Yakball International

MDGP

So, I've wanted to do this for awhile, and actually started these concepts before Raysox started his International series. However, through laziness and computer troubles (Back up your files, kids), I never got around to posting any concepts. I've got several done so far, and have numerous others nearly complete, and I plan to present some nations that weren't presented in Raysox's series.

First up:

FRANCE

For the crest, I looked for inspiration from the crests of French (Union) Rugby and French Soccer. My crest is meant to be a happy medium between the super-traditional rugby crest and the modern soccer logo. My crest features a rooster on a red gradient background. The initials are FFY, which stands for Fédération Française de Yakball. I also just noticed weird spurs coming out of the gold outline on the second crest, not sure why that is there... Didn't show up in Inkscape.

FranceYakballCrest_zpsdd75bd88.png

The uniforms are heavily influenced by France's soccer kits. Both the home and the feature sublimated striping. For the numbers and words on the home, I went with the yellow/gold color seen on the crest, which I found to be visually pleasing, and the only red found on either uniform is on the crest.

FranceYakballUniforms_zps046d4196.png

Hit me with some C+C!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

For me is plain and only. I really miss the red and white of the "tricoleur." I think you could have done the white numbers outlined in gold, but with the outline thinner than what you have in that. Miss the red in the second, more than ever. I think nike is doing cool with football team, but I would not like they repeat this in yakball. 6/10.

I like this a lot, the crest in particular. I would try to incorporate a little more red into the concept seeing how heavily it is featured in the crest. The gold looks good though, nice job.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

I agree with cohenj21. I like it a lot. It has a lot more time put into than almost any other Yakball concept I've seen that's not done by raysox. So I applaud you there. The only nitpick I have is to make the striping on the clash a little lighter. Right now it is on the verge of sublimated and grey stripes.

Thanks for the comments so far, guys. I'm looking into adding some red to the clash kit (I love the home kit, and want to keep it the same).

Next up, Germany.

For Germany, I wanted to go with a classic look. On the crest I decided to go with my own version of the Federal Eagle seen on the German coat of arms inside a pentagonal crest. Below the eagle is a yakball. Behind the crest are three stripes the colors of the German flag.

GermanyYakballCrest_zps3b8610e8.png

The home uniforms were inspired... Actually, I'm not even going to get into that. The uniform features the crest with extended stripes across the chest. The shorts feature a stylized stripe based on the german flag.

The clash kit is green with adidas stripes. I love how German soccer looks in green, so it was a pretty easy choice for the clash.

Also, I would like to point out that the last name on the clash is NOT a joke. I actually have a German friend with that last name.

GermanyYakballUniform_zpscecbe27e.png

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

This is a great set overall, even better than the French one IMO. My one issue is with the eagle on the crest, the beak makes it appear more like a songbird or maybe a vulture. Check out a picture of an eagle online, you'll see what I mean.

Cohenj.png

I'd agree with Philsphan that these are some of the best non-raysox yakball concepts. Great job. The kits are particularly well done. I'm not sure I love the font you've used in the French kit, but beyond that keep up the good work.

The German home kit is a thing of beauty

Alright, I'm fairly certain that you guys won't like my next team.

SWEDEN

My crest for Sweden features an oddly-shaped, elongated crest. It features a yakball with a stylized hanging swedish shield, similar to the Swedish Soccer crest. Above the ball are the initials, SvYF, standing for Svenska Yakbollförbundet.

SwedenYakballCrest_zps67cf838f.png

The home uniforms are yellow and feature blue pinstripes, inspired by the use of pinstripes that Sweden soccer used to wear. The clash kits are blue, and feature a Navy blue sublimated striping. In my world, one of the new Nike trends would be sublimation, particularly on clash uniforms. So for this, I went for a unique sublimation pattern, featuring a dark lower half with three smaller stripes above that. The left sleeve features the yellow cross from the nation's flag. Basically, the clash is meant to be the type of Nike design that people love to hate.

SwedenYakballUniforms_zps8a3e8d79.png

Still working on options for a France update, which will probably next.

Awesome. These sets are solid. The only one I don't like so far is the German green but that's only because of my hate for the 3 adidas stripes that appear on so many of their sets.

I know it's your concept series and all but I'd try to stray from soccer inspired unis simply because I think Yakball provides a clean slate for more original designs.

Midway.png

Sweden looks really good, I actually love the crest, the design is really unique. As for the uniforms, I didn't love the pale yellow at first but it's really grown on me. This is your best concept yet IMO. Looking forward to more!

Cohenj.png

Well, I'm glad everyone seems to really like Sweden! The crest is probably my favorite that I've created so far, but I wondered if the shape would throw people off. I'm also glad you guys liked my use of the muted yellow. That might be my favorite color to use for concepts.

I know it's your concept series and all but I'd try to stray from soccer inspired unis simply because I think Yakball provides a clean slate for more original designs.

This is actually the same concern I had originally, as the first few were very soccer oriented, which is why I tried something drastically different for the Sweden clash. Besides one or two more concepts so far, I don't stick too closely to soccer, and I've got some really out there designs coming that I hope will throw you guys off a bit.

My next country might pop up this week along with an update for France, though I'm not entirely sure yet.

Continuing our foray through Western Europe, our next stop is Italy.

Everything about Italy is super traditional. To me, whenever I see an Italian National Athletic team in something modern, it just looks wrong to me. For whatever reason, it has been engrained in my head that Italy should have a traditional, almost plain look. Can't explain it.

The crest features an Italian flag inside a blue shield. In front of the flag is a gold Yakball. Above that is Italia (which is Italian for Italy, obviously) in gold on a banner. At the bottom is FIY, standing for Federazione Italiana Yakball. It should be noted that, like on numerous other Italian national crests, the gold is not featured anywhere on the uniforms.

ItaliaYakballCrests_zps05f3b1b7.png

The uniforms are also traditional, but of course, still utilize a Nike style. The home kit is blue with white shorts and, like France, features a sublimated striping pattern, which takes on a diamond shape. It should also be noted that the numbers on the home kit feature Green and Red, the colors of the Italian flag, and the shorts feature a striping pattern that also mimics the Italian flag. This was mostly done because I really liked the color scheme of Red, Blue, and Green.

The clash kits are white with blue numbers and the sublimation pattern seen on the homes. In my Yakball world, Nike has a habit of featuring numbers on clash kits that do not feature outlines. The shorts are blue and, like the home kits, feature an Italian flag striping pattern. Another notable piece of the set is that both uniforms feature contrasting collars.

ItaliaYakballUniforms_zps7388ce2e.png

Also, an update for France won't be coming any time soon. I haven't been able to figure out a design that will look good and unique (everything I've done looks like it should be an England kit. I'll have one eventually, I just want to put my efforts on other designs).

• 2 weeks later...

Next up, Canada!

This has a relatively simple crest featuring a stylized maple leaf that was originally a crown, then a rose, then a leaf. Not much else to say really.

CanadaYakballCrests_zps79883f00.png

Canada wears Under Armor and features a modern design on the home kit with tapered shoulder, side, and shorts stripes. THe clash kit is white and features a double sash. The font used in the crest is also used on the uniforms.

CanadaYakballUniforms_zpscabc06f5.png

Archived