Possible PG Cougars relocation...

kiwi_canadian

So there have been rumors floating around that the Prince George Cougars (formerly the Victoria Cougers) are going to be relocated as their lease at CN Centre is up and appears that it will not be renewed. Reason I bring this up is for 2 reasons:

1. If this happens, where would be the possible landing places for the Cougars and what would the names be?

2. Does anyone think that the Victoria Royals would/could take the Cougars name and become the Victoria Cougars once again?

I'm rather torn on that issue because I like the Royals name and I like that they have established a new brand in Victoria but on the other the Cougars name has a ton of history and tradition behind it going back to the PCHA days and the name also appears on the Stanley Cup.. Not to mention that the VIJHL already has the Victoria Cougars playing out of Archie Browning Sports Centre in Esquimalt.

Thoughts on the topic?

I would like to see a team move to Winnipeg and take on the Manitoba Moose moniker. This is a great opportunity for that to happen.

Whl-teams.gif

As much as I'd like to see the Moose and their colours back, I don't think it'd be feasible for a WHL team to move here. Brandon is far enough as it is (by bus), and all the other teams are very far from WPG. Plus I think the new Moose would have difficulty gaining entry into a decidedly Jets-heavy market.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Not if the Jets owned the team. I know it's something that TNSE has kicked around in the past, and they do host Wheat Kings games at the MTSC when the Winter Fair takes over Keystone Center.

But yeah, it's already two hours from Brandon, so it's hard to say if the idea has any real traction.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I wouldn't overextend the market just yet in Winnipeg.

I hope they stay in Prince George somehow. A town that small and remote needs something to rally around. If they must move, they should probably go to Chilliwack (wack. wiggity wack? no, just regular type), where there's a major-junior rink available. Stateside, Wenatchee, Washington is intriguing, and it might not be the worst idea to try Billings again.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wouldn't overextend the market just yet in Winnipeg.

I hope they stay in Prince George somehow. A town that small and remote needs something to rally around. If they must move, they should probably go to Chilliwack (wack. wiggity wack? no, just regular type), where there's a major-junior rink available. Stateside, Wenatchee, Washington is intriguing, and it might not be the worst idea to try Billings again.

Chilliwack makes the most sense as it wouldn't involve unbalanced divisions. But that would also be, what, the 4th team in 8 or 9 years to call the Prospera Centre home? Doesn't scream stability. Now, if the Heat moved, that would be ideal.

Prince George Heat makes ZERO sense on any level.

I think he meant them moving to parts unknown, to be replaced by the Abbotsford Cougars.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Having lived in PG for the last 4 years, the current ownership has ruined the team. They've gone from a ticket that you would be lucky to get to them not being able to give away tickets for free. The city already has the Spruce Kings in the BCHL and arguably play better hockey and are definitely way more competitive.

Anyhow if the team were to move, if Nanaimo could get the team it would be good I think. The current Cougars and Royals games are already decent and would be even better with an Island rivalry.

Nanaimo Islanders?

8prlQWA.png

Would love it if the PG Cougars would come to Winnipeg.. but that depends on if it can be doable and TNSE might be the ideal owner since they have success in owning the AHL Moose and now the NHL Jets.. perfect place for the WHL to come and have extra fans come out, these who are waiting on the NHL Jets ticket list...

If that does happen, what would the names be for the WHL Winnipeg team? Moose could be brought back with that cool logo... not sure if the Cougars names would fit in here but hmm..

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Having lived in PG for the last 4 years, the current ownership has ruined the team. They've gone from a ticket that you would be lucky to get to them not being able to give away tickets for free. The city already has the Spruce Kings in the BCHL and arguably play better hockey and are definitely way more competitive.

Anyhow if the team were to move, if Nanaimo could get the team it would be good I think. The current Cougars and Royals games are already decent and would be even better with an Island rivalry.

Nanaimo Islanders?

PEI Rocket is rebranding as the Islanders next year, and IIRC two CHL teams aren't allowed to share a nickname.

Nanaimo Islanders?

PEI Rocket is rebranding as the Islanders next year, and IIRC two CHL teams aren't allowed to share a nickname.

Well the Islanders name does have some history behind it in Nanaimo and doesn't the WHL and QMJHL both share the Tigers name? (only difference is the French and English spelling) Also the until next season the Kelowna Rockets and PEI Rocket. Apart from the "S" isn't that the same name?

Nanaimo Islanders?

Well the Islanders name does have some history behind it in Nanaimo and doesn't the WHL and QMJHL both share the Tigers name? (only difference is the French and English spelling) Also the until next season the Kelowna Rockets and PEI Rocket. Apart from the "S" isn't that the same name?

I guess that's allowed since the spelling isn't the exact same.

If that does happen, what would the names be for the WHL Winnipeg team? Moose could be brought back with that cool logo... not sure if the Cougars names would fit in here but hmm..

Winnipeg Nomads

Winnipeg BusRiders

Winnipeg RoadWarriors

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived