satansgoalie

Federal League Team Logos & Uniform Designs

The Federal League existed from 1914 to 1915. It was, at one time a competitor of the American and National leagues. I thought it would be a fun exercise to design a modern logo for this league. I wanted to keep the same elements that are present in the other league's logos- balls, bats, eagle. The 3 stars at the bottom are meant to represent the 3 leagues.

In addition to the logo, I've been designing team logos and uniforms for this league and posting them individually. I've been advised to keep them all in the same thread so I'll just add them to this thread. I apologize for any inconvenience...I'm new here...

2ch89si.jpg

This is well rendered. I have a few suggestions.

-Flip the direction of the stitches on one side.

-Adjust the arch of "Federal League" above the baseball. It's not a uniform distance above the ball all the way across.

-Get rid of the "eye shadow" behind the eagle's eye. It makes the eagle look like a sad and subservient Sam the Eagle from the Muppets.

The eagle is a must but this one reminds me too much some police badges.

Despite, its a great logo.

PS: No, I was not arrested LOL!

You sir, are quite the artist.

These are phenomenal, but I'm going to agree that one side of the baseball's stitches need to be flipped.

The New York Knights

A modern take on the New York Knights uniform from the movie The Natural.

ou3zo9.jpg

The Mudville Nines

Ok, so we've all heard the one about the Might Casey and the Mudville Nine but none of us have ever really seen their uniforms. So with that in mind, I came up with this. I wanted to take some design cues from the 1880's even though this template is obviously a modern design hence the pillbox hat, striped stockings and the moustache. The use of brown as the primary color, I think should be obvious...

34t1zl3.jpg

The Hoboken Zephyrs

This uniform design comes from an episode of The Twilight Zone called The Mighty Casey. The Zephyrs are a down on their luck team that just happens to have a robot for a pitcher. Anyway, I used that episode and those tacky uni designs from the late 70's and early 80's as inspiration.

2rwvmro.jpg

Oklahoma Dusters

Here is a design for the fictional team the Oklahoma Dusters of the Federal League. Obviously I wanted to name the team something that would make sense regionally. My first choice was to go the Native American/Indian route but considering the current climate in sports regarding Native cultures as mascots I decided against it. Plus, I thought that was just too easy. I eventually decided on the Dusters for two reasons. One, this is Oklahoma after all and one thing Oklahoma is known for is the Dust Bowl during the Depression. The other reason is because my dad played on a team called the Dusters when he was in little league and I've always liked that name.

2h2piqh.jpg

Great job on all of them. One suggestion, though. On your Mudville Nines concept, it would make more sense if they were called the Nine, the singular term. There are nine men on the team, get it?

I'd love to see you take on the teams of Robert Coover's "Universal Baseball Association, Inc" novel.

• Beaneaters
  • Bridegrooms
  • Excelsiors
  • Haymakers
  • Keystones
  • Knickerbockers
  • Pastime Club
  • Pioneers
  • The Zodiacs

Great job on all of them. One suggestion, though. On your Mudville Nines concept, it would make more sense if they were called the Nine, the singular term. There are nine men on the team, get it?

Yeah, I thought about doing that at first. But I stated thinking that "the 9's" sounded more euphonious. But you're right "the Nine" does make more sense. I guess I was just going for a 49ers sounding name.

Here's a uni design for the team from the movie Brewster's Millions, the Hackensack Bulls. If anyone has the movie or can remember what Brewster's jersey number was please let me know so I can change it.

723fvc.jpg

Oklahoma and Hoboken look like softball uniforms. The logos themselves look nice, but the uniforms are terrible. Nothing that should see the light of day on a baseball field.

Not quite sure how you could say those uniforms are terrible. Maybe they don't fall into the realm of your prototypical MLB uniform but all in all the uniforms are very nice, well thought out and well put together. I believe people get the perception when the pants are colored anything but white or grey.

Oklahoma and Hoboken look like softball uniforms. The logos themselves look nice, but the uniforms are terrible. Nothing that should see the light of day on a baseball field.

I like them. I think a more gold color (as opposed to the tan) might work better, although it doesn't mesh with the name dusters as well.

Not really constructive criticism... Well anyway, good thing these are fictional and just for fun. Just wait until I get around to doing a whole series of powdered blue uni's. You'll love those...

I agree with Greg. I don't like the colored pants. White, grey, and powder blue are great, but navy blue pants make them look like a softball team more than anything. Other than that, I like these, especially the color balance of the Hackensack set.

The House of David

svrl0p.jpg

Ok, let me explain...

The House of David was a religious society founded by Benjamin Purnell. He encouraged his followers to play baseball. They became famous barnstorming rural ares of the country from the 1920s through the 1950s. The team was always an attraction because of their long hair and beards, a doctrine of their religion, and would draw substantial crowds wherever they played...

27wxbp0.jpg

34sgqom.jpg

The Alternate Uni...

I've always been of fan of the 1916-1917 "Plaid" Brooklyn Dodger road uniform. Even though some says it's ugly and there is no evidence that the HOD ever wore a uniform like this I decided that I wanted my team to wear one.

9s48dw.gif