The America League

pcgd

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should have clarified, adidas' North American HQ is in Portland. Nike is in nearby Beaverton.

Ok that makes sense but I still think Nike would be a better choice for the Oregon team but get its your league. Also quicksilver is an interesting choice of brand wast aware they made anything but surf an snow gear

This series has been an absolute joy to check in on everyday. I really offer no criticism whatsoever. I am curious though, how long did you spend working on this series? I've been to your website and really like that you incorporate this project in your professional site. How have you balanced doing work for clients and spending obviously a lot of time on this project?

SO GLAD to see Miller is sponsoring someone other than Milwaukee (unlike so many other shirt sponsor concepts that get posted here). The people up here who'd be most likely to support a soccer club are the same ones who hold their noses up at MillerCoors' chemical p~sswater (and rightfully so, IMO). I didn't like this uniform when I saw it in the preview on the first page, but in context, I really like Orange County.

Another very solid outing. I really love San Antonio's colors in particular, and the "rosy" shade of red you used for Rose City... very Portland.

Portland is awesome!!!! I like that you went with Rouge Ale as the sponser. Many would have taken the easy route and gone the Widmer Brother route. Colors, uni, and logo are all a perfect fit! Adidas is the right choice over Nike. Nike is based in Beaverton (about 2 miles from my house) where as Adidas is right in the heart of the Rose City.

San Antonio is equally as awesome!

DLWatt.png

I love that Music City's crest is in the shape of a guitar pick.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Sorry its been a bit sparatic lately but honestly it can get a little stressfull feeling like you "have" to do it every night! Plus its nice spreading it out a bit more! Anyway... Only 12 more remain after tonights entry!

Southie SC // Premier League

southie1.jpg

Southie is one of the original teams in the America League and its the "Irish Team" in the league. The team is a mid-level team in the Premier League with 5 total championships under the belts while playing their matches at Moakley Park. The team has taken on the identity of its neighborhood being a very "working class" team that isn't afraid to mix it up on the pitch or off.

The logo is a rounded shield with an Irish calladagh holding a soccer ball instead of a heart. The Ireland flag is featured in the shield and that carries over to the team's kits.

The primary kit is tri colored with Kelly, White, and Orange paired with white shorts and green and orange socks. The change kit is "safety yellow" from jersey to socks. The kit sponsor is the largest US owned brewery (sad huh?) Samuel Adams while the kits are made by hometown Reebok.

southie2.jpgsouthie3.jpgsouthie4.jpgsouthie5.jpg

The preliminary sketch is more or less how the design ended up. The main concentration for Southie was the details.

southie6.jpg

San Jose // America One

sanjose1.jpg

San Jose is one team where the name matches the current MLS team's name. San Jose was founded in 1982 just as the Silicon Valley was starting to take off. Their timing couldn't have been better as they've grown with the Valley from a small team to the larger team tehy are today. They just had a few years off recently but are looking to return to the top flight as soon as 2013. The team plays its game in Google Stadium which was built in 2009.

The team logo features a SJ lockup with seismograph pinstripes and the team colors are Royal Blue and Orange. The kits feature the seismograph pinstripes on an orange jersey over blue short and orange socks while the change goes White/blue/white over the same design.

sanjose2.jpgsanjose3.jpgsanjose4.jpgsanjose5.jpg

The only change from the sketch to the final is the orange shorts on the change kit. There honestly isn't a good reason for that change!

sanjose6.jpg

San Diego // America Two

sandiego1.jpg

San Diego is actually a new team for San Diego after the previous team went bankrupt in 2000. The original team had a history of being in the top flight for 40 years but started to struggle with finances in the mid 90s. In 2002 a new ownership team bought the rights to the previous name and were placed in the 4th Level. In 10 years they've worked their way up to America Two with hopes of getting back to the top flight in short order.

The crest is mostly inspired by the environment around San Diego with a whale tail breaching the water and the wavy stripes representing the water.

The team's uniforms have a very unique striping pattern with the wavy double lines from the crest. The primary kit is light blue over white shorts and blue and orange socks. The change kit reverses the orange and blue and are paired with Navy shorts.

sandiego2.jpgsandiego3.jpgsandiego4.jpgsandiego5.jpg

The biggest shift from the sketch to the final is the colors. Originally was thinking a Chargers color scheme but changed to a double blue and orange scheme in its place.

sandiego6.jpg

Guest darkpiranha

Sorry its been a bit sparatic lately but honestly it can get a little stressfull feeling like you "have" to do it every night! Plus its nice spreading it out a bit more! Anyway... Only 12 more remain after tonights entry!

Southie SC // Premier League

southie1.jpg

Southie is one of the original teams in the America League and its the "Irish Team" in the league. The team is a mid-level team in the Premier League with 5 total championships under the belts while playing their matches at Moakley Park. The team has taken on the identity of its neighborhood being a very "working class" team that isn't afraid to mix it up on the pitch or off.

It's a minor thing, but you don't specifically say "Boston" in your write-up. I would naturally ASSUME that any Irish team would be based on Boston, and I can see Boston on one of the signs in the photo backdrop of the logo. Minor, but I know you're a stickler for details.

"SOUTHIE", huh? I'm not sure how I feel about the name. Yes, locals refer to the neighborhood in the familiar manner. However, there's a part of me that thinks locals - some relatives of mine, included - would opt to have the badge bear the more formal name SOUTH BOSTON.

Still, regardless of what place-name appears on the badge, there's a lot to love about this identity. I'm particularly fond of the claddagh hands holding the soccer ball (that's probably the Irish-American and the goalie in me). I also like the "Nothing without effort" motto in Gaelic. The tri-color kit looks brilliant, as well.

I abhor the team's badge being rendered in anything but the actual team colors. Still, you're just reflecting an all-too-common trend amongst real football clubs.

Overall, quite nice.

Not sure I like the idea of two teams in the same state having such similar colors... even if it is California. One of the reasons I've always figured the Chargers throwbacks are so popular with the fans is that the colors are quintessentially San Diego, so I probably would've stuck with your original idea.

I also kind of wish you would've used a more subtle symbol for Ireland (a harp, a black rose, the flag of St. Patrick, etc.) on Southie's badge. EDIT: I also agree with Brian that South Boston would be preferable here.

Love the seismographs on San Jose, though!

Just to confirm, yes Southie is Boston. I was trying to be more local with the name, maybe "South Boston" for the badge and the nickname is "southie" would make more sense.

I did some of these so long ago imforgetnabout the phrases in the necks!

I'll take a look at those other options for Irish symbols, I just think the locals identify with the flag a ton. I was most interested in the 3 color jersey so I could revisit the crest and leave the jersey.

The color comments are fair, I like San Diego as is so maybe something new for San Jose...I think it could change. I tried to keep each level free of overlap but didn't pay as much attention overall cause I knew there had to be some overlap with 68 teams.

I'll take a look at those other options for Irish symbols, I just think the locals identify with the flag a ton. I was most interested in the 3 color jersey so I could revisit the crest and leave the jersey.

I meant to leave a comment about how maybe the Irish flag is more realistic for a project like this, but it must have slipped my mind as I was typing three different posts. Although you wouldn't necessarily have to get rid for the flag to put a black rose on it (or a harp, but I think the black rose would look cooler and is more soccer-y).

The color comments are fair, I like San Diego as is so maybe something new for San Jose...I think it could change. I tried to keep each level free of overlap but didn't pay as much attention overall cause I knew there had to be some overlap with 68 teams.

I figured that was probably what happened. :)

I would think that a team playing in a stadium named after Google would also have the google logo, something like this:

google-g-logo-2012.png

That way it can go with the color scheme. Don't get me wrong I love the look right now, but I personally believe google would be a better fit. Southie is pretty creative and I like the San Diego set too!

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

• 2 weeks later...
Guest darkpiranha

We're sorry, pcgd, for whatever it was we did. Please come back! We want to know how this story ends!

The Paet. The. Great work, as always kind sir. What an undertaking. I really have nothing valuable by way of critique, but then again I don't see what you could (edit: do to make this much better.) You did your homework, made thoughtful decisions right down to the sponsor and it's really an impressive array of work. Kudos.

Archived