Raiders Black Helmet, YAARRRR

CS85

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been hoping for years now for a Black facemask on the Raiders helmet...once, in a Pro Bowl, Marcus Allen wore a helmet with a Black mask:

09000d5d8034f8e7_gallery_600.jpg

...thought this was a change into the next season, but it turned out to be a one-time thing.

I used to have another picture from the game in color (from the USA Today sports section), but have lost it over the years.

Raiders logo needs a makeover bad. For the persona they want to have along with their fan base, the grinning clean shaven pirate on their logo is Rediculous.

I disagree. At this point, the Raiders logo is just the Raiders logo, and it's supported by enough mythology and ancillary imagery that you can't worry all that much about the face of the guy. If they changed it to a skeleton zombie pirate or something, they'd just be overplaying their hand, and the Buccaneers are already skeleton zombie pirates now, anyway.

Exactly.

Also it's the Raiders' logo. It's the perfect fit for this team. It's kind of crummy and outdated, but who cares? Being scummy and unpleasant is kind of what the Raiders are all about (and I say that in the best possible way).

As a die hard fan, I know most of the fan base will never be ok with a make over. Traditional ties and the last few things that still go back to Al Davis. I personally wouldn't mind a update to refresh it a bit. The problem is the helmet. How do you add a modern helmet with a face mask to that logo?

The Raiders need a logo redesign if for no other reason that all the Raider fans in LA plaster their cars with window stickers with skulls replacing the pirate anyway.

VmWIn6B.png

Shouldn't the two guys from the 2014 thread be in here trying to say the Raiders are the team changing, just to sell their rumors?

And before anyone freaks out: I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF ANY RAIDERS CHANGES. I AM MERELY COMMENTING ON THE GUYS WHO BROUGHT UP POTENTIAL RADICAL CHANGES IN ANOTHER THREAD.

I had to go all caps so no one tries to claim this post is confirmation of a completely made-up rumor.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Shouldn't the two guys from the 2014 thread be in here trying to say the Raiders are the team changing, just to sell their rumors?

I wasn't going to be the one to bring it up here, buuuuuut......... this.

I know that the people on this board, we're all a little different than most in that a lot of us are always looking for ways to improve logos and uniforms. No problem with that at all, as it sparks conversation and brings out different opinions.

With that said, some things should never be changed. In my opinion, the Raiders logo/uniform is one of them.

And before anyone freaks out: I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF ANY RAIDERS CHANGES. I AM MERELY COMMENTING ON THE GUYS WHO BROUGHT UP POTENTIAL RADICAL CHANGES IN ANOTHER THREAD.

I had to go all caps so no one tries to claim this post is confirmation of a completely made-up rumor.

they were just trolling. I wouldn't read much into it.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

CWthwnG.png

Raiders RB Mike Woodson posted this to instagram.

What I find interesting here is what looks like an underlying metalflake or almost holographic-looking pattern that's most evident around the light-colored reflection. If you look closely it definitely appears to be a pattern of some kind and even on the dark parts of the helmet it looks like something's there.

I have no idea what a determined amateur could accomplish these days so I have no idea whether it's significant (if anything's there at all).

Personally I think the Raiders' helmet would look pretty good if they did away with the shield, pirate, and wordmark and just had a big version of the swords.

The "shouldn't the pirate be wearing a black helmet" comment was pretty hilarious btw.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

CWthwnG.png

Raiders RB Mike Woodson posted this to instagram.

What I find interesting here is what looks like an underlying metalflake or almost holographic-looking pattern that's most evident around the light-colored reflection. If you look closely it definitely appears to be a pattern of some kind and even on the dark parts of the helmet it looks like something's there.

I have no idea what a determined amateur could accomplish these days so I have no idea whether it's significant (if anything's there at all).

The "shouldn't the pirate be wearing a black helmet" comment was pretty hilarious btw.

I believe that is just a reflection on a well-polished helmet.

It's where I sit.

Raiders logo needs a makeover bad. For the persona they want to have along with their fan base, the grinning clean shaven pirate on their logo is Rediculous.

I disagree. At this point, the Raiders logo is just the Raiders logo, and it's supported by enough mythology and ancillary imagery that you can't worry all that much about the face of the guy. If they changed it to a skeleton zombie pirate or something, they'd just be overplaying their hand, and the Buccaneers are already skeleton zombie pirates now, anyway.

Even if they did some nice modernizing to the logo & shield & swords which it could use but keep the base idea and not go all out skull ripping off Tampa or zombie raider & what not. I'm sure Al Davis would find a way to sue his son & the NFL perhaps even the Buccaneers from beyond the grave. -_-

#DTWD #GoJaguars

im not a big fan of the Raiders logo. it's an okay piece of art at best. but theres so much built into this brand that this logo represents i would never advise them to change it. you dont even need to change the type or any lines really, it all works just fine in every application. the uniforms are perfectly timeless. some things should be sacred and i think the Raiders identity is one of them.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived