randyc

AHL Franchise Relocation News & Rumors

Andy Strickland (who's hit or miss, but hits often enough to listen) says the Blues ARE selling Peoria. But there's no definitive plan in place for who that will be to and what the future of the franchise is.

Apparently the owning your own AHL club isn't viable any more or something. Seems like it'd be a good idea to me, but what do I know.

I also like them being in Peoria and hate the idea of affiliating with the Wolves.

Actually, as I've been thinking about it, the Canucks might want to just buy the Abbotsford franchise from Calgary if they want to put the affiliate there. Abbotsford (the city) can't be so abysmally stupid as to give the same city-killing lease terms to a new franchise.

I think the Aeros have been around in some form since the WHA days.

The WHA Aeros folded following that league's 1977-78 season. To my knowledge, the next Aeros hockey team in Houston was the IHL expansion franchise that took the ice in time for the 1994-95 season. When the IHL folded after the 2000-2001 season, the Aeros jumped to the AHL.

I think the Aeros have been around in some form since the WHA days.

The WHA Aeros folded following that league's 1977-78 season. To my knowledge, the next Aeros hockey team in Houston was the IHL expansion franchise that took the ice in time for the 1994-95 season. When the IHL folded after the 2000-2001 season, the Aeros jumped to the AHL.

That sounds about right. I knew the *name* Aeros went back that far, wasn't sure when the franchise joined the I.

Actually, as I've been thinking about it, the Canucks might want to just buy the Abbotsford franchise from Calgary if they want to put the affiliate there. Abbotsford (the city) can't be so abysmally stupid as to give the same city-killing lease terms to a new franchise.

The Heat are privately owned, they merely have an earth-salting operating agreement with the Flames.

The Rivermen (or at least the current iteration of them) are gone.

They're going to Abbotsford after Vancouver buys them, the Flames are moving the Heat franchise to Utica, and the Blues are affiliating with the Wolves. Also, the Aeros are probably moving to Des Moines, because uprooting a team with a 19-year history of strong attendance and plopping it in a market saturated with established junior teams to shave 90 minutes on flights for callups is apparently savvy business.

Related: I hate everything.

The AHL can dire in a fire at this point.

Sucks. Bad move. Just terrible. Shame on the Blues for conceding downstate Illinois (though I'm sure the Hawks will be happy to assume it). I can't imagine the costs of running an AHL team are that prohibitive for an NHL team.

The Blues have to pay $90,000 for bailing on their lease two years early. Who drew up that deal?

The Blues have to pay $90,000 for bailing on their lease two years early. Who drew up that deal?

No clue. Whoever that was was a dumbass, but the Civic Center isn't directly run by the City Council, so the usual dumbasses are not guilty for once.

I'm still trying to wrap my (infuriated) head how the Blues think any aspect of this deal benefits them more. Particularly since they apparently are going to have this huge crop of AHL-level players ready to, um, moulder on the Wolves' bench. The Blues must have attended a player development seminar hosted by the Rams and its clearly working wonders here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In defense of the Wild, it sounds more like Les Alexander is kicking them out rather than the Wild are deciding to pull out (which is also stupid, but *shrugs*). I just hope the Civic Center has a good "come to Peoria" presentation prepped for them. Point in Peoria's favor: Houston always wins when they come to town, so clearly they will do well here full time.

The AHL can die in a fire at this point.

Long live the OHL! Go Wolves Go!

Oh, BTW, I will be attending the Rivermen game tomorrow. Any advice on what I should say to any Blues official I see?

(Although I doubt any will attend; evidently tomorrow is a "free food" night and given those conditions I suspect there is a 1 in 1 chance that anybody affiliated with the Blues in an official capacity besides the coach and players would end up wearing somebody's coke or nachos.)

The AHL can die in a fire at this point.

Long live the OHL! Go Wolves Go!

I'm with you on half of that ;)

Andy Strickland of 590 The Fan in St. Louis is reporting the Blues have sold the Rivermen to the Canucks, so it's all going according to plan.

So this is all because the Canucks are God's special little children who simply can't be made to play their prospects anywhere but in their back yard, despite the fact that their back yard is about a thousand miles away from the rest of the league. Of course it is.

Damn near two thousand miles. I think Oklahoma City is the closest team to Abbotsford since the Moose left.

So this is all because the Canucks are God's special little children who simply can't be made to play their prospects anywhere but in their back yard, despite the fact that their back yard is about a thousand miles away from the rest of the league. Of course it is.

Yep. It's Leafs envy. Toronto has their AHL team in their backyard. So of course Vancouver is going to follow suit, even if it makes no G-ddamn sense.

It's all Winnipeg's fault for going and getting an NHL team back. They :censored:ed up EVERYTHING.

Besides, early word was that the Jets were trying to put the now-former Moose into Saskatoon or Fargo, which would have made them every bit as special as Toronto (and now Vancouver) without completely* messing up the AHL footprint. But NO, they had to go to St Frickin Johns, which is so special they have their own time zone.

*it would still be messed up, but at least it would give a logical stopover point for the back-to-backs in Abbotsford.