NHL:Project 14 (Added Washington)

colinturner95

Guest darkpiranha

the uniforms and logo look unbalanced and bad.

the color balance of gold/white/black on the green looks off and sloppy. and the logo looks warped and unappealing to the eyes. i'd go back to the drawing board on the entire stars concept.

Dude, did Blacknight95 do something to you that's resulted in this, IMO, uncalled for bashing? My only guess is that you're a Dallas Stars uniform troll or something, making sure to shoot down anything that dares to play around with your beloved team. I've been following this thread for since it started, and I'm just really mystified at the level of hate you (and some others) have been spewing since the first minute. I find it doubly mystifying because you have "moderator" as part of your info.

The jersey combos have been interesting. I've been digging his adding of more gold and green back into it, and while it may not be groundbreaking, I'd hardly call any of the jersey colors "sloppy".

The logo, I'll agree that it needs a lot of work, but your comments were just pure bashing. I'd go back to the drawing board with your entire commentary in this thread.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the uniforms and logo look unbalanced and bad.

the color balance of gold/white/black on the green looks off and sloppy. and the logo looks warped and unappealing to the eyes. i'd go back to the drawing board on the entire stars concept.

Dude, did Blacknight95 do something to you that's resulted in this, IMO, uncalled for bashing? My only guess is that you're a Dallas Stars uniform troll or something, making sure to shoot down anything that dares to play around with your beloved team. I've been following this thread for since it started, and I'm just really mystified at the level of hate you (and some others) have been spewing since the first minute. I find it doubly mystifying because you have "moderator" as part of your info.

The jersey combos have been interesting. I've been digging his adding of more gold and green back into it, and while it may not be groundbreaking, I'd hardly call any of the jersey colors "sloppy".

The logo, I'll agree that it needs a lot of work, but your comments were just pure bashing. I'd go back to the drawing board with your entire commentary in this thread.

i'll elaborate, then.

the color balance is off:

on the green jersey, you have an almost entirely white logo and numbers, with very thin outlines of gold and no black (at least that i can see on my monitor). this doesn't mesh well at all with a uniform that uses very broad outlines of black and white between the green and gold sections. perhaps if the secondary color of the uniform was white, instead of gold, it wouldn't look as mismatched. also, it's a no-no to put the black stripes right next to the dark green. it gets lost, and muddies the already "off" balance of team colors. also, you have large fields of gold on the green jersey that never touch green, but then have the large field of gold around the shoulders completely unoutlined, touching the green.

the white uniform has these same problems, only obviously with colors reversed... but oddly changes the color heirarchy to leave the gold fields around the trim, but change the shoulders to green. not necessarily a huge problem there, but this is also where the lack of black in the logo really makes it look rec-league, because you can see the green touching black on the stripes, but green touching white with no black to anchor the logo anywhere at all.

that's not even mentioning the alternate jersey that still uses a stolen logo, used without credit... a logo and number that are predominantly white on a sweater that doesn't have ANY white whatsoever, other than the NHL logo triangle on the neckline.

the rendering of the logo leaves a lot to be desired. is there a reason behind the jerky shape of the D? or the notch under the serif? it almost looks like a state outline in the negative space, but obviously isn't. if anything about this concept is sloppy, it's the logo... a logo that was designed under duress from someone that had an attitude about people having a problem with his "i didn't have time to make a logo, so i stole one and used it without credit. no biggie. i'm a busy guy." presentation.

if you don't have time to create a work that you can be proud of, or at least take the time to properly credit your source material, then don't waste our time with a posting. i mostly took issue with his attitude about the whole thing, coupled with his supposed entitlement to better criticism than was offered on a thrown together admittedly rushed concept.

a lot of his work in this thread is promising. the stars concept was not, and got off on the wrong foot by googling for a stars concept logo, and then saying "i dunno. i just googled it." a his version of giving credit.

in my honest opinion, the only thing about this concept that seems like it has potential is the striping pattern template. the color choices for each individual stripe are poor, as stated above... but if you gave me (or anyone, not tooting my own horn) that jersey and the fill tool, we could come up with a nice looking sweater, ready to be adorned with a crest.

to summarize, the concept needs work. but not nearly as much work as the attitude that presented it.

and for the record, most stars fans, myself included, think just about anything would be an improvement over what they wear now. so my reaction was anything but protectionism.

Guest darkpiranha

I don't know Blacknight at all, so this isn't in any way a jumping to his defense. I was reading this thread like everyone else, and everything was nice and civil and helpful, but then along came this string of really nasty comments. I scrolled back and re-read the whole thread and I didn't find a single instance of attitude by him or resistance to criticism or suggestions to make his work better. That is, until he was attacked for googling a mockup logo. His entire focus in this thread, thus far, is jersey design, not logo design, and it's clear that logo design isn't his forte. He only got angry when the criticism coming his way on the entire Stars section was nasty and unhelpful, and I almost said something then, but gave you the benefit of the doubt, but the next batch of comments was even more nasty. For no reason that I could see and still don't. And like I said, for it to be coming from a moderator was especially troubling.

That said, who cares about the googled logo? If you start bashing people in this forum for failing to cite a logo source, you'll spend half your day doing so. Some people make an effort to do so, but even they aren't 100% consistent. And by the same token, I don't see anyone, yourself included, citing the website or photographer of any photos you googled and posted. Why is that any different than logo citation? If anything, he should be commended for revealing up front that the logo he used in his mockup was googled. And is citation only necessary when using someone else's unofficial logo? Why don't the people here cite the designer and source of the official logos they use? Every single concept should have "All rights go to the Green Bay Packers" or whatever. We're stealing those logos every day for our own purposes, for our own portfolios and as samples of 'our' work. If we're going to be snooty about using logos or copyrighted material, then it should start there.

But to wrap it all up, your more reasoned criticism was very helpful and interesting, and I hope he takes some of it into consideration. As I said, though, I found the designs refreshing. They need some work, including some of your suggestions, and he's shown that he welcomes sincere suggestions and implements them. But for the most part, there's nothing in his designs that inspire the sort of venom they were getting.

Just sayin'.

Okay, now everyone, get back to work.

I don't know Blacknight at all, so this isn't in any way a jumping to his defense. I was reading this thread like everyone else, and everything was nice and civil and helpful, but then along came this string of really nasty comments. I scrolled back and re-read the whole thread and I didn't find a single instance of attitude by him or resistance to criticism or suggestions to make his work better. That is, until he was attacked for googling a mockup logo. His entire focus in this thread, thus far, is jersey design, not logo design, and it's clear that logo design isn't his forte. He only got angry when the criticism coming his way on the entire Stars section was nasty and unhelpful, and I almost said something then, but gave you the benefit of the doubt, but the next batch of comments was even more nasty. For no reason that I could see and still don't. And like I said, for it to be coming from a moderator was especially troubling.

That said, who cares about the googled logo? If you start bashing people in this forum for failing to cite a logo source, you'll spend half your day doing so. Some people make an effort to do so, but even they aren't 100% consistent. And by the same token, I don't see anyone, yourself included, citing the website or photographer of any photos you googled and posted. Why is that any different than logo citation? If anything, he should be commended for revealing up front that the logo he used in his mockup was googled. And is citation only necessary when using someone else's unofficial logo? Why don't the people here cite the designer and source of the official logos they use? Every single concept should have "All rights go to the Green Bay Packers" or whatever. We're stealing those logos every day for our own purposes, for our own portfolios and as samples of 'our' work. If we're going to be snooty about using logos or copyrighted material, then it should start there.

But to wrap it all up, your more reasoned criticism was very helpful and interesting, and I hope he takes some of it into consideration. As I said, though, I found the designs refreshing. They need some work, including some of your suggestions, and he's shown that he welcomes sincere suggestions and implements them. But for the most part, there's nothing in his designs that inspire the sort of venom they were getting.

Just sayin'.

Okay, now everyone, get back to work.

I will be honest in that this was my first logo that I actually created and gave to the Internet, but I didn't expect to get thrashed the way I have been. I wanted to try my hand at something else in this thread, and while its apparent that its not great, I would have appreciated some help in where it went wrong.

darkpiranha, thanks for "sticking up" for me in some way, even if you didn't mean to.

ColeJ, I don't care if you are the Dallas Stars' biggest fan. I will not return to the drawing board with this, because I like the way it looks, and so did my friends at school. Have fun nailing other peoples concepts while the Stars get Yzermanized.

Detroit will be soon, along with Edmonton.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Please ignore all the Dallas drama, they clearly aren't making a Stanley Cup run anytime soon, and in the meantime : Detroit

Detroit_RedWings_zps45124745.png

On the home/roads, nothing, absolutely nothing changed. I, personally wouldn't mind them using an alternate jersey, and if they do it, I'd want to see a variant of the Winter Classic jersey, so ... I did. C & C please.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Here's the Edmonton Oilers

Edmonton_Oilers_zpsac5e61b4.png?t=1365357242

A new alternate is the only thing new. I tried to bring back the "steel oil drop" logo, but nothing I made looked right, so I went slightly old on it, and brought back the orange jersey from when they were the Alberta Oilers. C & C this, and for all of those following this, did anyone see the Alumni game jerseys? Looks pretty similar doesn't it...

AmPJ0Ty.png 

This artwork is so boss. This series is gonna go down as one of the greatest on this site. Bravo! Btw, looking forward to what you do with my Sens.

I wouldn't give it that distinction yet, but thanks. In regards to your Sens, if your looking to be surprised... don't be, they're not too crazy, at least the home and roads aren't

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Been a while, but dealing with detentions isn't fun... anyway, back on track with Florida

Florida_Panthers_zps1f3a4b13.png?t=1365647704

1st thing you should take note of is the new background, which I think isn't too blinding, but makes the jersey pop more. The only different things about the home and roads are the addition of trim to the yokes and the return of the stick-breaking panther. The alt is the one that introduced yet another circle logo to the NHL, and for some reason light blue. The light blue is gone, and the circle is too, but the panther head remains. C & C on this, LA up soon.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I'll be honest, these concepts are looking a bit lazy. You haven't changed anything on the previous three - sans striping on Florida. Get creative, nobody want's to come here and look at uniforms they've seen a million times. I get you're just starting out however, that's no excuse to not think outside the box. Take your time, don't rush these out for comments.

Oh yeah, ditch the background.

I'll be honest, these concepts are looking a bit lazy. You haven't changed anything on the previous three - sans striping on Florida. Get creative, nobody want's to come here and look at uniforms they've seen a million times. I get you're just starting out however, that's no excuse to not think outside the box. Take your time, don't rush these out for comments.

Oh yeah, ditch the background.

1st of all, the background stays. I like it so it will stay. About Florida, speedy you have been around here a while, and have you ever made a series and you get to a team and you try to think of a new idea for them and you can't because you think what they wear now is really good? That's what happened here. I might have been among the minority that liked their alternate so that's why I brought it back in a sense. If you decide to stick around for a little while longer l, you'll see some radical changes. All right?

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Guest darkpiranha

I have to also vote for ditching, or at least muting, the background. It's very distracting and detracts from your concept. I understand that you want your name watermarked on all your stuff, but there's way more elegant ways of doing it than this.

1st of all, the background stays. I like it so it will stay. About Florida, speedy you have been around here a while, and have you ever made a series and you get to a team and you try to think of a new idea for them and you can't because you think what they wear now is really good? That's what happened here. I might have been among the minority that liked their alternate so that's why I brought it back in a sense. If you decide to stick around for a little while longer l, you'll see some radical changes. All right?

Seriously? tThe guy gave you some good critiques... First of all, the background is awful. It makes it really hard to concentrate on the concept. At the very least tone it down.

Second, I'm with Speedy on this one, the last few concepts have shown minimal effort.

have you ever made a series and you get to a team and you try to think of a new idea for them and you can't because you think what they wear now is really good?

If you can't come up with an idea for three different teams in a row, it means you aren't trying hard enough. This isn't directed just at you, because plenty of people do it, and it bugs the hell out of me.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Seriously? tThe guy gave you some good critiques... First of all, the background is awful. It makes it really hard to concentrate on the concept. At the very least tone it down.

Second, I'm with Speedy on this one, the last few concepts have shown minimal effort.

have you ever made a series and you get to a team and you try to think of a new idea for them and you can't because you think what they wear now is really good?

If you can't come up with an idea for three different teams in a row, it means you aren't trying hard enough. This isn't directed just at you, because plenty of people do it, and it bugs the hell out of me.

Maybe I was out of place in a few things, but now that I have calmed down I see that, but I will stand by this that: I saw nothing wrong with the current H/A's, but I still saw potential in the stick-breaking logo, and adding the trim to the yokes. I think I resurrected a jersey that had potential if redsigned. I've been doing this for a few years now using, "If its not broke, don't fix it", and thats what I've seen for the last few sets. I'll admit that LA won't be life changing, but you'll see some changes, but nothing too major. Speedy, i'm sorry If I sounded out of place.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

The lazy designer has returned with the LA Kings

LA_Kings_zps62d87ad2.png?t=1365972215

So... I originally was going to just add the hem stripe to the home jersey, and keep the throwback, but as you can tell, that wasn't the case. So, the Kings have been "lakerized", which I haven't decided if that's worse than being Yzermaninzed. The alt is completely different than most things you've seen before. Its is 1.a combo of all colors that the Kings have used, 2. based off of the 80-88 shoulder stripes, plus stripes based off the 02-07 hem stripes, and 3. what logo would tie this all together better than.... Burger King guy. I think why everyone didn't like him was because his beard was purple, so they didn't take him seriously, so he used Just For Men's touch of grey and fixed his beard. C & C please.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived