AHL Franchise Relocation News & Rumors

randyc

Andy Strickland (who's hit or miss, but hits often enough to listen) says the Blues ARE selling Peoria. But there's no definitive plan in place for who that will be to and what the future of the franchise is.

Apparently the owning your own AHL club isn't viable any more or something. Seems like it'd be a good idea to me, but what do I know.

I also like them being in Peoria and hate the idea of affiliating with the Wolves.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, as I've been thinking about it, the Canucks might want to just buy the Abbotsford franchise from Calgary if they want to put the affiliate there. Abbotsford (the city) can't be so abysmally stupid as to give the same city-killing lease terms to a new franchise.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think the Aeros have been around in some form since the WHA days.

The WHA Aeros folded following that league's 1977-78 season. To my knowledge, the next Aeros hockey team in Houston was the IHL expansion franchise that took the ice in time for the 1994-95 season. When the IHL folded after the 2000-2001 season, the Aeros jumped to the AHL.

I think the Aeros have been around in some form since the WHA days.

The WHA Aeros folded following that league's 1977-78 season. To my knowledge, the next Aeros hockey team in Houston was the IHL expansion franchise that took the ice in time for the 1994-95 season. When the IHL folded after the 2000-2001 season, the Aeros jumped to the AHL.

That sounds about right. I knew the *name* Aeros went back that far, wasn't sure when the franchise joined the I.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Actually, as I've been thinking about it, the Canucks might want to just buy the Abbotsford franchise from Calgary if they want to put the affiliate there. Abbotsford (the city) can't be so abysmally stupid as to give the same city-killing lease terms to a new franchise.

The Heat are privately owned, they merely have an earth-salting operating agreement with the Flames.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The Rivermen (or at least the current iteration of them) are gone.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

They're going to Abbotsford after Vancouver buys them, the Flames are moving the Heat franchise to Utica, and the Blues are affiliating with the Wolves. Also, the Aeros are probably moving to Des Moines, because uprooting a team with a 19-year history of strong attendance and plopping it in a market saturated with established junior teams to shave 90 minutes on flights for callups is apparently savvy business.

Related: I hate everything.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Sucks. Bad move. Just terrible. Shame on the Blues for conceding downstate Illinois (though I'm sure the Hawks will be happy to assume it). I can't imagine the costs of running an AHL team are that prohibitive for an NHL team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Blues have to pay $90,000 for bailing on their lease two years early. Who drew up that deal?

The Blues have to pay $90,000 for bailing on their lease two years early. Who drew up that deal?

No clue. Whoever that was was a dumbass, but the Civic Center isn't directly run by the City Council, so the usual dumbasses are not guilty for once.

I'm still trying to wrap my (infuriated) head how the Blues think any aspect of this deal benefits them more. Particularly since they apparently are going to have this huge crop of AHL-level players ready to, um, moulder on the Wolves' bench. The Blues must have attended a player development seminar hosted by the Rams and its clearly working wonders here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In defense of the Wild, it sounds more like Les Alexander is kicking them out rather than the Wild are deciding to pull out (which is also stupid, but *shrugs*). I just hope the Civic Center has a good "come to Peoria" presentation prepped for them. Point in Peoria's favor: Houston always wins when they come to town, so clearly they will do well here full time.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oh, BTW, I will be attending the Rivermen game tomorrow. Any advice on what I should say to any Blues official I see?

(Although I doubt any will attend; evidently tomorrow is a "free food" night and given those conditions I suspect there is a 1 in 1 chance that anybody affiliated with the Blues in an official capacity besides the coach and players would end up wearing somebody's coke or nachos.)

Today, we are all otaku.

Andy Strickland of 590 The Fan in St. Louis is reporting the Blues have sold the Rivermen to the Canucks, so it's all going according to plan.

So this is all because the Canucks are God's special little children who simply can't be made to play their prospects anywhere but in their back yard, despite the fact that their back yard is about a thousand miles away from the rest of the league. Of course it is.

Damn near two thousand miles. I think Oklahoma City is the closest team to Abbotsford since the Moose left.

So this is all because the Canucks are God's special little children who simply can't be made to play their prospects anywhere but in their back yard, despite the fact that their back yard is about a thousand miles away from the rest of the league. Of course it is.

Yep. It's Leafs envy. Toronto has their AHL team in their backyard. So of course Vancouver is going to follow suit, even if it makes no G-ddamn sense.

Sometimes it's almost as if the entire Lower Mainland has a culture of entitlement. Must be all those nouveaux-riches and being the only major Canadian city without crap weather. The riot was just a temper tantrum writ large. Have you ever heard anyone call Vancouver a "blue-collar town" in the last fifteen, twenty years?

Archived