Adidas sorta-camo; or: AAAAUUUGGGHHH! YOUR EYES!

PackerBadger

Many college players wear a T-shirt underneath the uniform so the sleeves give a team a more uniform look. Adidas could really make a new trend for NCAA if the designs were not so over the top.

I just think that's a trend as well. Just like shooting sleeves, just like those leggings that NBA players were wearing (but were banned I think by the NBA). Ray Allen used to not wear shooting sleeves for the longest time, now he wears two. Lebron didn't wear shooting sleeves, now he does sometimes, and sometimes he doesn't. Dwight Howard used to not wear shooting sleeves for the longest time, then he started wearing them on each arm. Then he ditched those to shoulder sleeves. It's all about fashion and what's in, in the moment, as these things serve no purpose whatsoever. These sleeves probably gone soon enough.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many college players wear a T-shirt underneath the uniform so the sleeves give a team a more uniform look. Adidas could really make a new trend for NCAA if the designs were not so over the top.

I just think that's a trend as well. Just like shooting sleeves, just like those leggings that NBA players were wearing (but were banned I think by the NBA). Ray Allen used to not wear shooting sleeves for the longest time, now he wears two. Lebron didn't wear shooting sleeves, now he does sometimes, and sometimes he doesn't. Dwight Howard used to not wear shooting sleeves for the longest time, then he started wearing them on each arm. Then he ditched those to shoulder sleeves. It's all about fashion and what's in, in the moment, as these things serve no purpose whatsoever. These sleeves probably gone soon enough.

Actually Dwight's shoulder sleeves are for medical reasons.

Everything else though is yes a fashion statement basically, although te padded sleeves and leggings are just like elbow and knee pads.

Everything else though is yes a fashion statement basically, although te padded sleeves and leggings are just like elbow and knee pads.

I figured Howard's shoulder sleeves had something to do with his injuries, but I didn't see any visible padding or anything.

I understand that the padded elements are just like elbow and knee pads, I just don't recall any of the player wearing knee pads or elbow pads prior to the sleeves.

For some reason, there have always been college players who have worn the t shirt underneath the jersey... So I wouldn't call it a trend. NBA players wearing sleeves? Definitely a trend.

For some reason, there have always been college players who have worn the t shirt underneath the jersey... So I wouldn't call it a trend. NBA players wearing sleeves? Definitely a trend.

I agree...patrick ewing wore a t shirt in the early 80's

Oh definitely. The aforementioned Ewing, Adam Morrison and Roy Hibbert are the first to come to mind for me, but they all didn't wear t-shirts when they went pro (just realized you made that same point). But those were regular t-shirts. The ones worn now are tight, Under Armour type shirts.

I just don't get how it's supposedly less restrictive than a sleeveless jersey.

Not sure why there is a belief that wearing sleeves adversely affects your abilities while playing basketball. Go down to any playground or gym and watch a pickup game and you will see most of the players wearing sleeves and playing pretty darn well. I've played b-ball all of my life and actually felt most comfortable when wearing form fitting t-shirts or compression wear while playing ball because it seemed to give some semblance of stability to my shoulder joints. I just feel like it helps me more to have that feeling of protection after having a handful of shoulder injuries. I can imagine that many college and pro players feel the same.

If anyone wants to be a uniform designer these days, they have to come up with wild, insane, stuff. I actually tried to come up with the worst possible idea for a Gators uniform, and I actually still like it better than what Adidas is doing:

BadGators_zpsbc72ba35.png

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Not enough swoosh.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

If anyone wants to be a uniform designer these days, they have to come up with wild, insane, stuff. I actually tried to come up with the worst possible idea for a Gators uniform, and I actually still like it better than what Adidas is doing:

The prayer in white letters isn't centered.

It's not a prayer. It's the lyrics to Florida's alma mater.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Oh, OK, sorry about that...

...still isn't centered.

Oh, OK, sorry about that...

...still isn't centered.

...not supposed to be. The whole thing is a joke. B)

spacer.png

I figured Howard's shoulder sleeves had something to do with his injuries, but I didn't see any visible padding or anything.

I understand that the padded elements are just like elbow and knee pads, I just don't recall any of the player wearing knee pads or elbow pads prior to the sleeves.

The 90s equivalent of a padded shooting sleeve and padded tights..

http://m304.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/Hakeem%20Olajuwon/VS/Shaquille%20Oneal/1995shaqvshakeem1-1.jpg.html?o=6

Saw this yesterday on DeadSpin...gotta hand it to UCLA Alums...very polite. I'm hoping someone can find these adidas department head's facts on the jerseys sales and confirm them.

http://deadspin.com/all-the-angry-emails-sent-to-ucla-by-fans-who-hated-the-457092932

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

So is it true that Kansas, UCLA and Michigan only wore these once? (And Michigan's barely qualified from what I saw... the navy on navy zubaz was only noticeable in closeups.)

From the emails Deadspin acquired, it seems the "legendary" schools were being played against each other, or at the very least wanted confirmation that the others with history were participating.

Once it became obvious that that the fans weren't laughing with you, they were laughing at you, they all jumped off the bandwagon. Interesting one-offs, though. Probably will help those "best thing we've ever done" sales.

I side with some of the UCLA alumni letters that said, basically, "We're better than that." If adidas can't be bothered to come up with a custom look for its premier programs rather than lump them into a templated marketing push...

Dada jersey. sweet!

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Cincy is wearing these again in the Tourney, only the numbers and NOB are white instead of neon red. The wordmark is still red, everything else looks to be identical.

Guessing the NCAA made them change he numbers/NOB to white for legibility purposes.

Archived