Jabberwockey Hockey League (JHL)....The Wrap-Up.

sparkychewbarky

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Tavistock Jabberwocks

Tavistock is the largest city in Northumbria. Almost 80% of the population live in this huge, fortified, industrial centre.

The rest of Northumbria is a sparsely populated wilderness, full of natural resources and jabberwocks.

Their only contact with the rest of Wunderland was in the form of their endless raids across the border in search of gold,

and from the constant "visits" from Oxford missionaries, bent on reforming their pagan religion.

For most of their history, they were a disconnected community of squabbling clans.

They were weakly united through their language, religion, and culture which included a beautiful, celtic-like nordic art.

To the rest of Wunderland, they were a mysterious nuisance, rather than a force to be reckoned with...

That all changed when St. Alice of Oxford lopped off the head of the Queen of Hartland's jabberwock.

The years of fighting for liberation were over, and during that time, Oxford City had assembled an impressive army, now with nothing to do.

Years of peaceful missionary ventures into Northumbria had been unsuccessful.

(The Northumbrians would tolerate the priests until their "gifts" ran out, and then send the missionaries back to O.C.).

Oxford now decided that military force would be needed to bring all of Wunderland under one religion, and thus began the era of the Crusades.

Oxford gave Northumbria a reason to unite, and "Olaf the Brave" would be the one to gather the clans!

vship.jpg

...to be continued...(I have to head out to breakfast)

The bacon wasn't crispy enough...

Anyway, to make a long story short, Olaf defeated the invading forces, and then headed south and sacked Oxford City.

He then left as quickly as he came.

Oxford "got the memo" and stopped trying to reform the Northumbrians.

Olaf returned to reign over a new country, with a unique identity that today, is reflected in its sports teams.

The Jabs adopt the colours of Northumbria's flag, and the Nordic-Jabberwock crest of Olaf the Brave.

jablogos.jpg

The socks on the unis are a little different.

The first uniforms were boringly bland- plain green sweaters, plain brown pants, plain green socks.

The players took it upon themselves to "jazz things up" by taping their socks with a gold-coloured tape.

The "look" actually resembled the leggings of ancient Northumberland warriors.

The fans loved it, and so the tradition continued with the new uniforms; each player with his own unique "taping".

jabbackjabs.jpg

Some Wocks' stuff...

jabsstuff.jpg

...And finally, the promo that got the entire marketing department of the Oxford City Saints fired!

jabversussaints.jpg

Up next- The wrap-up.

Love all the concepts. For the Rabbits one would you consider making the white jersey with the shoulder crest (or making a 3rd jersey with it). Like the watch logo, it's just that the secondary is more instantly identifiable as a rabbit (which might be better for road games).

If you want to continue with the Monty Python references: could have the Saints use the Holy Hand Grenade when playing the Rabbits.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Thanks greyraven. The Holy Hand Grenade would make a great trophy for the winner of a mini-series between the Knights and the Rabbits, or as you suggest, the Saints and the Rabbits.

I may get a chance to try your Rabbit-alt idea if I get the time to do a series of alts (3rds).

However, with the nice weather just around the corner, my work's gonna get crazy busy, so any additional concepts could take a while.

So, I'm gonna wrap this up.

Thanks to all for viewing and commenting. It was a lot of fun creating a fictional Wunderland history and hockey league.(based on "Alice in Wonderland".)

The main objective though, in this self-inflicted challenge, was to create 6 different styles of unis and logos.

I'm curious as to which ones you liked and didn't like; which ones were your fave and least fave, and why.

Here are the 6 teams, and thanks again for tuning in.

singlecats.jpgsinglerabbits.jpg

singlerk.jpgsinglewk.jpg

singlejabs.jpgsinglesaints.jpg

Guest darkpiranha

Awesome series. Not sure I could pinpoint just one design as better than the others, but maybe the Rabbits? Of course, I love the chess pattern of the White Knights as well. But the Rabbits had the best logo. BUT... these logos and designs don't exist in a vacuum. The history associated with each one of them colors (or colours) the entire product. I probably like the Saints history overall, but each rivalry story was fantastic. As a writer myself, I particularly appreciate the cleverness of the backstory. These sorts of things are hard to pull off where they are interesting for anyone besides the person who wrote them.

Ultimately, this is a model for how to do a series. Short, sweet, thorough, fun, creative, complete (but with the promise of extra stuff down the line). Everyone else needs to take notice of how you did this and apply it to their next (or ongoing) series.

Guest darkpiranha

However, with the nice weather just around the corner, my works gonna get crazy busy, so any additional concepts could take a while.

Might I suggest you create a rival for the Highlanders? The rivalries were maybe the most fun part of this series, and it saddens me that the Highlanders don't have a natural, hated rival. I'm going to throw out a city name that I think would be perfect. Antigonish. I may be partial to it having been born there, but I think it's an ideal location for an NHL team. Huge metropolitan area to draw from. Gorgeous new stadium.

Okay, maybe not. But can you make us at least the main minor league team for the Highlanders?

Ultimately, this is a model for how to do a series.

Thanks darkp. Your positive comments and participation in this series were much appreciated.

(Off-topic...as an ex-Nova Scotian living in Houston, you should check out an old movie called "Local Hero".

It's dated and moves a little slowly, but I think you'd get a kick out of it.)

Anyway, I intend to do something with the Highlanders identity...I just don't know what exactly yet.

I'll keep you posted. Thx again, and good luck with the writing.

Guest darkpiranha

Loved "Local Hero" and one of my top five favorite movies is Bill Forsyth (the director)'s previous film "Gregory's Girl". Never actually been to Nova Scotia (or Scotland) besides being born there, but it's a goal of mine in the next couple of years to see my birthplace with non-baby eyes.

Love your work. My favorite would have to be the rabbits. You really outdid yourself with the professional, outside the box, approach that is just amazing. I've been looking at your stuff to figure out how in the heck you pull that kind of professionalism off.

As for my least favorite it would have to be the white knights. The only reason I picked them was because of the lone B logo. I think it still looks good, but without the knight outline it just seems to lose something for me.

Thank you for taking us through your wonderland league. Hopefully we can all appreciate more of your stuff in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Un-freaking-believable. The jerseys, the logos, hell, the concept is brilliant! Absolutely love everything about it!

Oh I can just see it happening for real, Wonderland with their rowdy and pounding style of hockey. hehe

VHj90kn.png

Thank you for taking us through your wonderland league.

Thanks werbear. How's your bear logo progressing? it was looking pretty good.

Un-freaking-believable. The jerseys, the logos, hell, the concept is brilliant! Absolutely love everything about it!

Oh I can just see it happening for real, Wonderland with their rowdy and pounding style of hockey. hehe

Thanks Axe. I'm putting together a "Battle for Markham" series, and I'll be using a lot of elements from the Jabberwocky league. Stay tuned.

Archived