Fantasy Baseball Advice Thread

TBGKon

OK, figured this could be beneficial to all, as this can be the place to ask the community questions about your fantasy baseball teams.

I'll start off, I have a trade on the table in a friends league. I'd give up Cole Hamels for Jay Bruce. I like Hamels, but need a solid bat.

Please share your thoughts.

OK, figured this could be beneficial to all, as this can be the place to ask the community questions about your fantasy baseball teams.

I'll start off, I have a trade on the table in a friends league. I'd give up Cole Hamels for Jay Bruce. I like Hamels, but need a solid bat.

Please share your thoughts.

What kind of league are you playing in? How many teams are in the league? How desperate are you in need of a bat? Is their a limit to the amount of pitching starts you can have per week? Is outfield your weakest position?

Knowing the answers to these questions would help me in evaluating this trade. But my general rule of thumb is that a quality bat is far more important than a quality starter when dealing with offseason trades (other variables come into play during the season which changes my philosophy). I have found, generally, that the pool of quality pitchers is much deeper than that of an offensive position over the course of the season. You will have plenty of opportunities during the season to pick up pitchers from the wavier wire that get hot (or have a good matchup during the week). Hitters come at a much higher premium, especially at diluted positions, but that depends on the amount of teams in your league and the size of your rosters.

Now to analyze the trade: If you have a weak outfield and a strong #2 pitcher (someone who was in the top 20 scoring pitchers last season based on your league OR who you feel certain with end up in the top 20 of scoring pitchers this season), I would pull the trigger. However, if your outfield is above average (no glaring weak spots) AND/OR you don't have a strong #2 pitcher on your roster (who meets the criteria from above), keeping Hamels would be more beneficial for your situation.

If you choose to keep Hamels, is there another player on his/her roster that would improve a position you are weak at that will have similar production to Bruce? If so I would counter and offer that trade.

Hopefully that helps! Good luck!

teams.gif

Someone be a World Champ, please!

Fantasy Football Keeper League.....PM me if you want to join!!

Archived