Oregon State Unveils New Logo and Uniforms

BroadSt_Bully

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would like to know why they are doing this. what are their goals? whats the new market position? what has happened that is bringing about these changes? if its an 18 month process, surely they've addressed those things. at least i hope so and its not a change for the sake of change. what they have is pretty solid already.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

This will be like their 3rd nike rebrand. Not exactly the best selling point for other schools considering doing the same thing.

Considering how both TCU and Michigan State didn't adopt the new logo part of the Nike rebrand (they both only took the custom fonts), there definitely appears to be a disconnect between Nike and schools' fans/alumni/students.

This will be like their 3rd nike rebrand. Not exactly the best selling point for other schools considering doing the same thing.

Considering how both TCU and Michigan State didn't adopt the new logo part of the Nike rebrand (they both only took the custom fonts), there definitely appears to be a disconnect between Nike and schools' fans/alumni/students.

Probably because the rebrands are becoming too paint-by-the-numbers. They give a new "custom font", a new logo that may or may not be an improvement (but that Nike retains the rights to for a year or two) and new uniforms (possibly using a new shade of the same color and usually with 1 more option than the team had before). Nothing especially school specific about most of that. I feel like the more recent rebrands haven't been as cohesive as some of the early ones.

Based on the new field, they are dropping the interlocking "OS" and corresponding font I assume? I think that's good. The "OS" never seemed to work.

os_title.jpg

2012-oregon-state-reser-stadium-new-fieldturf.jpg

Whereas I agree that the OS didn't work, I prefer it to the complicated beaver cartoon. I'd have liked to see the OS centered and then used in place of the beaver. But, not having anything to do with the university, I don't know the affinity that might exist for the cartoon.

well, Nike isnt doing many things that are intended to be timeless. if you're going to do something trendy you have to change with the times and keep up with it. Oregon is a textbook example. it will be good for the trendy schools to keep getting something new from time to time (that could just be a new jersey)

in Oregon State's case though, i just dont see the need to change right now. it may just be a move to spark some excitement and get attention but that becomes expensive. because you'll have to keep doing it, like Oregon, or people will tire of it quickly. i think OS is in a good place now with their identity, but im not behind the scenes or know any of their intentions. the main thing is to have a return on their investment. is a new identity/uniforms going to pay off for them? get better recruits, bowl invites, merch sales? we'll see. its definitely worked for Oregon, and i think we'll say the same about ASU and some others.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

The article says this is the new field turf...but it's clearly the old field getting torn up. The OSU AD stated the Reser logos will be rotated to face the press box...the Reser logos clearly aren't rotated to face the press box in that pic. Plus, it has the old endzones and old field markings.

2012-oregon-state-reser-stadium-new-fieldturf.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Whereas I agree that the OS didn't work, I prefer it to the complicated beaver cartoon. I'd have liked to see the OS centered and then used in place of the beaver. But, not having anything to do with the university, I don't know the affinity that might exist for the cartoon.

I don't think they can do anything with the letters because Oklahoma State shares the same colors and pretty much owns the orange and black OSU in college sports now. And OS by itself is just so weird to refer to a university without the U.

As for the cartoon beaver logo, I don't think either the current version (left) or the vintage version (right) are that strong. But perhaps the Oregon State community feels differently.

osu.png

I think the beaver logo could use some simplification and there is actually a logo in Oregon State's vault that could serve as a starting point:

orangeandblack.png

Gosh that wordmark under the beaver is horrendous. I'd like to see them go classic with this one and potenitally base it off the OSU pro combat uni from a few years back. I alway thought those were sharp. Of this whole identity I think my favorite part has been the number font OS mark but it has become a little dated so all in all I'm excited to see where they go with this.

I'm probabley one of the few people here who likes the Beaves cartoon logo. If Oregon State does change, I hope they go the traditional route. That would provide great contrast to Oregon, and would be fun to see a clash of old and modern in the Civil War.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Gosh that wordmark under the beaver is horrendous. I'd like to see them go classic with this one and potenitally base it off the OSU pro combat uni from a few years back. I alway thought those were sharp. Of this whole identity I think my favorite part has been the number font OS mark but it has become a little dated so all in all I'm excited to see where they go with this.

The Pro Combats would make a great starting point for their uniforms. Considering the debacle they went through with the 'sports bra' uniforms, maybe a simple look wouldn't hurt.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Well, Fraser Davidson posted this to his dribbble recently. I believe it's a part of a series he was working on and not an actual OSU rebrand. I also don't think he would leak a rebrand project early like that.

It is a great logo and a good look at the possibilities out there for OSU.

beaver.png?1340286356

i believe those are for the SportsNation blog. they cant use actual logos, so he has come up with an original compliment of about 300 logos. so its not an OS mark, but of course 99% of what FD does is better than the orginal. would look sweet on a helmet

GRAPHIC ARTIST

I'd think that the fact that the Beavers' rival is known for wearing a different uniform every week, they'd want to make their identity more timeless, which they have a good chance at doing with what they have right now. I'll reserve my final verdict until I see this trotted out, but right now it feels like change for the sake of change.

I'd think that the fact that the Beavers' rival is known for wearing a different uniform every week, they'd want to make their identity more timeless, which they have a good chance at doing with what they have right now. I'll reserve my final verdict until I see this trotted out, but right now it feels like change for the sake of change.

Yeah I don't think it'd be a smart move if the Beavers tried to keep up with the Joneses, so to speak. Oregon's going to one-up them every time. Go with something timeless.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived