Paris Saint Germain new logo

arnocom

Today, Qatar-PSG unveiled the logo that will be used next season:

Logo_large.jpg

They delete the creation date of the club, because PSG is not older than others greats clubs.

They delete the cradle, who represent Louis XIV (Louis was born in Saint-Germain en Laye, but who even in France knows this symbol and what it's meaning? Who knows Saint Germain en Laye?)

The Parisian symbols were highlighted (La Tour Eiffel is still here and the name himself is bigger, everybody knows Paris and la tour Eiffel)

Finally, la fleur de Lys is bigger and golder (golden), cause la fleur de lys is also a internationnal symbol, more for France than for Paris I think.

I think it's a great evolution for this club, not a revolution happily (we can't change a logo Like NO Hornets/Pelicans) but a good thing for this club.

I will always prefers americans standards concerning logo but this one is good for me (La tour Eiffel .is still small)

For information, here are the 6 last logos since the creation of the club:

1548716.jpg

What is the one you prefer? (http://www.lequipemag.fr/debats/votez/jeu/quel-logo-du-psg-preferez-vous/315/, here, there is battle between the actual and the new)

Do you think this new logo can help PSG to be a great brand, or it's nothing versus Beckham?

The fleur de lys was the symbol of the Kingdom of France, many golden fleur de lys on a white flag was the flag of the kindgom. Of course, Paris was the center of the kingdom.

fr~mr2.gif

The coat of arms had 3 golden fleur de lys on a blue azur shield. A blue flag also emerged, 3 golden fleur de lys on a blue azur flag was installed on a tall cross when french Jacques Cartier discovered Quebec (named New-France at that time) in 1534.

fr-3b.gif

The 1789 revolution removed power to the king and the blue white and red colors we all know where used to designate anything related to the republic of France.

Despite, the fleur de lys stayed around, still displayed on many France cities coat of arms,

Paris

paris.gif

and of course on the province of Quebec flag.

A good move the put a gold lys on the new logo that I like.

I thought the cradle was more a symbol of the capital place of french culture, place of birth of the french language and culture, but maybe I was wrong.

overall i really like this update. the line work is better all around and the the bolder strokes make it look strong and clear at small sizes. theres a better balance with the type in the way the words are reordered and i do like the emphasis on Paris. not sure of the font, but it is a really nice modern choice that won't tire out too soon, if ever.

i like the elimination of the cradle too, just simplifying the mark and the execution of the fluer is beautifully done. my favorite part is the new softer colors. its a more professional looking palette, the old makes it seem cheap and amateurish, as highly saturated colors will do that.

if theres one thing i would change myself, its how thick the primary circle is. or, make the inner circle larger without changing proportions of anything outside of it. it just seems a bit "fat" now thats not what you want in an athletic mark. i think they should have gone to a different font for Saint-German. even though it introduces a second font, that wouldnt look as odd as it does now with so much space around it compared to Paris. at least they could have gone with a font that has a condensed version for this application.

i like it though. its a mark to be proud of

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

bleuet explained the symbolism of the fleur de lis, and I have to say it is very curious as a design choice. Not that I think the monarchy vs republic debate is still going strong, but it seems odd to see a Parisian team adopt a royalist emblem in the here and now.

La Fleur de Lys is everywhere in France on city coat of arms by exemple and is directly came from royalty. but it's also I think a worldwide symbol for france or French culture or origins: Quebec, Nouvelle Orléans, Bâton Rouge, Saint-Louis... It's also the flower of light when Paris is the town of light.

La Fleur de lys is one of the older symbol in the world, before the frenches kings choosed it.

With a golden fleur de lys, PSG search a worldwide symbol, a worldwide impact, more than a french impact.

And you know why,I'm french and for me, la fleur de lys is more a Quebec symbol or better, a New Orleans symbol than a monarchic symbol (it's because I follow NFL and NBA and in France the king is die for millenium)

La fleur de lys or lily in english, is the origin of the town of Lille in north of France:

291_-losc_lille-primary-.gif

By the way, there is only 2 fleurs de lys in Ligue 1 or 2 and i don't know how many Britain's symbols.

Brest:p222ggtnekduljfpglyu61j5l.gifGuingampntzfhqq4bo4jtheyww8gd3hco.gifNantes:7z6fu6gjk6exjf70iuwu6z0ne.gif

In fact we got the ones who wants the world or at least Europe (Lille and PSG) and the one who want to be local, maybe in a independant culture who is strong in Bretagne (like UBIsoft, where UBI means Union des Bretons Indépendants - Independent Union of Bretons)

I know its kind a funny. The french are proud of the revolution's heritage and at the same time, of the elegance and dignity of the royal era, as well as their castles etc.... and I think they are right to do so.

Thing is the fleur will always be somewhere in the France symbolism.

Note: There is the New Orleans Saints fleur, there's the MTL Impact, also another pro soccer team in St.Louis sporting a fleur.

The older ones will remember the fleur on the Expos away uniform. Of course, everbody remembers the Nordiques jersey.

Still love LOSC's badge update...or rather, the shield part. Not a big fan of the wordmark font or treatment but the shield itself is gorgeous and unique.

I really like the new PSG badge as well. At first I thought the outer band looked a little chubby as well, like a fat tire but the more I see it, the more I like it. I do agree that all the space around "Saint Germain" looks a bit odd.

From a worldwide branding standpoint, emphasizing the "Paris" was an easy decision to make in my opinion.

Cleaner. I guess. Living in Paris for a couple of years (right before the Qatar purchase), you never truly got this strong sense of pride for the club throughout the city (but that's just a reflection of Parisians being cold, miserable people).

The emphasis of "PARIS" definitely makes sense, though if you didn't know about the club, you wouldn't immediately think it's related to sports (it could almost pass for a "seal" for a fictitious "Saint Germain Arrondissement".

I can respect the symmetry of the depiction of the Eiffel Tower here, but I personally never cared for it; felt too 70s-ish dated and cartoon-y, but it's been associated with the club for quite some time so I'm not surprised they kept it.

Archived