AHL Franchise Relocation News & Rumors

randyc

Stupid. Not only is it annoying and redundant to have the Wolves and the Wolf Pack (though not as bad as Milwaukee and Norfolk), it looks silly to have dressed up as the Whalers for, oh, two and a half years, only to be like "no, just kidding, we were always a half-heartedly branded minor-league team, gotcha."

If they had actually dressed up as the Whalers, instead of some insipid halfway measure, they might not be re-re-branding now.

Or if, you know, people actually showed up to the games...

The Whale were averaging around 4,500. The city and the state wan the team to move away from the Whale name. As it stands right now, Howard Baldwin still owes people, companies, the city, and the state about two to three million dollars. The city and the state wanted MSG to call the team the Connecticut Rangers. Bridgeport said they didn't want the team to use Connecticut as part of their name. They were mad that Baldwin was even allowed to do it in the first place. MSG still owns all of the branding, and website for the Wolf Pack, and that's why they went back to that. I heard that Reebok also wanted the team to change, because they are still owed $1 million. They wouldn't even let the team sell jerseys towards the end of the year. They also only gave the team one set of home and away jerseys, and put the team on a "buy as you use" plan. Reebok also wouldn't let the team auction off the green jerseys.

girardi-1.png

lyip4wfi.pngzc9hmqq6.png

Thanks KaTo

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all the stuff about Vancouver moving their newly acquired AHL team, they would have had a home if the WHL were still being jerks and shunning Victoria. HAD the WHL not allowed the relocation of the Chilliwak Bruins, I think the plan was to move the Manitoba Moose to Victoria and have the Canucks main affiliate in the capital. Rumor was though that the WHL did not want to give up Victoria to the AHL and they sort of fast tracked the Bruins move.

... This is all hearsay though and completely irrelevant. Just thought I would share this tidbit of info...

• 2 weeks later...

Several HUGE bits of news from this story:

1. The AHL Rivs are DONE. Officially.

2. However, a new Rivs team (along with the CHL's Bloomington Blaze) is applying to join the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) this week, and both are expected to be approved.

3. The franchise now owned by the Canucks will likely sit as dormant until somebody thinks of a location, thus ending the "Era of Perfection" for the AHL...

bYhYmxh.png

Several HUGE bits of news from this story:

1. The AHL Rivs are DONE. Officially.

2. However, a new Rivs team (along with the CHL's Bloomington Blaze) is applying to join the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) this week, and both are expected to be approved.

3. The franchise now owned by the Canucks will likely sit as dormant until somebody thinks of a location, thus ending the "Era of Perfection" for the AHL...

1. :censored: the Canucks. And Stillman. But especially the Canucks.

2. Going from players on the cusp of the NHL to Friday Nite Fights and travel! With 20 games against Bloomington WOOOOOOOO!!!!! <_<

3. You know, it those stupid entitled prats who couldn't conceive of having a minor league team without it bankrupting the host city never win another playoff game, it would be fine by me. Happy rioting!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In fairness, the Canucks aren't the ones who held the city of Abbotsford for ransom by holding a bar of soap to their backs. That falls on the Heat ownership group and the city alone.

However, this entire thing was rather short-sighted on Vancouver's part. From thinking it would be a slam dunk to move into Abbotsford (which actually makes sense, but for the location of the team relative to the rest of the AHL), to thinking about playing at Rogers (until they realized the Heat could block the move due to proximity), to potentially setting up a lame duck year or two in Utica. Bad idea, guys, bad idea.

I still say,as long as the Heat are alive anyway, go to Seattle and try and rent the Key. That, or try for a team in Vegas or the like; easy to get players back and forth, and still fairly close to the OKC/Austin/SA teams.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

However, this entire thing was rather short-sighted on Vancouver's part. From thinking it would be a slam dunk to move into Abbotsford (which actually makes sense, but for the location of the team relative to the rest of the AHL), to thinking about playing at Rogers (until they realized the Heat could block the move due to proximity), to potentially setting up a lame duck year or two in Utica. Bad idea, guys, bad idea.

I think that's what the problem is, that the Canucks just sort of bumbled their way through this, killing of an AHL franchise as they did so.

From the standpoint of the SPHL, this is unreal. I can hardly fathom the Peoria Rivermen, Bloomington Blaze, and possibly more CHL teams entering this league, especially when it was almost on the verge of only having 7 teams. (If you didn't know, the Augusta Riverhawks played the end of their season in a local recreational facility due to a broken icing system in James Brown Arena, and the Mississippi Surge, who have had declining attendance, sacked their entire front office.)

The bigger league footprint is great, but the travel will be rough. SPHL teams already have extremely unbalanced schedules due to travel. (The Knoxville Ice Bears play Fayetteville and Huntsville seemingly every weekend, while only playing Pensacola twice.)

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

This ought to work out about as well as when the CHL & IHL "merged" a few years back. If they bring Brampton along for the ride, I will pee laughing.

My condolonces to every hockey fan in Peoria, and my sincerest hopes that this is a stopgap measure until a slot in the ECHL becomes available.

David Holt, who served as team president for Bloomington's pro hockey team in the Central Hockey League last season, will oversee the daily operations for both Peoria and Bloomington SPHL teams.

Oh, this should go swimmingly.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

From the standpoint of the SPHL, this is unreal. I can hardly fathom the Peoria Rivermen, Bloomington Blaze, and possibly more CHL teams entering this league, especially when it was almost on the verge of only having 7 teams. (If you didn't know, the Augusta Riverhawks played the end of their season in a local recreational facility due to a broken icing system in James Brown Arena, and the Mississippi Surge, who have had declining attendance, sacked their entire front office.)

The bigger league footprint is great, but the travel will be rough. SPHL teams already have extremely unbalanced schedules due to travel. (The Knoxville Ice Bears play Fayetteville and Huntsville seemingly every weekend, while only playing Pensacola twice.)

The Surge only sacked the office members because they completely sucked. It was long over due. They were part of the problem that amassed the major debt before Kerr took over. Not the biggest part but definitely a part.

The SPHL's deadline for commitment is Wednesday but Augusta isn't expecting to hear back from their insurance company until the end of the month. The insurance company was supposed to get back to them about what was covered when it came to repairing/replacing the ice equipment late April but they ran into some delay and pushed it back a month. Seems like standard insurance company drag your feet tactics.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

This ought to work out about as well as when the CHL & IHL "merged" a few years back. If they bring Brampton along for the ride, I will pee laughing.

My condolonces to every hockey fan in Peoria, and my sincerest hopes that this is a stopgap measure until a slot in the ECHL becomes available.

David Holt, who served as team president for Bloomington's pro hockey team in the Central Hockey League last season, will oversee the daily operations for both Peoria and Bloomington SPHL teams.

Oh, this should go swimmingly.

Yes, I will say that the inclusion of the current management of the Blaze gives me pause.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think that's what the problem is, that the Canucks just sort of bumbled their way through this, killing of an AHL franchise as they did so.

That, and judging from some of the commentary that was going around when Peoria and other markets were making pitches to keep/get the team, the Canucks seriously had an "Abbotsford-style" deal on their list of non-negotiable demands.

Today, we are all otaku.

"Hey, one backwater meth-addled nowheresville signed up to bankrupt itself with a sucker's deal, why aren't the rest of you turds lining up for this? With all due respect, of course."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So that would mean the current AHL version of the Peoria Rivermen is now officially in suspension mode till maybe 2014-15?? That is rotten and it wont help well enough for the Canucks to have their young players play together and etc.. wow.... terrible decision I am sure of it...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Wow...what a shoddy deal for fans. Yes, they are getting pro hockey still. I have seen a few SPHL games live. They are horrendous. You have to really REALLY like hockey to stand them. I barely can.

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

When was the last time you saw a game? The quality of play has risen every season. It was still definitely below the CHL this season but the gap was the narrowest it's ever been and the CHL-ECHL dynamic remained about the same.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Still, if Peoria's hope is to "slum it" for a couple of years and then get back to the AHL (or ECHL, as someone stated above), why not help stabilize the Midwest contingent of the CHL? Bloomington and Quad City are there, plus St. Charles, Mo. expansion helps bridge the gap to the Mavericks.

You're going to be an outlier in the SPHL anyway. Why go there and drag Bloomington with you?

At any rate, if this derails the CHL or the league-owned Mallards, I've always thought the USHL makes a lot of sense for QC. But as you can see, I think geographically in these matters.

Archived