The Difference a Facemask Can Make

andycumbee19

I really hate the 1 bar going down the middle of the mask. I would never wear one because it would make me go cross-eyed, and I just think a visor will solve any problem the bar could.

Also, I think if used on the proper helmet, the 'Big Grille' masks actually look really cool.

ray-lewis.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hate the 1 bar going down the middle of the mask. I would never wear one because it would make me go cross-eyed, and I just think a visor will solve any problem the bar could.

Yeah, I know people say that, but it really isn't true. I wore this ancient relic when I was in high school in the 80's, and when you focus on what's in front of you, the center bar is completely invisible.

image.png

And speaking of strange looks...

050209picd.jpg

Yeah, I know people say that, but it really isn't true. I wore this ancient relic when I was in high school in the 80's, and when you focus on what's in front of you, the center bar is completely invisible.

No, its just the way my crappy eyes work. When I played football I insisted on a 3 bar, and in hockey I found the cage very irritating. Switched to a visor as soon as I could.

And I just think they look bad.

image.png

And speaking of strange looks...

050209picd.jpg

Ah - Namath was the last guy to wear one of the old Schutt cowcatcher masks - they were more of a very late 50s/very early 60s thing. Namath wore a bunch of masks over his career, starting with a plastic 2-bar, going to a metal OPO ( the original rounded bottom version as worn in Super Bowl III), then the half-cage like what Marino always wore (of course the earlier version made like the cage you wore), then finally that old cowcatcher mask for the last few years of his career. He took the mask with him to LA when he left the Jets.

On the other hand, I hated the look of Dan Marino's, as well, but for the opposite reason. It was too much face mask for a quarterback...

Dan%20Marino%20131.jpg

FUN FACT: Byron Leftwich is the only current NFL player to still wear the marino style mask

byron-leftwich.jpg

I've always viewed that mask as the "Big-armed, but completely immobile" QB mask. Dan Marino, Drew Bledsoe, Jeff George, Scott Mitchell, Ryan Leaf, Byron Leftwich, Brad Johnson, etc...

Of course, there are some exceptions, like Steve Young or Randall Cunningham (both for a little while), but it doesn't really help my mental picture of the mask.

I'll agree with everyone of these except Marino he is one the most mobile QB's in history. Could he run for a lot of yards? No but he could step one way or the other & fire down field better than anybody I have ever seen.

Even the NFL network voted him in the top 10 of all time.

Um, yeah. The ability to move around a pocket does not equal being a "mobile" QB. He had 270 career sacks and less than 100 yards in career rushes. My guess is that being top 10 of all time has much more to do with his cannon of an arm rather than his legs...

I was putting together a souvenir program at my design job and had to place these 2 photos. Looking at the two photos side by side, I realized just how much better #8 looks (and it's JUST because of the style of facemask!) Personally, based on my avatar, I'm sure you can see why I love this team's helmets so much. :winner: Am I alone on this or do you also believe that a facemask can make a helmet look more/less visually appealing?

Malcolm_-_HSSR_zps92365b79.jpg

RJ_Tyler_-_HSSR_zps9edc5dc9.jpg

I'm going to disagree with you on this. The first one looks better and the picture is better. Why? Well for starters the player is looking at you making it draw you into the photo, whereas #8 looks completely disinterested and like he doesn't want to be there. Secondly the mouthguard on #8's facemask looks tacky and is actually distracting from the face of the player. Thirdly, the jersey on #8 is worn and beatup and looks bad. The facemasks are even in this case. Yes there are some that I prefer. If it was one of the vs. a Revolution then you'd have a point, but in this case one bar doesn't make a difference to me.

On the other hand, I hated the look of Dan Marino's, as well, but for the opposite reason. It was too much face mask for a quarterback...

Dan%20Marino%20131.jpg

FUN FACT: Byron Leftwich is the only current NFL player to still wear the marino style mask

byron-leftwich.jpg

I've always viewed that mask as the "Big-armed, but completely immobile" QB mask. Dan Marino, Drew Bledsoe, Jeff George, Scott Mitchell, Ryan Leaf, Byron Leftwich, Brad Johnson, etc...

Of course, there are some exceptions, like Steve Young or Randall Cunningham (both for a little while), but it doesn't really help my mental picture of the mask.

