New Vikings logo released

steff002

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a great enhancement, but it all depends on how they use it, right? How do they take advantage of the shorter profile on jerseys / merch (we all know Nike is a big fan of practical logo dimensions), how does this new yellow effect the overall color scheme of the new uniforms, etc. Hopefully minimal yellow in these new uniforms.

More fan "gold" from the Facebook page.

Hate it, just like I hated the helmet change. Viking fan for 40 years...really don't know why anymore.
what was wrong with the old one.. atleast the old one represented a winning tradition, pride and honor, a brotherhood of fans
The eye now looks more like Mr. Magoo...too squinty? Why bother with changes? I was happy with the old one

:lol: :lol: :lol:

More fan "gold" from the Facebook page.

what was wrong with the old one.. atleast the old one represented a winning tradition, pride and honor, a brotherhood of fans

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Winning tradition?

Yeah, I'm a Vikes fan, but come on. Don't claim "winning tradition" until they at least win the big one....once.

Hey, Colorwerx... can you please give us one of your patented run-downs of the new gold/yellow? How it fits on the larger spectrum, and how it compares to other NFL yellow/golds. Anybody wearing anything similar?

Very common color...however, no one else in the NFL is using it right now.

As far as teams in other leagues - Pirates, Lakers, Nuggets, Warriors, Grizzlies, Hornets - to name a few are using it.

Hey, Colorwerx... can you please give us one of your patented run-downs of the new gold/yellow? How it fits on the larger spectrum, and how it compares to other NFL yellow/golds. Anybody wearing anything similar?

As far as teams in other leagues - Pirates, Lakers, Nuggets, Warriors, Grizzlies, Hornets - to name a few are using it.

Awesome. My one big fear in all this was we would end up with some kind of Vegas/Notre Dame/metalic old gold.

Thanks for the info.

So they dropped the 5 ;), not much difference then....

Yellow.png

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

I wish they would have added the yellow ring to the base of the horn to match the horns on the helmet. Also, it looks to me that the curvature of the horns aren't exactly the same. I could be wrong about that though.

OK adding to ColorWerx version, but going Full Purple Helmet + Yellow Base Ring (ONE CAVEAT: this is a simply cut and paste hatchet job just to give everyone an idea of what this would look like -- so it's not going to be "perfect"):

MinnesotaVikings_PropPMK0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

I wish they would have added the yellow ring to the base of the horn to match the horns on the helmet. Also, it looks to me that the curvature of the horns aren't exactly the same. I could be wrong about that though.

OK adding to ColorWerx version, but going Full Purple Helmet + Yellow Base Ring (ONE CAVEAT: this is a simply cut and paste hatchet job just to give everyone an idea of what this would look like -- so it's not going to be "perfect"):

My god. I love it.

viking.pngdribbble__0040_vikings1.png

That is much, much worse than what the Vikings went with. And it's too vertical.

I can't speak for Fraser's, but mine was done in the same proportions as the (now former) logo. Nonetheless, I wish we could get more of this tactful, classy critique around here.

Fun fact:

Actual Vikings never wore horns on their helmets.Greek and Roman historians wrote about warriors from the North with horned helmets, which was just an exaggeration used to make them sound scarier for their stories.

Think about it this way, If your career involved hand to hand combat, would you want what is basically a giant pair of handlebars attached to your helmet? It's the same reason why cops wear clip on ties.

I have a funny story. Back when I still worked for a family-owned business, I mentioned this factoid during the informal, pre-meeting banter that occurs when you're waiting for everyone to arrive. The owner/CEO of the business happened to be present. He fancies himself a real "culture guy" and world traveler. He seemed to go quiet when I said it, but I didn't think too much of it. The next morning, he stomps up the stairs and slams a huge, illustrated book of Norse mythology on my desk and walks away, at which point my boss, who looks exactly like Bruce Arians, started laughing his ass off while I sat there speechless and afraid.

^ Imma just leave that one alone.

------------------------------------------------------------

What this refresh tells me, and I'm willing to bet good bank on this, is that whenever/if the Vikings change up their uniforms, they're going straight-up throwback. Which, if pulled off right, might not necessarily be a bad thing.

I did a mock-up a long time ago....I'll have to dig around for it when/if I get back to the crib this weekend.

For what it's worth, this was my original thought as well. I couldn't make sense of why they updated the horns to be more like the current helmet decals, though.

For me, the best change is altering the shoulder shape so it's not perfectly round.

norseman-article-comp.jpg

That always bothered me about the old one - the real sense that something is missing.

I like that change as well. I kept the round shoulder on mine for continuity's sake, and to keep it a bit simpler, but I'll probably try it a little more realistic when I inevitably revamp my illustration again.

viking.pngdribbble__0040_vikings1.png

I like Frasers except the horns they are too skinny. Andrews seem too stretched IMO.

My only complaint about the new one is the line strokes & the horn not being exactly like the helmet.

My image there is actually taken from an angle, so the perspective is warping it quite a bit. This is the one logo it's not readily apparent on, though, so it really just looks weird and distorted. I actually started with the same silhouette as the current horn, then simplified it a bit to be more in the spirit of the old horn, which I found more appealing. I really hope they ditch the black outline from the helmet.

Purple ski cap?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived