Safest Uniform buy...

pcgd

While looking for a cardinals jersey today, the idea crossed my mind, what's the safest jersey you can buy? By that I mean, team won't change uniform designs soon and that the player is gonna stick around for awhile so that you can actually wear the jersey for years, instead of still walking around in a blue magic penny hardaway jersey.

My bets:

Baseball: St. Louis, Pujols. Cubs, Prior/Wood. Boston, Pedro or Nomar (Just kidding), Plain Yankees Jersey

Football: Chicago, Urlacher. Houston: David Carr.

Basketball: Cleveland, James. (Duh)

I'm not gonna pretend to know enough about hockey so we'll leave it at those. I'd do soccer but I doubt too many people would care. Plus they change jerseys nearly every year...

I'm sure i'm missing some and this topic might not be interested at all. But then again, it could be...

peace,

pc

A Yankee jersey with a somewhat high, undistinguished number is a safe bet, since there's no name on it and, on a year-to-year basis, someone will end up wearing it. Something like 28 (David Justice, Karim Garcia, Chad Curtis, John Vander Wal and Charles Gipson are some of the bodies that have filled that number in the last couple years).

thats the one thing wrong with getting jerseys with player names/numbers on them.

if youre a hardcore fan of a particular player on an individual basis rather then the team is on, its no big deal I would imagine

but if youre a dedicated fan of a certain team that would like to own a player jersey from someone on your team, then its an issue

this is coming from someone who owns two authentic 49ers Jerry Rice jerseys and

a replica 49ers T.O. jersey. :P

nowadays when seemingly untouchable players are cut and traded like never before, its tough to buy a "safe" jersey, as is described here.

from my perspective as a bay area fan anyways, the safest player jersey to buy right now would be a barry bonds giants jersey. because it appears that he will finish his career in SF.

from my perspective as a bay area fan anyways, the safest player jersey to buy right now would be a barry bonds giants jersey. because it appears that he will finish his career in SF.

I knew I would forget someone huge!!!!

I own 2 Buffalo Bills jerseys that should be wearable for a while:

#51 - Takeo Spikes - away

#7 - JP Losman - away (purchased on eBay as a Doug Flutie jersey - ripped the name panel off and replaced it with a panel from a local jersey shop - I own one of the first JP Losman "throwbacks" :D )

thats the one thing wrong with getting jerseys with player names/numbers on them....

this is coming from someone who owns two authentic 49ers Jerry Rice jerseys and

a replica 49ers T.O. jersey. :P

Tell me about it---

I've still got in my closet a Tony Boselli Jacksonville Jaguars jersey... the fact that he really didn't play much for the Texans 'cause he was hurt helps a bit; he'll always be associated more with the Jags.

And my daughter got from"Santa Claus" her favorite Hornets player's jersey-- Jamal Mashburn. We even got it signed by Mash (and several other players) at a season ticket holders event. Of course, now he's persona non grata with the organization and likely a gone pecan-- I'm hoping he retires rather than plays for someone else next season, so she can still get some use out of the jersey...

Them's the breaks in free agency days, I guess.....

:wacko:

It is what it is.

Cavaliers - LeBron James

Knicks - Stephon Marbury

Lakers - Shaquille O'Neal

Pistons - Ben Wallace

Nuggets - Carmelo Anthony

Heat - Dwayne Wade

Rockets - Yao Ming

Mavericks - Dirk Nowitzki

Timberwolves - Kevin Garnett

These are the NBA jerseys I think should be safe bets. I was going to add Sacramento's Mike Bibby and San Antonio's Tim Duncan as well, but while I feel they're safe choices, I don't think they're at the level of safeness as those mentioned above. You really just need to go with the marquee player of the team to really be a safe bet. If I can think of anymore, I'll edit the post.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

i'm weird... i like buying jerseys as soon as they're outdated. they're cheaper then, and i don't care if it's 'up to date'...

i've got a dunham predators jersey, 2 hatcher stars jerseys, a wang zhizhi mavericks, a van exel mavericks, a blue and green najera mavericks, an LA kings third jersey, with the CROWN logo on the front, a messier canucks jersey... probably some more i can't remember right this second.

Cavaliers - LeBron James

Knicks - Stephon Marbury

Lakers - Shaquille O'Neal

Pistons - Ben Wallace

Nuggets - Carmelo Anthony

Heat - Dwayne Wade

Rockets - Yao Ming

Mavericks - Dirk Nowitzki

Timberwolves - Kevin Garnett

These are the NBA jerseys I think should be safe bets. I was going to add Sacramento's Mike Bibby and San Antonio's Tim Duncan as well, but while I feel they're safe choices, I don't think they're at the level of safeness as those mentioned above. You really just need to go with the marquee player of the team to really be a safe bet. If I can think of anymore, I'll edit the post.

This coming from the proud owner of a Sprewell Knicks jersey... :P

I am the happy owner of a Shea Hillenbrand #29 Red Sox away jersey. I wear it proudly to Fenway. I know he was traded on "not-so-friendly" terms and has Boston bad-mouthed ownership from Arizona. But I saw him play here in Lowell as a minor-leaguer, and I think he's still a good player.

And I like #29. If I don't wear #22, it's my second pick.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Hockey: Montreal Canadiens... if the NHL is still around 30 years from now and there is still the Canadiens, they will still be wearing their trustee blue, blanc et rouge. The RedWings are also a safe bet.

As for players, Virtually no one is safe in todays NHL. These are the safest players: Brodeur, Yzerman, Sakic.

you guys disappoint me... no one has named the safest player ever and which i own 2 jerseys of... Mario Lemieux Penguins... no matter what that jersey is a classic... that being said i think stevie Y and Sakic will finish their careers in Detroit and Colorado respectively... barring a miracle

just thought of something the hardest jerseys to buy have to be cfl jerseys if the player doesnt get traded he becomes a star and leaves to the NFL to sit on the bench and make more money... happens to the riders every year... other teams too i suppose but we really feel it in Regina...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

I know you'll never go this route, but to answer the question.

Packers - Ahman Green

You could also go with Brett since it'll immediatley start going as a $300 throwback once he retires.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

I think the best answer to this question is kind of a trick answer- buy a classic jersey from someone who already retired, or someone who is about to.

a 23 bulls will be cool until the end of time. A 3 Yankees, a 99 Kings, etc, etc...

or.. is that cheating? If so, i'd say a 3 Green Bay is about the safest pick ever.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I do not own a single jersey with a player on that team. It sucks and seems like they get traded or releases the year I buy them.

Patriots - Drew Bledsoe - I bought it the day before the game he injured himself.

Patriots - Lawyer Milloy - Bought the red throwback. That worked out well. Another one that I thought was a safe bet.

Hurricans - Ron Francis - Bought it at the beginning of the year, figuring he'd retire a Cane.

Celtics - Antoine Walker - Can you see a trend?

Nuggets - Antonio McDeyess

Red Sox - Mo Vaughn

Saints - Ricky Williams

Cardinals - Simeon Rice

Magic - Shaquille O'Neal

So as you can see, there is no such thing as a safe bet.

I'm thinking of buying a Pujols jersey next. :lol::lol::lol:

That's one reason I like college jerseys. You may not be able to get names on the back for current players but you never have to worry about the players who's number you got going to play for your biggest rival (for the most part)

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived