Sign in to follow this  
Frenchie

Brampton Beast - Central Hockey League

Some of you may already know that the OHL is leaving Brampton to go to Northern Ontario (rightfully, ONE may add?).

And that with the Batallion's departure, the Powerade Centre will be welcoming another big hockey ticket, the "Central Hockey League".

Well, today the "Brampton Hockey" team annouced its 10 finalists from teh "name the team" contest.

Here they are:

http://www.hockeybrampton.com/vote.html

Is it just me, or are those just absolutely unoriginal, not to say lame?

And it's not because my 3 suggestions didn't make it (I am a little surprised that they got more than 12 entries...) but what do you think?

An now hat I see this "democratic" process for the name, I am getting quite concerned about the overall identity (logo and jerseys).

I for one am appalled that the Brampton Insurance Fraudsters isn't a choice. It would represent the area perfectly.

As for the selections, they don't get more generic than these. I guess Arrows would be my first choice of the lot though, followed by North Stars. Everything else make no sense.

Vipers, Bengals, Really? C'mon!! Boy you guys can't be more right. The names you guys are throwing out are so much better than what they had. Remember when Logos used to apply to the area the team played in? Brampton was just named by Twitter as using more curse words than anyone else. Here's the link to the article. How about the Brampton %. I'd love to hear the announcers try to figure out that one but the merchandise would be going off the shelves. Realistic, probably not but it would be a huge story. Talk about an attention getter. Since it's the Flower City what about the Brampton Birds and the Bees. Or the Brampton Fertile after the fertilization of flowers. This is exactly why we started Awesome Sports Logos. Our goal is to bring back the fun and creativity back into sports logos. It's almost like Brampton is afraid like so many other sports teams to take a chance. Even though the team is defunct, people still talk about the Macon Whoopie as one of the best hockey team names. All of the names you guys came up with are interesting. I have no interest in any of the finalists unfortunately.

I voted for "Arrows", but definitely thought the choices were uninspiring. <_<

http://centralhockeyleague.com/teams/

I was surprised when I saw this post. Brampton's pretty much isolated from the rest of the CHL. That will make for long road trips.

Considering how many CHL teams are rumored to be folding or switching leagues, I'd imagine every team left next year will be pretty isolated.

I was surprised when I saw this post. Brampton's pretty much isolated from the rest of the CHL. That will make for long road trips.

That's what I voted for too.

Seriously, this is nothing but a joke around here (here being Brampton where I live) I doubt they will draw numbers even close to the Battalion's sad numbers.

I've received a couple phone calls from the CeHL team asking me if I wanted season tickets. One on my cell, one at work. The funny part is I answered both calls and said "no" both times. Guess they didn't figure out that it was the same person they called at those 2 different numbers.

Anyhow none of these names have anything to do with Brampton, the team is located far away from all the current teams and, I can just see this failing after 1 season.

The city would be better off leveling the arena and just adding more community rinks.

That's what I voted for too.

Seriously, this is nothing but a joke around here (here being Brampton where I live) I doubt they will draw numbers even close to the Battalion's sad numbers.

I've received a couple phone calls from the CeHL team asking me if I wanted season tickets. One on my cell, one at work. The funny part is I answered both calls and said "no" both times. Guess they didn't figure out that it was the same person they called at those 2 different numbers.

Anyhow none of these names have anything to do with Brampton, the team is located far away from all the current teams and, I can just see this failing after 1 season.

The city would be better off leveling the arena and just adding more community rinks.

I'm surprised the classic generic nicknames like "Eagles" and "Warriors" weren't options either.

I saw a couple Central League games in Fort Wayne the last two years. From what I saw of it, I liked it, but it's definitely a couple steps back from the OHL Then again, I grew up watching the Colonial/United Hockey League, so maybe my expectations are a bit low, lol. :hockeysmiley::Oo:

When your closest opponent (Bloomington) is over 500 miles away, the travel costs will pile up in a heartbeat. The ECHL, IMO, would have been a much better fit (teams in Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York) for a pro league.

Aw man... I was really hoping for the Brampton Bloom!

You joking??? I submitted Bloom...

LOL... really? I thought it would make sense :lol:

Probably why they didn't reatin it...

I even started doodling a log... I'll post later.

Here's my first drawing of the BLOOM logo:

bloomv.jpg

I voted for Arrows. Made the most sense to me as a name for Brampton. The names do suck, and that was the best of the bunch.

Nothing about Brampton in the Central League remotely makes sense.

So I have a friend that was interviewed for a job with this team.

He's worked for both the Battalion and the (then) Mississauga Majors. His role involved organizing billets, so it's not just some guy who sold hot dogs or something.

Anyhow, apparently they have hired a team of like 20 people who sit there all day cold calling and trying to get people to buy tickets. They also have another 5 cold calling trying to sell advertising. They really are pushing the product. Apparently they are trying to work with the city to get all the rep. level teams to take their team's name once the Battlion are gone as well. I still don't think this will work, but you have to admit they are trying.

Oh and as of yesterday. Beast is the name that has the most votes.

He's worked for both the Battalion and the (then) Mississauga Majors. His role involved organizing billets, so it's not just some guy who sold hot dogs or something.

Anyhow, apparently they have hired a team of like 20 people who sit there all day cold calling and trying to get people to buy tickets. They also have another 5 cold calling trying to sell advertising. They really are pushing the product. Apparently they are trying to work with the city to get all the rep. level teams to take their team's name once the Battlion are gone as well. I still don't think this will work, but you have to admit they are trying.

Beast? really???

Let's get an "Arrow Lobby" going...

They actually called me for tickets, and I really like the different options they're offering, but with our lifestyle (chauffeuring the kids from one activity to the other pretty much any day of the week) I can't commit to any type of season's ticket offer...

I hope they do well.

I doubt Brampton's rep teams are going to change their name again. They just changed from the Batallion to the 45's this year.

I doubt Brampton's rep teams are going to change their name again. They just changed from the Batallion to the 45's this year.

That is what I said too.

I think that there is way more questions about the long term viability of this team so I wouldn't think that the rep teams would want to hitch their wagon to the name.