The America League

pcgd

Denver Athletic // America Two

denver1.jpg

Denver's entry in America Club has been known as Denver Athletic since its founding in 1902. They had some early successes but they have largely settled into America Two with the occasional run in America One. They do have some success as a "giant killer" in the US Open Cup.

Their team colors are Purple (mountains majesty) and Grey (for stone) and the logo features 2 mountains with the sun setting between, and a DA innerlock at the bottom of the oval.

The uniforms use the mountain motif on the chest, socks and on the sleeve stripes. The primary is a pretty even mix between grey and purple while the change mixes in some white to give a good contrast.

denver2.jpgdenver3.jpgdenver4.jpgdenver5.jpg

The sketch (which got screwed up somehow) is more or less what the design ended up being.

denver6.jpg

To be perfectly honest, this may be the first one I revisit when this project is completed. I think Denver offers so much more to a team's logo from the Colorado flag to the city's icons and identity.

http://pcgdstudios.com/america-league-new-york-united-kingston-denver-athletic/

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, this series is awesome. I love the intense planning out and histories you have and the whole league has a sort of cohesiveness and realness that not many fictional leagues have. My favorites include Arizona United, Beacon Hill and Camden County.

However, I'd say this last can be improved upon.

NYUtd- as you said, United destroyed three great identities. I would love to see those identities maybe in throwback form and then I can appreciate that history. Also, the Brooklyn Bridge really only represent Brooklyn and to a lesser extent, Manhattan. I would use a symbol that represents all of NY like the Statue of Liberty, the NYC subway or the Empire State Building. On the clash jersey, the black lines are in slightly different places on the player model and the regular concept. On the player, the line goes through the Adidas symbol.. I'm not sure what you wanted.

Kingston- I like. It's simple. The pineapples are a little weird as a symbol for a sports team but Jamaica's a weird country.

Denver- love the unis, but the logo is really boring. It's kind of hard to distinguish the mountains and the sun and I would add a third dimension.

Overall though, awesome job.

Guest darkpiranha

I'd agree. Denver is the least amazing so far. Mostly because it's just too close to the Rockies colors and icons. The design is great though, as are all of today's teams.

So you dropped the name of the U.S. Open Cup. What are some of the other cups and tournaments?

And to add to Philsphan, how about the World Trade Center as the unifying symbol? Similar enough in basic shape to what you have for the bridge.

I don't want to say you phoned it in on any of them, Paet... but, yeah, Denver.

As for New York, that's not a change kit. Damnit. (I hate when teams do that.)

Otherwise, enjoy me blowing more smoke up your butt, 'cause you've done amazing work on this thing.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Guest darkpiranha

Otherwise, enjoy me blowing more smoke up your butt, 'cause you've done amazing work on this thing.

Just as an aside, but at what point in humanity's history was the act of blowing smoke up someone else's butt considered to the be not just the HEIGHT of compliment, but having gone one step past it? To the point where you have to reassure the person whose butt you're blowing smoke up that you're not JUST blowing smoke up their butt, but that you are sincerely complimenting them?

Was this a common occurrence in ancient times?

Scene: Italy ca 1503.

"Mr. Da Vinci, I've just seen your new painting... what do you call it? The Mona Lisa? It's just the most amaz--- no. Word's don't do this masterpiece justice. Sir, could you please turn around and lift your tunic? I have to express to you just how moved I am by your work. Fred, could you hand me my pipe?"

Just wondering...

Count me as someone who likes Denver. There probably could be a little bit more to the crest, but it also looks like something that could've been around in 1902, which works for this project.

I can't say I'm feeling NYU though... black and gold don't say "New York" to me at all. Considering that blue is not only in NYC's flag, but literally every major pro team from New York has used some shade of it at some point in their history, it almost feels like an obligation to use it. Perhaps you were trying to avoid that, though.

Either way, the fact that we're already at the N's (and therefore past the M's) now has me VERY curious as to what you're calling the Milwaukee team.

Either way, the fact that we're already at the N's (and therefore past the M's) now has me VERY curious as to what you're calling the Milwaukee team.

Well, he is past Ms in the Premier League, but not America 2. Milwaukee, say hello to the second division.

Not feeling Denver's color scheme. I think you need to add black or maybe darken the purple so there is some more contrast. Your logo also looks a lot like the Denver city flag, don't know if you meant for that to happen, but it works. You could take tha resemblance a step further and use red blue and yellow as the colors. The kits look pretty good, although I would keep the Coors logo red. The purple looks really weird to me even though it fits the kit color scheme.

jNTsTyQ.png

Well, he is past Ms in the Premier League, but not America 2. Milwaukee, say hello to the second division.

Arrogant noob, say hello to the Premier League map.

americaleague4.jpg

Just as an aside, but at what point in humanity's history was the act of blowing smoke up someone else's butt considered to the be not just the HEIGHT of compliment, but having gone one step past it? To the point where you have to reassure the person whose butt you're blowing smoke up that you're not JUST blowing smoke up their butt, but that you are sincerely complimenting them?

Was this a common occurrence in ancient times?

Not to derail the thread further, but I've actually done a stand-up bit about this turn-of-phrase, as well as writing and performing a comedic sketch about it.

