NFL returning to localized Super Bowl logo in 2014

lmh1194

We are literally in the dark ages of Super Bowl logo design and when they inevitably go back to colorful unique logos every year this will be a marked era of poor ideas.

I don't how anyone who posts on this board could be in favor of them using a logo system. Especially when the logo they've chosen to use year after year looks like that piece of garbage.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't how anyone who posts on this board could be in favor of them using a logo system. Especially when the logo they've chosen to use year after year looks like that piece of garbage.

I equate it to people who favor the BCS system over playoffs in College Football...

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

As lame as the uniform logos are, there has been one disadvantage to unique branding. Granted, most years were not as bad as this one:

4114.jpg

I was in school at Wisconsin that year and so obviously the Packer Super Bowl garb was everywhere and the majority of it made one thing clear: the game was played in New Orleans. It took away from team color. As a non-packer fan it bugged me, but it would have bugged me even more if my team's logos/colors were buried in a sea of New Orleans colors. I know the locker room Ts were classier, but I saw this stuff everywhere. I bet that 99 percent of the Ts I saw were black with New Orleans stuff taking up more space than the logo.

But I don't really know what most of the subsequent Super Bowl Ts looked like, so maybe this was the worst.

If someone from another country didn't know what the Super Bowl was, and they saw this shirt, they might think the Packers were a band that played in a huge jazz concert and one first prize.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

We are literally in the dark ages of Super Bowl logo design and when they inevitably go back to colorful unique logos every year this will be a marked era of poor ideas.

This is a copy/paste from a post I made in another thread a while back:

I really don't get the hate for the "logo system". While I'm not sold on the actual design, I totally understand the desire to stress the title rather than the venue. The NBA does it, the NHL does it, and while I get that the NFL is different because it's known in advance where the game will be played and it's a neutral site, I think that the consistency of knowing that you're playing for the right to wear that silver patch on your jersey every year is a good thing.

I understand we're a bunch of logo / design / art / marketing / etc. fans on this board, and I totally understand why people love the unique site-specific logos (including the anticipation of their release, the critiquing of them, the concepts, etc.) but I also think that it makes a lot of sense from the NFL's perspective to standardize things.

It's one of those things where I really don't think it's wrong to do it one way vs doing it the other. Frankly, I'm in favor of standardizing, but there's pros and cons to each. I can understand loving the old way or loving the new way, but I can't understand hating either way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If you think about it, this logo is still kinda appropriate for NY. Much like the Dallas logo just worked, bland as it was it fit the stadium it was held in. I feel the same here and that's before they added buildings. That being said I would have liked to see less photo realistic renderings of said buildings. I think the sillouettes of the skyline in chrome would've sufficed(and would look better on apparel).

I really don't get the hate for the "logo system". While I'm not sold on the actual design, I totally understand the desire to stress the title rather than the venue. The NBA does it, the NHL does it, and while I get that the NFL is different because it's known in advance where the game will be played and it's a neutral site, I think that the consistency of knowing that you're playing for the right to wear that silver patch on your jersey every year is a good thing.

I understand we're a bunch of logo / design / art / marketing / etc. fans on this board, and I totally understand why people love the unique site-specific logos (including the anticipation of their release, the critiquing of them, the concepts, etc.) but I also think that it makes a lot of sense from the NFL's perspective to standardize things.

It's one of those things where I really don't think it's wrong to do it one way vs doing it the other. Frankly, I'm in favor of standardizing, but there's pros and cons to each. I can understand loving the old way or loving the new way, but I can't understand hating either way.

Totally agree.

This is what happens when a bunch people's 'cheese' gets moved; they inherently become the mouse that incessantly bitches about the change.

Well, at least the NFL/SuperBowl marketing dept is taking a small step in the right direction.

Here was my post before the SuperBowl.

This is what is driving me nuts, they could have the best of both worlds. Go back to the unique regional logo/colors just make sure the Lombardi trophy is in the logo. heck, the NFL could even require that the Lombardi trophy must be a certain size in the logo.

This is not impossible to do NFL brass..

I don't know. I never smoked AstroTurf. ~Tug McGraw, when asked if he preferred grass or artificial turf.

The more I think about it the more I feel this way. The design may not be great, but the idea of a "Super Bowl" identity makes some sense.

As for the bold, this seems to be about as strongly as this board's felt on anything and about as close to a "and if you don't agree you're wrong" vibe as I've ever noticed.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The more I think about it the more I feel this way. The design may not be great, but the idea of a "Super Bowl" identity makes some sense.

I'll just say it again.

You can feature the Lombardi, AND have a unique annual design (which this ISN'T). It's not hard to have a single identity for the game itself while giving a unique appearance for the host city. Examples:

The Final Four. Has the one "Final Four" font feature while having different colors and images in as well.

1ehoil235dqcxlw2fd47.gifbfih8hychmegc4mxwgiefe5kb.giflfyysdedxzrwqxc2r1ndm2n7x.gif

The Grey Cup (probably the best example): The trophy is the main feature, but the design is still unique:

5070.gif2ns5h0v4dab8eb3v99jn4ogxt.gif

Pretty much ANY All-Star Game except the Pro Bowl At the very least, change the font and colors of "Super Bowl" to match where ever it's being played:

mnn2mj4bsfln9crgvofgox6hr.gifnn19hyetvxj9efrdkpln.gif

Even the Winter Classic has a set design (the "Winter Classic" font and title are just about the same), but still unique (the background and colors) every year.

h0g7abhmg5fsgsugj2g0kpmug.gifo0mdfgfp2b7fhn3kcl7hz2ko6.gif8s1jrf6zfov8anyghih0bjeh0.gif

It can be done, NFL. It can be done BETTER than what you're doing now. I hate the "standardized logo system", but if you just HAVE to have it, do it better.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I might be reaching on this but just hear me out. I think the league put this system in play for two reasons:

1. To place more emphasis on the prize and the importance of it. Much like other pro leagues do. They've said this and we all pretty much knew that. Here's the reach:

2. The league wants to put more effort into the work done in the host cities. Ever since SB 45 they have designed separate logos that are more region specific logos that are all over the city and advertising. Maybe they wanted to make the main logo just about the game and everything else about the city.

Instead of one logo that was more about the locale than the trophy, they designed one for the game then put all efforts into multiple city specific logos, merch, decor. The league gets its show piece and the city gets to show its colors & flavor without one taking away from the other. Just a thought.

Archived