Lincoln Plainsmen - Feedback and Ideas Please

werbear

I'm working on this plainsmen concept and want to know what people think of the concept. I would also like to hear further ideas this might inspire. Thanks for taking the time to look and all feedback is welcome and appreciated.

LincolnPlainsmenthumnail2_zps6111cd56.png

LincolnPlainsmenthumnail_zpse3d36bb0.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We live in a politically correct world today and unfortunately, your rifle logo would start an uprising in whatever community if it was considered for any school or professional organization.

Best to start with a character of a plainsman or maybe some kind of imagery that reflects that.

Beyond that, the actual design needs "more". Seems as though you found a clipart rifle and typed out the wordmark in MS Word above it.

I get what you're saying. One only has to look at the Washington Bullets to see the backlash against something like that. Mainly I was thinking of using it for a fantasy football image. I agree with the thought that it needs more but I just can't think up what. I'm reluctant to go with a Conestoga wagon logo but it might be the only way to go. My other thought was to go with a pitchfork and create a farmer type logo. I'll give that route a go and see what happens.

Guest darkpiranha

Maybe a wagon wheel shaped like a football, or shown at an angle where it looks oblong like a football. Or maybe a football with two rifles crossed behind it. Or a football with a hat on it.

Guest darkpiranha

I'm guessing that's a plow, but that angle isn't making it easy to figure that out. A big problem is that the logo is too long and narrow (like the rifle was as well) and doesn't fit on a helmet well. You need to find a way to make it more compact, such as changing the angle to where it's coming towards us rather than a side view. For similar inspiration, look for some train logos, as the train's front guard is very similar to the plow. That said, I realize you're just starting out with using graphics programs so that might be a daunting challenge at this stage.

Going back to an earlier version of your logo, I like the one from post #6 with the football in the banner and the rifle on the top. I would maybe keep playing with that one, adjusting some thicknesses of the lines and putting some shading on the football and banner. There are tons of football logos you can look at to see how others have tackled making a football look unique.

I see what you're saying with the long and narrow. I'm taking a look at Purdue to get an idea of what angle to use. In the interim I tried this concept out where I changed the look of the logo by including a border. See what you think.

LincolnPlainsmenplowlogo2_zps74f471bc.png

LincolnPlainsmenplowlogohelmet3_zpse40bd637.png

Vacuum. And it looks like the "handle" part was copied from the STL Blues or Utah Jazz.

Is this supposed to be for a team in Lincoln, Nebraska? The farming/hunting ideas fit well with Nebraska culture, but you need to ramp it up a bit. There's absolutely nothing that screams Nebraska or Lincoln about this concept - yet.

Sometimes, the more simple symbols are better. A plow is a great way to show agricultural ties, but it's an odd looking thing, even in real life. A pitchfork would be a more universal symbol of farming. Or a simple tractor silhouette. You mentioned Purdue; even the Boilermakers use a relatively simply train logo. There's not over-complication and everyone instantly recognizes the "shape" of a locomotive.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Guest darkpiranha

Yeah, that plow isn't going to work. I see a vacuum or a mechanized donkey head. I would advise not spending more time trying to make this version of the plow work, and focus more on developing an alternate, dynamic angle, or something else, like the pitchfork or tractor. Whichever route you go, try to avoid doing just a straight literal side view of whatever object you are using to represent the team.

The L & the P looked like they were different sizes to me...So I resized them and did a few things I saw fit. I also put the LP on the bottom if you want to do anything else to them

k04npl.jpg

I DO LOGOS! TALK TO ME ABOUT YOUR PROJECT!

www.facebook.com/XX1DESIGNS

How about an ox as the mascot? I like the idea of the flat plain dividing an oval between dark and light, but maybe add texture to each, have the dark bottom half with rows of light like a planted field and have the light top half with a couple of clouds. Then the tractor in the middle might work better, or an ox, or a farmhouse, etc.

Archived