NFL returning to localized Super Bowl logo in 2014

lmh1194

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know my knowledge of geography and stadium details is somewhat limited, but if you give me the silhouette of any of the 31 NFL arenas, I wouldn't be able to name it, and aside from Seattle and Washington, I couldn't tell you a certain city's skyline from another's.

... so this doesn't differentiate any of the SB logos at all for me any more than the old versions.

I just un-liked the original post, now that I found out that the crappy logo system is not changing. <_<

But hasn't this regional thing already begun? New Orleans had a bunch of Super Bowl purple and gold scripts all over the city, last year (or this year).

Super-Bowl-New-Orleans-Football.jpg

Life-in-New-Orleans-Super-Bowl-3.jpg

Damn shame they weren't used anywhere else.

Those are from the NFL provided style guides. Every Super Bowl has them. Indy's featured bricks, and extruded type (NFL Font) for example.

Since the chrome logos began they have had versions with the stadiums included, the NFL is now just wanting to focus on that version.

And once again, everyone acts like it's the worst logo of all time when it's clearly not even close. Get over it.

If you can keep the standardized style but add a local flair, it should be cool. I've had no problem with the logo, and I know everyone hates the standardized style, but it's not the worst thing ever.

I know my knowledge of geography and stadium details is somewhat limited, but if you give me the silhouette of any of the 31 NFL arenas, I wouldn't be able to name it, and aside from Seattle and Washington, I couldn't tell you a certain city's skyline from another's.

... so this doesn't differentiate any of the SB logos at all for me any more than the old versions.

C'mon...we all know this one by now, right?:

SB42_STADIUM_LIGHTS_02_SOL.gif

(It's hosting again in 2015.)

As lame as the uniform logos are, there has been one disadvantage to unique branding. Granted, most years were not as bad as this one:

4114.jpg

I was in school at Wisconsin that year and so obviously the Packer Super Bowl garb was everywhere and the majority of it made one thing clear: the game was played in New Orleans. It took away from team color. As a non-packer fan it bugged me, but it would have bugged me even more if my team's logos/colors were buried in a sea of New Orleans colors. I know the locker room Ts were classier, but I saw this stuff everywhere. I bet that 99 percent of the Ts I saw were black with New Orleans stuff taking up more space than the logo.

But I don't really know what most of the subsequent Super Bowl Ts looked like, so maybe this was the worst.

I was living in Green Bay when they won that Super Bowl and remember seeing a crap ton of that style of merch. I always figured it had to do with how well Wisconsinites took to the idea of the game being played in New Orleans. Almost everyone was wearing mardi gras beads leading up to the game (minus the purple, of course) and so much was made about Brett Favre... who was a demigod in GB back then... being from the area.

I was in school at Wisconsin that year and so obviously the Packer Super Bowl garb was everywhere and the majority of it made one thing clear: the game was played in New Orleans. It took away from team color. As a non-packer fan it bugged me, but it would have bugged me even more if my team's logos/colors were buried in a sea of New Orleans colors. I know the locker room Ts were classier, but I saw this stuff everywhere. I bet that 99 percent of the Ts I saw were black with New Orleans stuff taking up more space than the logo.

But I don't really know what most of the subsequent Super Bowl Ts looked like, so maybe this was the worst.

I would imagine most years didn't emphasize the city so much. I mean, what imagery are you going to use for Miami? Maybe neon lights and palm trees, but that's about it. What abou San Diego? Tampa Bay? Jacksonville? I don't think any city lends itself to this as much as New Orleans does. I wouldn't have any problem with the pre-game shirts featuring city iconography (such as conference champs and helmet matchup shirts), as those shirts are more about emphasizing the actual game and the experience, including the fact that it is played in city X. However, I don't think the championship shirts should include anything city-like outside of the game logo.

Still, if getting uinque logos meant we'd have to see shirts like that, I'd still prefer it to having to look at Robo-logo every year.

And once again, everyone acts like it's the worst logo of all time when it's clearly not even close. Get over it.

It's not the worst of all time. It's only:

- Killing creativity

- Making the logo boring and repeitive

- Taking out the one piece of branding for the Super Bowl that ISN'T overly corporate and soulless

- And on top of all that, if these guys HAVE to have a standardized logo, at least make it look better than that.

If you can keep the standardized style but add a local flair, it should be cool. I've had no problem with the logo, and I know everyone hates the standardized style, but it's not the worst thing ever.

It is the worst thing ever considering that this is the SUPER BOWL. It's not the WS, it's not the NBA Finals, it's not the Stanley Cup. There is no reason for this event to be branded with one bland, repetitive logo for the biggest sporting/media event in the country. The "local flair" shouldn't be held back as much as it is now because those host cities work their asses off to make sure everything in the area goes well for the visitors, the NFL, and the media, so why have something as weak and sterile as the current logo system?

And there's nothing saying you can't feature the Lombardi Trophy without making it (truly) unique, like the Grey Cup. This standardized logo system is just a Crtl+C and Ctrl+V.

The NFL needs to realize it's stadiums arent MLB ballparks. For the most part, they're bland, lifeless, and uninspired concrete buildings, with MetLife Stadium probably being one of the worst. No one cares about the stadium, let the host city and culture dominate the logo again.

well

call me crazy but I'm already getting used to the repeating chrome logos

the Super Bowl logos were unique, but from a branding perspective it makes sense to keep them consistent instead of the whacky wild one off logos associated with the biggest sporting event of the year

and honestly, most super bowl logos are kinda ugly and tacky in my opinion...some are good, some are bad, others are 'meh'....the consistent logos are boring and dull but at least they're consistent and NFL branded.

I think what they SHOULD do is to use the 'chrome' super bowl logo for all marketing/promotions/commercials/merchandise leading up to the super bowl but at the event site they should use a specific event look/feel (like new orleans this year) and also carry that on to championship merchandise and collector's items and memoribilia...kind of a 'best of both worlds' strategy

The one distinct difference between the NFL and the other major pro sports is that the NFL championship is held at a predetermined location every year. Trying to turn the NFL's visual identity into that of the NBA/MLB/NHL removes that unique aspect.

It's also worth noting that there aren't really "Finals Festivities" in the NBA or "World Series Festivities" in MLB. Super Bowl Week (it's really two weeks, probably longer now) is an event in and of itself, and having a bland logo that emphasizes the trophy removes all of the other significance surrounding the other stuff that goes on around the Super Bowl.

I get it. The NFL is a business. But at least make it look like a business that hasn't sold its soul to the almighty dollar.

I'm in the middle on this one. I really don't see the unique logos being mutually exclusive with the system logos. I've always felt like the unique logos should be used to commemorate the Super Bowl itself while the system logos should be used to commemorate the city and stadium that hosts the game. I like both, I know that's lame, but there needs to be a happy medium here.

Archived