Rumor - Mariners going to creme colored unis?

larrypep

Agree %100 with navy/OG being a horrible idea... Current set is the best they have ever looked IMO. Don't mess with a good thing! Learn from the Jacksonville Jags !!!!

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A truly detestable move to try to pull off.

Why? What they got now is nearly perfect. Just tweak the navy alternate and revive the teal alternate cap. Ta dah. :winner:

This reeks of change just for the sake of change.

Please no. This would be a terrible move. We don't need to fall into that crappy fauxback trend. The (approximately) once a year throwbacks the M's have been doing in recent years is great. Don't mess with something so solid, the navy and teal are becoming rather iconic at this point.

As McCall mentioned above, they just need to make the teal-billed cap the full-time home cap, and bring back the 1999 navy "Seattle" alternate with piping and matching number font to replace the current road alt. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if they wore those at home once in awhile.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Last summer I went to Seattle with some Baseball fans (I'm not one in the slightest) and found myself in the Mariners team store at Safeco Field. After seeing the Authentic jerseys in Teal, Navy and Silver I was almost tempted to buy one. That colour scheme looks absolutely fantastic! Ditching it in favour of an overused Navy/Gold combination would be a travesty for a league with so little originality as is.

I love the navy/teal/silver combo with the Mariners. I think it's the nostalgia of growing up watching Griffey/Buhner/Edgar/Big Unit/etc in the 90s. The look certainly doesn't have a "classic" feel to it, but the Mariners aren't really a "classic" team...if that makes sense. The look is definitive of the Mariners, though, and I hope they reconsider.

It's hard to blame EFF. Yeah, it's their idea, but the Mariners make the final call.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

Teal was my favorite color before the Jags came to town. The death of it because it was a decade fad is a travesty in the sports logo world. It really is a sad trend. This beautiful color is becoming a victim.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm intrigued at the idea that the Mariners update their 1981-1986 uniforms, but instead of blue and gold, they would be navy and teal. I want to see the return of racing stripes and v-neck pullover jerseys. I'm sick of seeing Felix pitch with 3-4 buttons unbuttoned on the current boring, generic Mariners jersey. A v-neck pullover would take care of that. I am sick of button-front jerseys period. I hate fake tradition. If the Mariners want to be traditional, celebrate their tradition. Their tradition is v-neck pullover jerseys, plus it would require just 2 colors, navy and teal. 2 birds with one stone. An update of their 1981-1986 uniforms as their new look is the best solution for the Mariners current style rut.

I said it in the news article comments and I'll say it again...the Mariners, as they are, look good now. They looked sharp in 1993. This uniform will look sharp in 2093. But, then again, the ability to gleefully ruin a good thing is a talent. A talent displaying some degree of ignorance and stupidity, but a talent regardless (see Loria, Jeff)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I'm intrigued at the idea that the Mariners update their 1981-1986 uniforms, but instead of blue and gold, they would be navy and teal. I want to see the return of racing stripes and v-neck pullover jerseys. I'm sick of seeing Felix pitch with 3-4 buttons unbuttoned on the current boring, generic Mariners jersey. A v-neck pullover would take care of that. I am sick of button-front jerseys period. I hate fake tradition. If the Mariners want to be traditional, celebrate their tradition. Their tradition is v-neck pullover jerseys, plus it would require just 2 colors, navy and teal. 2 birds with one stone. An update of their 1981-1986 uniforms as their new look is the best solution for the Mariners current style rut.

V-neck pullovers and racing stripes weren't a tradition. They were a fad of the 70's and 80's. Much like disco and hair bands, society has moved on. Sure they're fun to see every now and then, but are much better left back in their period time.

V-neck pullovers and racing stripes weren't a tradition. They were a fad of the 70's and 80's. Much like disco and hair bands, society has moved on. Sure they're fun to see every now and then, but are much better left back in their period time.

so... if v-neck pullovers and racing stripes aren't the tradition of the mariners, then what makes blue and teal the tradition of the mariners? the pullover/racing stripe era was the 70's and 80's... well the teal era of sports was the 90's... so i guess the mariners only real tradition would be jumping on the bandwagon of the latest trends.

so wouldn't switching to a vintage white/cream be the most trendy thing for them to do? thus making it traditionally mariner?

so... if v-neck pullovers and racing stripes aren't the tradition of the mariners, then what makes blue and teal the tradition of the mariners? the pullover/racing stripe era was the 70's and 80's... well the teal era of sports was the 90's... so i guess the mariners only real tradition would be jumping on the bandwagon of the latest trends.

so wouldn't switching to a vintage white/cream be the most trendy thing for them to do? thus making it traditionally mariner?

Personally I consider the navy and real "traditional" due to our run in the 95 playoffs. Even though I'm partial to the "M trident" logo, the navy and teal are what the fans here in the NW love.

teams.gif

Someone be a World Champ, please!

Fantasy Football Keeper League.....PM me if you want to join!!

V-neck pullover jerseys would be a joke for any MLB team at the present time. And while I do love the trident, as well as the '80s set as a whole, I just don't see an all-out return to it (or even anything close) happening.

As far as the whole stability thing goes, put it in perspective. The first trident set lasted only 4 seasons: '77-'80. The next trident set? '81-'86. The ugly Romanesque-font set? '87-'92. There's a reason the teal/navy/compass set has been around since '93: they finally found something that works on the long term. And sure, we've been through plenty of GMs and managers the past decade; as a fellow M's fan, I feel you there. But I wonder, have you looked enough at what was happening behind the scenes during the trident era? Things were even sadder then than they are now.

Bottom line: if such a drastic, unnecessary change is made, fans from Bellingham to Spokane and everywhere in between will be voicing their displeasure. The current scheme is universally adored. Long live the navy and teal without cream!

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

I think the case can be made that the Mariners are due for a new look in the next few years, once things start turning around.

A new look. Not a retread of what they wore the last time they were this terrible. Something to signify that the club is moving in the right direction again. The compass rose had it's glory years in 1995 and 2001. I don't think that needs to happen, but that's the only argument I could consider for doing so.

nhl94vansigpng.png

The Mariners have worn navy blue and teal longer than they wore royal blue and yellow. They've also experienced way more success in the current colors and logos than they ever did in the old ones.

The trident logo is silly (and I've heard upside down tridents are bad luck in sailing and nautical lore) and the kind of thing that is trying too hard to be clever. You'd expect it to be used by a Mariners' AA team at this point and it would fit right in. It's bush.

EVEN IF none of that were true, navy blue-teal and their current logos are 100X more attractive than what they wore in the late 70's and throughout the 80's. Going back to those colors and cream colored uniforms would be a disaster.

The Mariners are finally getting it right with introducing more teal throughout the uniform and maintaining a classy identity. Them changing would be a uniform tragedy on par with the graphite Blue Jays.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The trident logo is silly (and I've heard upside down tridents are bad luck in sailing and nautical lore) and the kind of thing that is trying too hard to be clever. You'd expect it to be used by a Mariners' AA team at this point and it would fit right in. It's bush.

As an employee of the Jackson Generals, Double-A Southern League affiliate of the Seattle Mariners, I resent that statement!

(Everett, on the other hand, is using the trident turned on its side as an "E.")

Funny that the Mariners are thinking of getting rid of the teal just as that color is making a huge comeback in fashion and design. I've been seeing it in everything from the runways to product design. Come on Mariners, hold on for another couple of years and you'll have the "in" color again.

Archived