I'll agree with everyone of these except Marino he is one the most mobile QB's in history. Could he run for a lot of yards? No but he could step one way or the other & fire down field better than anybody I have ever seen.

Even the NFL network voted him in the top 10 of all time.

Um, yeah. The ability to move around a pocket does not equal being a "mobile" QB. He had 270 career sacks and less than 100 yards in career rushes. My guess is that being top 10 of all time has much more to do with his cannon of an arm rather than his legs...

He was one of the least sacked QB's of all time which makes him very mobile when you can move & escape rush in the pocket that is the definition of mobile.

Drew Bledsoe on the other hand who you compared him to was one of the most sacked QB's because of his lack of mobility in the pocket.

Marino was actually in the top 10 of the most mobile QB's.

Reading through this post makes me wonder if most of you guys have played or if you are looking at player's uniform trends as fans. I know from personal experience and people I know that have played NCAA and NFL ball wear what they wear how they wear it for a reason. Not just to showboat or look tough.

Reading through this post makes me wonder if most of you guys have played or if you are looking at player's uniform trends as fans. I know from personal experience and people I know that have played NCAA and NFL ball wear what they wear how they wear it for a reason. Not just to showboat or look tough.

I agree with you somewhat but that shot of ray lewis up the page perfectly illustrates a nfl star (who is pushing 40) who changed his facemask for no reason at all other than to showboat and look tough. He wore the same mask from at least college throughout his career yet decided to go with the justin tuck/locomotive mask the last 4 games of his career?

Right... because no NFL player would wear something silly just because of how it looks.

b12ea2adff030e7e2caac7001fb57430-getty-88972045jd010_il_cleveland_.jpg

If I played football, I'd have a mask custom made to look like shark teeth.

But really, if I played football, I wouldn't be clever/smart enough to come up with something like that.

Follow my attempts to rid the world of the evil that is Laura Dern @LDisadirtbag.

My dog Folsom has a Twitter that's nothing but pictures of him pooping and sharing what he likes @folsomcanpoop.

If that's not enough, I have my own Twitter @DieZombieScum.

I agree with you somewhat but that shot of ray lewis up the page perfectly illustrates a nfl star (who is pushing 40) who changed his facemask for no reason at all other than to showboat and look tough. He wore the same mask from at least college throughout his career yet decided to go with the justin tuck/locomotive mask the last 4 games of his career?

True, but does anyone know or care about the purpose of those masks? Especially for down lineman. A regular mask may seem like the noble route but when You get your head yanked around you do what you can to stop that. I say they should work on getting off the line faster and hand checking but what do I know.

It makes sense to me though. Now the last 4 games out of almost 250 game pro career is too late but It fit him. I think if they had that mask when he was at The U he would have worn it.

• 2 weeks later...

841385c98105ba551fbf192d6cd84a5f.jpg

Keeps an old school element plus you can easily recognize faces.

Green Bay Packers: 9x Pre-Super Bowl Era NFL Champions, 4x Super Bowl Champions, 3x NFC Champions

Indianapolis Colts: 2x Pre-Super Bowl Era NFL Champions, 2x Super Bowl Champions, 3x AFC Champions

Michigan Wolverines football: 11x National Champions, 8x Rose Bowl Champions, 3x Citrus/Capital One Bowl Champions

Detroit Tigers: 4x World Series Champions, 11x AL Pennant Winners

Detroit Pistons: 3x NBA Champions, 5x Eastern Conference Champions

Dan%20Marino%20131.jpg

byron-leftwich.jpg

Yep, I hated when Esiason wore it...

o_z31fTXosnzTtSsw.jpg

Boomer's is a little different. It has an extra bar. I don't like either of them but I like his a little better.

peyton-manning3.jpg

One of my favorite quarterbacks of all time wore the Marino facemask his first 3 or 4 years in the league.

Green Bay Packers: 9x Pre-Super Bowl Era NFL Champions, 4x Super Bowl Champions, 3x NFC Champions

Indianapolis Colts: 2x Pre-Super Bowl Era NFL Champions, 2x Super Bowl Champions, 3x AFC Champions

Michigan Wolverines football: 11x National Champions, 8x Rose Bowl Champions, 3x Citrus/Capital One Bowl Champions

Detroit Tigers: 4x World Series Champions, 11x AL Pennant Winners

Detroit Pistons: 3x NBA Champions, 5x Eastern Conference Champions

Archived