AHL Franchise Relocation News & Rumors

randyc

Where is the "Iowa Wild" name coming from? The press release said nothing about it.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20130418/SPORTS/130418023/Is-Des-Moines-ready-to-try-pro-hockey-again-?archive&nclick_check=1

More info will be announced Monday morning at the official press conference. (I know that iawild.com gets a "403-Forbidden" message and twitter.com/iawild is listed under "Iowa Wild")

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, the Rivermen have confirmed that today was the team's final game in Peoria. (They lost to my Admirals, 3-0-as a result we clinched a playoff spot)

Still no word on where they'll go if Abbotsford doesn't become available...but I do hope Peoria gets another team very soon.

I just can't get over the sense of entitlement radiating from the Canucks here. Oh hey Vancouver, yeah Toronto has their AHL team in their backyard, but that's because an AHL team in Toronto isn't idiotic. That the Canucks feel they have to do this is oh so telling. And Calgary can go join them in eating said bag, as they're the ones who started this mess in the first place.

I just can't get over the sense of entitlement radiating from the Canucks here. Oh hey Vancouver, yeah Toronto has their AHL team in their backyard, but that's because an AHL team in Toronto isn't idiotic. That the Canucks feel they have to do this is oh so telling. And Calgary can go join them in eating said bag, as they're the ones who started this mess in the first place.

I blame it on the other teams wanting it more a regional league.

If more teams had farm teams out west, then it would make perfect sense.

Then you have to take all the established Midwest/Texlahoma/assorted bits clubs and force them to the Pacific, because that's not going to happen organically. You can't have a major league and a minor league with similarly wide footprints across a continent. It's financially unfeasible, especially for a circuit still rooted in being a 16-team Northeastern bus league.

Then you have to take all the established Midwest/Texlahoma/assorted bits clubs and force them to the Pacific, because that's not going to happen organically. You can't have a major league and a minor league with similarly wide footprints across a continent. It's financially unfeasible, especially for a circuit still rooted in being a 16-team Northeastern bus league.

I realize that--but I can dream, can't I?

I blame it on the other teams wanting it more a regional league.

If more teams had farm teams out west, then it would make perfect sense.

aunt/balls/uncle

There's no way to make a coast-to-coast AHL work. Vancouver shouldn't be indulged like this, especially with taxpayers covering the costs.

As per Twitter,the Heat are staying in Abbotsford next season. City and Canucks were unable to come to a deal.

as per @gordmcintyre

As per Twitter,the Heat are staying in Abbotsford next season. City and Canucks were unable to come to a deal.

as per @gordmcintyre

Which brings up the question of where the Canucks put that AHL team now...

HAHAHAHAHAHA THIS IS SO STUPID. Glad they bought the Rivermen and declared them to be dead in advance of failing to move them. Screw you Canucks you suck at everything.

I could really care less if they're making money. As long as they're developing players properly, that's the only thing that matters to me.

Yeah but they're doing the same thing as the Coyotes and that's ethically wrong.

HAHAHAHAHAHA THIS IS SO STUPID. Glad they bought the Rivermen and declared them to be dead in advance of failing to move them. Screw you Canucks you suck at everything.

I could really care less if they're making money. As long as they're developing players properly, that's the only thing that matters to me.

Yeah but they're doing the same thing as the Coyotes and that's ethically wrong.

But at an AHL level it doesn't really register in the minds of most people. You are right though, I would love to get out of the Lower Mainland, but this seems to be the most stable spot for these asshats right now, and I use stable lightly.

Following the Red Wings' shutter of the Coyotes at the Joe Louis Arena, they played DJ Khaled's masterpiece "All I Do Is Win." First, this is a notable occasion in that this song was released after 1995 and thus was not played from their usual worn-out Jock Jams tape cassette. Second, in playing "All I Do Is Win," they're talking a mighty big game for a team in ninth place that might not win 50% of their home games.

Archived