Sign in to follow this  
hettinger_rl

New "Boise State" Rule in college football.

NCAA should require all schools to have green turf. Anything else is dumb and looks ridiculous.

NCAA should require all schools to have green turf. Anything else is dumb and looks ridiculous.

Agreed. Maybe it was unique and interesting when only Boise did it, but now it's just a lame attempt at attention.

As for the rule I'm all for it, if only because it'll cut down on the number of monochrome looks we have to deal with each season. It could also make Boise State games a bit more watchable on top of that.

Agreed. Maybe it was unique and interesting when only Boise did it, but now it's just a lame attempt at attention.

As for the rule I'm all for it, if only because it'll cut down on the number of monochrome looks we have to deal with each season. It could also make Boise State games a bit more watchable on top of that.

I'd have to agree...at the very least, they should be wearing white pants at home!

The fact that it has to be a "blanket" rule and alters what teams that wear green can wear is too bad though.

Green Monochrome always looks like ass, too.

Good riddance.

While I think Boise's field is horrendous, I think it's a dumb rule. The notion that the opposing team will get the field and players confused because they're wearing the same color is ridiculous.

So I guess Oregon, Colorado State, Baylor, etc. won't be able to wear monochrome green? If they still are, then the rule is unfair. (EDIT: after re-reading the article, they will indeed be equally affected.)

Regardless, it's also a stupid rule. The NCAA has more pressing issues to worry about that are a lot more substantial than pacifying whiners like Rocky Long about uniform colors.

Regardless, it's also a stupid rule. The NCAA has more pressing issues to worry about that are a lot more substantial than pacifying whiners like Rocky Long about uniform colors.

This is a false argument. Of course they do, and an organization as large and as far reaching as the NCAA is more then capable of addressing more then one issue at a time.

At the end of the day a team wearing all blue on a blue field looks terrible, and green monochrome isn't pretty either. So doing away with both is a net gain.

I support this rule since the NCAA is actually trying to protect their student-athletes from sustaining an unexpected (and possibly devastating, i.e. long-term) injury.

I don't really see how uniforms being the same color as the playing surface gives a team a competitive advantage any more than a home team wearing white on a hot day does.

I understand how one might come to that conclusion and for a TV viewing audience it might be a problem, but in reality, I don't think there's any camouflaging effect for the players on the field. What about endzones? Should those have to be a neutral, non-uniform color as well?

That said, colored turf is dumb and I think monochrome uniforms look terrible, but the ends don't justify a rule change.

I support this rule since the NCAA is actually trying to protect their student-athletes from sustaining an unexpected (and possibly devastating, i.e. long-term) injury.

How? It's not like they're dumbass waterfoul who see the blue turf and think "lake full of edible fish, DIVE!"

While I think Boise's field is horrendous, I think it's a dumb rule. The notion that the opposing team will get the field and players confused because they're wearing the same color is ridiculous.

I remember playing another college who wore all navy on a navy blue turf field (soccer, not football). I'm not going to say the opposing school was invisible, but when you're playing at a fast pace and you have to rely on your peripheral vision, taking a quick look and seeing nothing initially but streaks of white jerseys in a sea of navy blue is annoying. I can only imagine how much more difficult it is for an opposing QB playing at Boise to drop back, scan the field, and try to pick out Boise defenders in the ocean of royal blue in 2 seconds.

I think most monochrome looks ugly anyway. But as a football official in a state that follows NCAA rules, I think that will be one we don't adopt. Most high schools have one set of pants, but two jerseys. My hometown is green and white, and I don't see the state athletic organization banning the school from wearing its home green jersey with its green pants.

Wasn't the original point of BSU going all blue was so it could blend into the turf? Make it more difficult for people to see them, in both film and in person? If so, they only have themselves to blame. They were trying to cheat the rules (at least about filming, since game film is legal, but "editing" yourself out of it by using monochrome to hide), and it's now backfired.

Maybe the NCAA should modify the rule and make all monochrome illegal, unless there are enough contrasting details in the jerseys and pants.

I don't really see how uniforms being the same color as the playing surface gives a team a competitive advantage any more than a home team wearing white on a hot day does.

I understand how one might come to that conclusion and for a TV viewing audience it might be a problem, but in reality, I don't think there's any camouflaging effect for the players on the field. What about endzones? Should those have to be a neutral, non-uniform color as well?

That said, colored turf is dumb and I think monochrome uniforms look terrible, but the ends don't justify a rule change.

Which home teams wear white? :P

FBS and FCS, please. My wife has a cousin who plays for Eastern Washington. Watching their home games is is just painful.

Red-Field.jpg

How? It's not like they're dumbass waterfoul who see the blue turf and think "lake full of edible fish, DIVE!"

This rule inhibits monochrome teams from being completely camouflaged on the turf, i.e., it levels the playing field for the opposition .

If you've played a sport you know how important jersey color is at a glance. Not the same as D1 football by any means but I was playing an indoor soccer match the other day. We were in Black and the other team was "Royal Blue" however one player was wearing a Barcelona striped jersey, which at a glance appeared different from Blue. Everytime out of the corner of my eye I thought he was one of our players. It was annoying.

Saying that, at a glance if the background of the field blends into the jersey of the player of course it causes a split second question in your mind which is enough in a fast paced game like football.

If it isn't a competitive advantage Boise and the others should have no problem obeying the rule.

Let's see here: rather than standardizing the actual playing field (easier thing to do), the NCAA goes after the school itself for being a visible hazard to opponents on game day. Nice job picking on the little guys.

Can't believe what I'm gonna say, but everyday that goes by, I believe the IOC and FIFA has more credibility than the NCAA.

This rule inhibits monochrome teams from being completely camouflaged on the turf, i.e., it levels the playing field for the opposition .

Yeah, that's great camouflage...if you weren't already at :censored: ing field-level and honestly if you're looking at the ground all the time you deserve to be blown up by an opposing player who you never saw coming. If you're looking heads up, the stadium wall is going to be what they are contrasted against. Not the field.