Toronto Raptors Concept

P34

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share my latest concept for the Toronto Raptors with you. I didn't get to spend as much time as I'd have liked but I'm pretty happy with it. I feel like my logo illustration is improving which is a positive.

Jerseys lacked the detail they normally do, but it's concept art so you get the scope of it.

Raptors-Logo.jpg

Raptors-Road-6.jpg

P34-Toronto-Raptors-Home.jpg

P34-Toronto-Raptors-Road.jpg

I think those are super sharp. To offer another perspective, the minimalist approach really allows the fabric beveling to stand out as the unique and interesting element it is.

My only question is, does the name and number on the white jersey need to be a bit darker or will the outline suffice. I can see an argument for either, but it might be cool to look at a version with black letters/numbers trimmed in red.

Great work and thanks for posting. I learned a ton looking at this!

"Conduct may be founded on the hard rock or the wet marshes."

while the logos and type are pretty weak here, the photoshop renderings are very well done

Agreed. The logo needs an eye. Right now it looks like one of those creepy voo-doo dolls, maybe I'm getting that feeling from the 3 lines coming from the eyes.

spacer.png

Quality was well done, very much so, but the execution seems to be unfinished. The uniforms are sharp but need refinement. I know that's not very much in the way of information on how to improve it, but keep refining and experimenting. I'm sure in the end it'll be great.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Right now, the shape of the mouth seems more:

B12BB15D65F0E37B5C9D7C87D7B41D.jpg

than:

200804221902_Velociraptor_6001.jpg

I guess the point I am trying to make is, it needs to be longer/more slender to give it a more predator/carnivore like appearance.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

while the logos and type are pretty weak here, the photoshop renderings are very well done

Agreed. The logo needs an eye. Right now it looks like one of those creepy voo-doo dolls, maybe I'm getting that feeling from the 3 lines coming from the eyes.

thirded.

i also agree about the "snout" needing to be thinner.

I concur with making it more aggressive and adding an eye definitively.

That being said, even though I gave up on cheering for the Raptors a looooong time ago, I would go out and but the black jersey in a heartbeat.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

I think the Raptor head is a good start, but you could do away with a couple of the extra colors. The light red could be replaced with white and the dark gray could be eliminated completely. I also think it would look better if the left nostril was black and the right one was red. And he could use a pupil or a little something extra in the eye. It's looking a bit like a demon T-Rex. Something else that could really help your logo is just thicker lines, particularly around the mouth. Not a fan of the white on white, but other than that I really like the uniforms! I'd like to see what this looks like in purple and red.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

As a Raptors fan I have to say that I like the jerseys a lot!

As far as the logo is concerned, it's always tough because we are, well..., the Raptors. The best is to stay away from any sort of dinosaur head or antropomorphic creature. Focusing on the claw or the jaw might make for a more appealing identity. Something that's sadly never explored is following the definition of a raptor as a "bird of prey" like an eagle, a hawk or a falcon. It might give this team a new spin and a much needed enhancement of their visual identity.

5737a3a4-1de5-426d-a5eb-067469bdd6e3.jpg

Something that's sadly never explored is following the definition of a raptor as a "bird of prey" like an eagle, a hawk or a falcon. It might give this team a new spin and a much needed enhancement of their visual identity.

Now THAT, is a fantastic idea, geoffrey.

The Dino concept worked back in the day when Jurassic Park was THE thing: and the concept DID hook every 10 yr. old out there...

But it has gotten real old (it's almost annoying).

Although;

I think P34 has done a great job with the uniforms.

Thanks for the feedback all. Some constructive and not so constructive stuff in there. I'll keep it all in mind when it comes to my next concept (I rarely revisit my work, I'm not sure why). I'm of the mind that the Dinosaur looks pretty agro as it is, but it seems not! I've also been aware of the bird of prey concept, but I figured the team was named after the dinosaur, so best to stay with that, no?

Thanks for the feedback all. Some constructive and not so constructive stuff in there. I'll keep it all in mind when it comes to my next concept (I rarely revisit my work, I'm not sure why). I'm of the mind that the Dinosaur looks pretty agro as it is, but it seems not! I've also been aware of the bird of prey concept, but I figured the team was named after the dinosaur, so best to stay with that, no?

I wasn't knocking your work P.

Your presentation, logo, and uniforms are first class and extremely well done.

I just think that a change in identity would be good for the T.O. franchise;...but that's a whole different topic.

By the way, the logo's real nice...great lines;

Just rotate the eye a tad clockwise so he looks a little hungrier.

There are so many bird of prey logos out there already it's hard to do something new. stick with the dinosaur, work on that rendering of it tho. think you need to go back to the drawing board and sketch some more. that pic from jurassic park is a good reference image. definitely needs to be sleek, fast, and stealthy. i'd start by giving it a literal trace of your reference image and then stylize - that's a pretty good approach to take. Make sure your line weights are balanced and consistent. Keep in mind how this thing will ultimately be reproduced. Sure it may look great painted on the floor, but how will it look as an embroidered hat where you lose lots of detail? As for your type that goes with the package, same thing. Fast, sleek, stealthy. Raptors were swift hunters and were ruthless killers. Your logo and your type should reflect that. Taking the type out of the box so to speak is frankly kind of lazy, so do something worthy of a pro basketball team. Basically i'd like to see you bring your logo to the level of your renderings. Seems like the potential is there.

OD_Signature.jpg

Archived