randyc

AHL Franchise Relocation News & Rumors

This is not only a sad day in Houston, but a sad day in hockey in general. So long Aeros, you deserved better than this.

This is not only a sad day in Houston, but a sad day in hockey in general. So long Aeros, you deserved better than this.

Oh, bite me. I'm happy because AHL hockey is back in Des Moines. Hopefully, the new guys won't :censored: this up like the last guy.

From a Minnesota viewpoint, love it! But Iowa Wild? They couldn't do better than that?

From a Minnesota viewpoint, love it! But Iowa Wild? They couldn't do better than that?

Yeah. The name kinda suffers from Brooklynettes syndrome.

Iowa. Wild. Because everyone thinks of the wilderness when they think of IOWA

Ever been there? It's nice. Kinda flat in spots, but its okay.

No but I am fairly familiar with the topography. Hence sarcasm.

I mean really though, did anyone really thing they wouldn't be called the Wild?

I thought the team would have the good sense not to bestow the worst nickname in sports on a second team, yes.

You should write a travel guide where Iowa is "kinda flat in spots" and Atlanta "sorta has traffic."

Wild beats Chops. That is all.

Lee's Guide to the World. It just flows.

A good breakdown of relocation/affiliation scenarios : http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2013/4/16/the-ahl-will-look-different-next-fall.html

Also includes tid-bits about a few other leagues but mainly AHL.

Buried in the comments is a story about how the PEI Rocket might move to Sorel, which appears to be a small town right between Montreal and Trois-Rivieres (which itself is right between Montreal and Quebec City). So much for becoming the Prince Edward Island Islanders.

I'm against it. The Maritimes need stuff to do, and Quebec is well-saturated enough as it is, especially if the Nordiques come back and put an affiliate in Trois-Rivieres, as hinted earlier this year.

I still can't wrap the idea of Utica having an AHL team around my head. Seriously.. every time I'm on Amtrak rolling through downtown Utica I see maybe 10 cars driving around the entire city tops. Syracuse an hour away, Albany one and a half, and basically half the ECAC hockey conference in a two hour radius be damned.

Last time Utica had a team...

Another possible venture is to wait for Adirondack to become available once the Phantoms move: http://www.broadstre...glens-falls-ahl

brodeur.jpg

(Help me out, is it ooh-tica or You-tica?)

It's You-Tica. You may remember that Superintendent Chalmers is from Utica, and despite it being a "regional dialect," has never heard the phrase "steamed hams."

Is Utica even official yet?

Where is the "Iowa Wild" name coming from? The press release said nothing about it.

Oh, bite me. I'm happy because AHL hockey is back in Des Moines. Hopefully, the new guys won't :censored: this up like the last guy.

That last "guy" was actually two guys, Bob Schlegel and "Mr Bankruptcy" himself, Howard Baldwin.

Cool graphic from the AHL's website. Since we don't have a uniform thread, I'll put it here.

30teams12_13.jpg

"Here are all our logos! In a few weeks, we will eliminate some of them and recolor others to match new affiliations."