Milwaukee will be in the Premier League just to confirm. Its of course not named Milaukee SC or SC Milwaukee but you'll see...

The cup quesiton, I was going to create a new cup like the FA cup but I figured why do that when it exists already and its been around since 1914.

Over the course of 60 teams I knew they couldn't all be gold, Denver I definatly didn't phone it (I know you didn't mean anything by it Kevin!) in but for whatever reason I couldn't figure them out. I will for sure revisit later on. I think there are teams like that in real life where they've had an awful logo for so long that people just accept it. Perhaps Denver is that team in America League.

Onto the next teams!

Nickle City // Premier League

nicklecity1.jpg

Nickle City calls Buffalo, New York home. The Traders as they are known were founded in 1982 and play their matches at the Buffalo Coliseum. They are a relative newcomer to the Premier League as they've spent most of their existence in America One, and usually a middle of the table team at that. Their biggest rivals are Toronto SC just across the boarder. The crest is inspired largely by the flag, but secondly by the seal of the city which is a circle and lent itself perfectly to a soccer crest.

Their uniforms also take their cues from the flag which a lightning sash, a feature that's been on their uniforms since the mid 90s. The Primary kit is Blue/White/Blue with bright yellow accents. Their change kit is all yellow and a tonal sash.

nicklecity2.jpgnicklecity3.jpgnicklecity4.jpgnicklecity5.jpg

The main change from sketch to completion is the colors and the nickname. I wanted to brighten it up overall so I went with a pretty bright blue (brighter than royal) and a very bright yellow which is the same color as Michigan maize.

nicklecity6.jpg

Los Angeles Soccer Club // America One

la1.jpg

LA's other soccer team is known as the Los Angeles Soccer Club (LASC) and they play at the LA Memorial Coliseum (one of a few that I pictured playing at a actual stadium.) They've been around since Los Angeles was a city of 100,000 in 1901. They originally played other western teams mainly in southern California and they do have one of the oldest continuous rivalries with Club San Francisco. Every year they play all the state teams, professional and amateur, for the California Cup. Sometimes for LA, this is their best chance for hardware.

Even though they've been around much longer than Hollywood SC, they've been in their shadow since the 1960s. Hollywood spent a ton of money early on and knocked LASC out of the top spot in LA for years to come.

The crest and uniforms feature the world famous tall Mexican Fan Palms that line LA's streets. I thought those could become stripes on a uniform which could be a cool feature. If I told you that the team used Forest Green, Red and Gold you might think "The Hell?" but I honestly think it works very well. It's unique and bold.

la2.jpgla3.jpgla4.jpgla5.jpg

The final result is more or less what I envisioned when I sketched it out. The main addition was the tonal palms on the change kit, I thought it was more their calling card if it was on both uniforms.

la6.jpg

Deportiva Tijuana // America Two

tijuana1.jpg

Mexico's only entry into the America League is Tijuana. I pictured them as a rouge team that was fed up with Mexico's lack of a national league. They grew tired of playing in regional cups in Baja California in the 1930s all the while looking just a few miles north and seeing a full league. They entered the America League in 1940. Perhaps offended with Tijuana's departure, Mexico started a domestic league in 1943 and didn't allow Tijuana to play in the newly founded league, but they've been perfectly happy staying in the America League.

The crest shape is based on the crest of Tijuana, on the top the castle shape is inspired by the regions architecture. Inside is a lobo, the team's mascot and nickname.

The uniforms feature diagonal hoops split by their team's sponsor Victoria beer. (excellent Mexican Beer btw if you have a chance to try it, much preferred to Corona) The change kit keeps the diagonal stripes but they are thin pinstripes on black.

tijuana2.jpgtijuana3.jpgtijuana4.jpgtijuana5.jpg

The uniforms changed somewhat from where I started. I wanted to do some diagonal hoops or stripes like the Bayern Munich alternates a few seasons ago or the Whitecaps white jerseys. But when I was working with it I liked how the stripes looked like they were broken when the sponsor was put over the top.

tijuana6.jpg

http://pcgdstudios.com/america-league-nickle-city-la-soccer-club-deportiva-tijuana/

Guest darkpiranha

Was Tijuana originally a bull? Looks like it's either a snorting bull, or a mouse with horns. A mouse with horns actually sounds like a cool animal.

Since both Hollywood and LASC have green and gold as their primary colors, and since L.A. is known for major conflicts over "colors", I'd think that their color schemes could be a major source of contention. Might be a fun idea (not necessarily for this, but in general), for two teams to stage an annual battle over who gets to wear certain colors for the upcoming season.

Tijuana is really cool. The colors are awesome and the logo fits the city well. I also love the creativity on the LA jersey with using the palm trees. Nice idea. For Nickel City, I personally like the Buffalo Bolts as a name better and the bolt goes across the chest. Otherwise, the bolt doesn't make as much sense.

Nickel City: I like everything about this one except for the colors. As it is, they look like the Chargers' soccer playing cousins. I would think a team calling itself Nickel City would use nickel silver as a color. That's what the Bills did at first.

LASC: I like the change kit much better than I like the primary kit here. I think the palm tree pattern comes off much nicer tonal than contrasting.

Tijuana: Awesome. Wouldn't change a thing.

Archived