Evolution of The Batman Logo

Nyk33

I don't see that fat Batman logo from the Dark Knight Returns.

That's another tricky one. Look at the 1986 entry. The artist uses the bat signal from DKR, but mistakenly calls the comic Legends of the Dark Knight...which the artist accurately uses later (1989). The 1986 entry should read Batman: The Dark Knight (which includes DKR). Phew.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

• 3 weeks later...

Am I the only one who noticed that the 1998 logo also happens to be the logo used on the posters and box-art for the 1989 movie?

That's an interesting point, actually. I'm pretty sure that was also used on the suit. As for the one they have for the '89 movie here, I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Upon further research the '89 logo above IS in fact on the suit in the '89 movie, even though the '98 logo was used for promotions...and the '98 logo is also used in the Animated Series which is mysteriously absent from this list

That's the problem with this chart - it mixes logos from the suits with logos from the covers with logos from the movies, and doesn't include them all.

A chart showing the evolution of the chest logo alone would be amazing.

That 1993 one looks like Deep Space 9.

Deep Space 9 did premiere in 1993...clearly someone was a Trekkie.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

The 1998 logo is the most well recognized one.

batman-logo-biga.gif

It blows my mind to learn that this came about in 1998. I had always thought it was the same overall for years, and I own several items with this logo on it. I guess the Animated Series really did shoot Batman up into a higher popularity.

Given it looks like the chest logo from the 1983 cover posted in this thread, I'm thinking it (or a very similar version) has been around for a LOT longer than that.

The 1998 logo is the most well recognized one.

batman-logo-biga.gif

It blows my mind to learn that this came about in 1998. I had always thought it was the same overall for years, and I own several items with this logo on it. I guess the Animated Series really did shoot Batman up into a higher popularity.

Given it looks like the chest logo from the 1983 cover posted in this thread, I'm thinking it (or a very similar version) has been around for a LOT longer than that.

Certainly--the yellow oval was added in the 60's...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I don't see that fat Batman logo from the Dark Knight Returns.

That's another tricky one. Look at the 1986 entry. The artist uses the bat signal from DKR, but mistakenly calls the comic Legends of the Dark Knight...which the artist accurately uses later (1989). The 1986 entry should read Batman: The Dark Knight (which includes DKR). Phew.

Thanks! Geez...this is very confusing. I never knew there were so many changes.

• 2 weeks later...

And the cool thing is that the evolution will continue...who knows what the Batman symbol might look like 50 years from now.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived