The America League

pcgd

More awesome work, thanks for the updates.

As a current resident of the Minnesota area I do very much like the Twin Cities entry (Target might not because they are sticklers about their red). I think it's another awesome crest and clean, slick looking uniforms.

Thanks again for the entire series.

Guest darkpiranha

Great interview. What was it that prompted them to contact you? Was one of them a visitor to this site and/or a concepts fan? Or was it just that they liked your Indy Eleven logo? As cool as it is (and as deserved as it is to us fans of The America League), it seems like a odd choice for an MLS podcast to devote so much time to a fictional league. Especially when most American's aren't even sure the MLS isn't a fictional league.

Cool stuff and congrats on both your real work and hobby work both receiving so much attention all at once.

Three more great entries in an amazing series. Just wow.

As a Minnesotan, I thought it would've been cool to see a Minneapolis team and a St. Paul team to form a rivalry (or even merge at some point throughout history), but the Twin Cities SC set is very, very good.

Cool interview too!!

And so we now conclude the long and some might say epic journey of fake soccer: The America League. The last 3 teams ended up here primarily because of their location in the alphabet.

I will have shirts, stickers and prints available very soon, I'm just tying to get the last of the teams uploaded and ready to go. Follow me on twitter @pcgdstudios for updates!

I don't believe I posted it here, but someone on twitter actually took all the locations and maped them out with the logos and everything! Its really cool. Check it out!

Third Ward // Premier League

thirdward1.jpg

I know a few people have been very curious about the Milwaukee entry and what it would look like. When I lived in Kenosha I feel in love with the Third Ward. At that time there were a number of advertising agency's, graphic design firms, and even the advertising museum located in this small historic neighborhood in Milwaukee. Always felt it was a cool name and could make a great identity for a sports team. I've done a concept before for the Third Ward Brawlers but this one is for Third Ward SC.

The team was founded in 1901 when German warehouse workers from a few different companies started playing soccer in a nearby park after their shifts. They were somewhat outcasts as the Third Ward (sometimes called the Bloody Third) was mostly Italian but they soon started a team that played in the Milwaukee Public League and dominated the city for years. Soon they were well known nationally as the "Bavarian Boys from Milwaukee." They never let their roots go and kept the Third Ward name even though they soon represented all of Milwaukee.

3WSC made sure to connect with Milwaukee's German heritage when the badge was created. The eagle is inspired by the German coat of arms and it forms a M for Milwaukee while the colors are the same as the German flag.

The team's primary kit is all black with a yellow and red sash while the change kit is green with Bavarian style checkerboards.

thirdward2.jpgthirdward3.jpgthirdward4.jpgthirdward5.jpg

The sketch for Milwaukee no longer really exists, there were some major changes made and this was done on the fly.

Virginia Beach // America One

virginiabeach1.jpg

Virginia Beach calls Suffolk, Virginia home. The team was founded recently in 1982 and has had some minor success over their brief existance. They won promotion 2 years in a row to get to the America One in the early 90s. They've stuck around in the 2nd level for the rest of the time but they have had quite the run of tough luck, being near the top towards the end of the year only to come up short.

The team's badge features the two local lighthouses forming a large green V which is holding a soccer ball. They play their games at Hampton Road, an older stadium that was originally built for minor league baseball but was converted for the "Tides" in 1981.

The team's uniforms both feature an oversized green V. Its on black for the primary while the change kit is white. Both are bold but still simple being mostly black and white with lime green accents.

virginiabeach2.jpgvirginiabeach3.jpgvirginiabeach4.jpgvirginiabeach5.jpg

From the sketch to completion the main difference was the shade of lime green. It went a little less neon but still bright for the final!

virginiabeach6.jpg

West Texas // America Two

westtexas1.jpg

In West Texas, a different kind of football is still king. America Football rules the Permian Basin even in our alternate universe and that's why the West Texas Pumpjacks are in America Two despite being around for 90 years. The team has had a rocky history but has always called West Texas home. They've played their home matches in Odessa previously but moved to El Paso in the 1970s.

The team's logo features what is one of my favorite mascots in the whole project. The entire West Texas landscape is covered with Pumpjacks, and they resemble donkeys. So what better logo than a donkey kicking a soccer ball? Their colors resemble the hot Texas sun.

The primary kit is a raglan cut jersey with a gradient yellow-orange body, diagonal lines and black sleeves. They wear black shorts and tri-color socks usually. For their change they drop most the black and wear yellow over orange over yellow.

westtexas2.jpgwesttexas3.jpgwesttexas4.jpg

westtexas5.jpg

The main change was the change kit. I thought the America League had a few too many white change kits so decided to brighten it up a bit.

westtexas6.jpg

Guest darkpiranha

<DarkPiranha stands up. Begins slow clap.>

Truly epic. Glad I was able to witness this from the beginning.

Looking forward to whatever you do next.

<Joins DarkPiranha in his slow clap.>

I haven't really commented on this thread (it was so well done there's not much to critique), but I want to let you know that this was arguably the best thread since I joined CCSLC and I really, really enjoyed following it over the last few months. You, sir, have some major talent and dedication, and I commend you for the work you put into this.

Just... wow!

If you were going to do a neighborhood-based team for Milwaukee, you really couldn't have picked a better one than the Third Ward... and that's from a proud Riverwesterner/Eastsider! The history buff in me also congratulates you on your research of the area.

My only critique is that I'd prefer the change kit to be blue, rather than green, like the actual Bavarian flag. Actually, I would prefer the identity to be more Bavarian-specific in general, but since you're probably already aware of the Milwaukee Bavarians, I can see why you didn't go that route.

EDIT: Also, kudos on avoiding using Miller as a shirt sponsor, which seems to happen with every Milwaukee soccer/rugby concept that gets posted here... even if you did go with Harley. :P

*Joins everyone's slow clap*

Just a fantastic series, probably the best I've seen on these boards and certainly since jaha's EBA. Great work. 4th Division? Take your time, we'll wait. :)

By now Im clapping like a jackass in the back of the room! :)

Everyone chant with me here..... One more division! One more division!!

Seriously, thank you for all the hard work and dedication that you put into this, from your hand drawings to the history. Thank you for letting us all be a part of the best series I have ever seen on this board!

• Atomic locked this topic