to bottom. I think the blue and orange direction is definitely something the intended market would embrace and is already a great color combo to work with. I do like your sense of vision when branding these teams

Midway.png

Thanks guys.

Here's the updated NYC set. The only changes made were:

- All green was changed to blue (also taken from the MTA design guidelines)

- Changed yellow socks to orange on the alternate kit

Yellow and white remain as small accent colours, but it is now mainly black, orange and blue. I think the small changes make it look much better (and more like New York). Thanks for all the advice.

There was the suggestion of a blue jersey too. I'm going to leave that for now. There was a similar suggestion for a third jersey with my Utah concept. I think I'll leave all of these till the end, and then maybe do a third kit for each club.

LbURAch.jpg

FT0lpKN.jpg

Salt Lake City: Utah Hornets -- Utah is traditionally nicknamed the Beehive State (there's a beehive on the flag).

I've never understood the reasoning behind dubbing a team that calls the Beehive State its home as the Hornets.This is a bit like saying that since the tiger is the National Animal of India, and the Royal Bengal Tiger subspecies draws its name from the Bengal region of the country, that an appropriate name for a Kolkata-based sports franchise would be the West Bengal Lions. Bees and Hornets are from two distinct superfamilies of insects, just as lions and tigers are from two distinct species of big cat.

Salt Lake City: Utah Hornets -- Utah is traditionally nicknamed the Beehive State (there's a beehive on the flag).

I've never understood the reasoning behind dubbing a team that calls the Beehive State its home as the Hornets.This is a bit like saying that since the tiger is the National Animal of India, and the Royal Bengal Tiger subspecies draws its name from the Bengal region of the country, that an appropriate name for a Kolkata-based sports franchise would be the West Bengal Lions. Bees and Hornets are from two distinct superfamilies of insects, just as lions and tigers are from two distinct species of big cat.

Fair points, but I don't think it's unfair to make an association between bees and hornets. The perfectionist in me realizes they're very different, but the little kid in me has always thought of hornets as really aggressive bees (even though that's not correct).

Also, there's already a team in SLC that uses the name "Bees."

And I second a preference for the white shirt as the home.

sport-scarf_devils_zps117fda40.png

This is my favorite U.S. concept yet, the whole set (name included) really says "Chicago." The red jersey is creative and original. The one thing I might try is to see if you can put the four stars from the Chicago flag in between the blue stripes on the white jersey. They could be sort of sublimated and faded into the background, but I think it would be a cool added element. Nice job!

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

You're undoubtedly well on your way to finalizing team identities and shirt sponsors, but I thought I'd offer you some additional suggestions.

Atlanta

Team Identities: Resurgens RFC... Terminus RFC... The Phoenix

Sponsors: Coca-Cola... Home Depot... UPS

Boston

Team Identities: Boston Irish... Hibernian(s) RFC... Sons of Liberty... Liberty Tree RFC

Sponsors: Fidelity Investments... Liberty Mutual... Samuel Adams (The Boston Beer Company)

Dallas

Team Identities: Dallas Bulls... Dallas Centaurs... Dallas Stampede

Sponsors: AT&T... Exxon Mobil... Game Stop... Southwest Airlines

Denver

Team Identities: Mile High RFC... Denver Highlanders

Sponsors: DISH Network... Western Union

Houston

Team Identities: Houston Apollo(s)... Houston Roughnecks

Sponsors: ConocoPhillips... Waste Management

Los Angeles

Team Identities: Los Angeles Condors... Los Angeles Guardians... Seraphs RFC

Sponsors: DirecTV... Live Nation Entertainment... Mattel... Walt Disney

Miami

Team Identities: Miami Makos... Miami Sharks

Sponsors: AutoNation... Office Depot... Ryder

Minneapolis

Team Identities: Twin Cities RFC

Sponsors: Target... United Health Group... 3M

Philadelphia

Team Identities: Keystone RFC

Sponsors: Comcast

San Francisco

Team Identities: San Francisco Saracens FC (inspired by columnist Herb Caen famously dubbing San Francisco "Baghdad-by-the-Bay")

Sponsors: Apple... Cisco Systems... Google... Oracle... Visa... Wells Fargo

Seattle

Team Identities: Seattle Cutthroats... Seattle Ospreys

Sponsors: Amazon.com... Microsoft... Starbucks

Washington

Team Identities: Talons RFC... Washington Griffins... Washington Talons... Washington Warriors

Sponsors: Capital One

Thanks for these Brian. I am well on my way to naming all teams, but some haven't been set yet. You have some good ideas, I wouldn't be surprised if I used one or two of them.

If anyone else has ideas, keep them coming. I still haven't decided on names that I really like for Washington, Dallas, Atlanta, and LA.

Archived