Rumor - Mariners going to creme colored unis?

larrypep

Difference between the Mariners and Blue Jays/Astros:

1.The Blue Jays and Astros both had good amounts of success in their classic looks, while the Mariners blew.

2. The Blue Jays and Astros fans had a strong attachment to their previous looks, while there isn't any kind of massive outcry among Mariners fans to change to what they wore when nobody cared about the team.

3. The Blue Jays and Astros had horrible previous looks, while the Mariners' current set is a few additions from being perfect.

Im agreeing with you...the Mariners look is iconic right now. I love the teal and navy look. Reminds me of growing up watching Griffey Jr

Im just comparing this new "Retro" Logo craze with the "Retro" ballpark

Hey maybe since they're apparently switching back to blue and gold, I should write them a letter asking if they could reconstruct the Kingdome!!!

I really hate the use of the word "iconic" on this forum. The Mariners color scheme is recognizeable by baseball fans as uniquely theirs, but it's far from iconic. That doesn't mean that it doesn't look very nice, but it's not "iconic". Would it be a shame to lose that scheme? Sure. Is it a tragedy? No.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.The Blue Jays and Astros both had good amounts of success in their classic looks, while the Mariners blew.

2. The Blue Jays and Astros fans had a strong attachment to their previous looks, while there isn't any kind of massive outcry among Mariners fans to change to what they wore when nobody cared about the team.

3. The Blue Jays and Astros had horrible previous looks, while the Mariners' current set is a few additions from being perfect.

Im agreeing with you...the Mariners look is iconic right now. I love the teal and navy look. Reminds me of growing up watching Griffey Jr

Hey maybe since they're apparently switching back to blue and gold, I should write them a letter asking if they could reconstruct the Kingdome!!!

I really hate the use of the word "iconic" on this forum. The Mariners color scheme is recognizeable by baseball fans as uniquely theirs, but it's far from iconic. That doesn't mean that it doesn't look very nice, but it's not "iconic". Would it be a shame to lose that scheme? Sure. Is it a tragedy? No.

I was about to post the same thing after reading like 4 straight posts describing the Mariners' unis as "iconic". They're not.

Come up with a different word because iconic is out of place here (and 90% of the other times dopes on here use it).

As for the Mariners changing colors. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Mariners have a top 5 identity in all of baseball in my opinion. Going back to blue and yellow would be terrible.

And I don't even like the M trident logo. Always thought it looked too small. The current logo blows it out of the water in my eyes. Plus, I've always been a bigger fan of the hat logo representing the city name rather than the team name.

90758391980.gif

All we have is a colour scheme. This change could signify anything. They could simply recolour their current identity. They could go full throwback. They could go with a Jays/Astros-esque updated throwback look. I'm going to wait and see what they come up with before declaring it a failure.

The navy/teal look is great, yes, but blue and athletic gold is nice too. Besides, royal and athletic gold is a beautiful scheme. Someone should use it if the Brewers won't.

I was about to post the same thing after reading like 4 straight posts describing the Mariners' unis as "iconic". They're not.

Come up with a different word because iconic is out of place here (and 90% of the other times dopes on here use it).

As for the Mariners changing colors. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

The Mariners look isn't iconic, but it's a modern classic. At times, it's mind blowing to think their set came out in the early 90's, the epitome of terrible sports design. It looked good then, it looks good now, and it will still look good 20 years from now. Also, they've spent more time in their current look than they have in the royal blue and yellow. There really is no reason to change. I have nothing against those colors and they don't look bad in them, but I'll take their current scheme any day of the week.

All we have is a colour scheme. This change could signify anything. They could simply recolour their current identity. They could go full throwback. They could go with a Jays/Astros-esque updated throwback look. I'm going to wait and see what they come up with before declaring it a failure.

The navy/teal look is great, yes, but blue and athletic gold is nice too. Besides, royal and athletic gold is a beautiful scheme. Someone should use it if the Brewers won't.

It is a great color scheme, yes. However, as I said, I would be surprised if they actually went back to royal blue and yellow. Because they're the Mariners, and because "dark iz kewl!", I am pretty certain they're going to do just like the Sabres and "go back to" a navy and yellow set they never wore before, because close enough.

And they might very well design a nice set using royal blue and yellow, but it would still be wrong for them considering they have established themselves as a navy and teal team. There's no way a new set could be good enough to make up for the fact that it's in the wrong colors.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Blue, old gold and cream would be (as others have pointed out) a PERFECT color set for the Brewers. Seattle is a coastal city that came of age in the 90s and their colors include teal, the quintessential 90s color... there's really not a more perfect color scheme for the Mariners than what they wear now.

Blue, old gold and cream would be (as others have pointed out) a PERFECT color set for the Brewers. Seattle is a coastal city that came of age in the 90s and their colors include teal, the quintessential 90s color... there's really not a more perfect color scheme for the Mariners than what they wear now.

I agree wholeheartedly. There's simply no need for the Mariners to abandon the Navy/Teal look. If anything, they can swap out silver for metallic gold. Perhaps this could be done to give a slightly antiquated feel or could ever-so-slightly and indirectly call back to the Royal/Yellow.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I've always been a bigger fan of the hat logo representing the city name rather than the team name.

Agree with this. It makes caps more popular, IMO, because people who don't even like baseball will wear them to rep their city.

I agree wholeheartedly. There's simply no need for the Mariners to abandon the Navy/Teal look. If anything, they can swap out silver for metallic gold. Perhaps this could be done to give a slightly antiquated feel or could ever-so-slightly and indirectly call back to the Royal/Yellow.

I wouldn't even do that... the silver gives the whole scheme a "rainy" feel that's perfectly befitting of the Pacific Northwest.

I'm not in love with the Mariners' current colors/logos/uniforms. They've grown stale. I appreciate creating continuity with Griffey, Unit, and *-***, but they're only the Mariners. What's gamely carrying on a symbol of excellence for older, more successful teams is just clinging to fleeting glory for others.

That said, I can't think of anything worse than royal blue and gold, a color scheme associated above all others with the Brewers, and in the case of the Mariners, just what they happened to wear when they were a forgettable expansion team in an ugly dome. Now, what they have today is still good. Pretty good! There's no guarantee that you could do better. I like the idea of something progressive, the way the Sounders and Seahawks have embraced progressive identities. Whether that can be executed in a way conducive to a baseball uniform, the most traditional and restrictive uniform base in sports, I can't say. But it could be worth a shot to do something flashy and unconventional. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Stay the course. But the Mariners are terrifically ill-suited to look backward.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived