New Ohio State Logo

rmackman

Where's the "THE"? :)

2nd one on the last row seems to have gotten it right lol

They only use "The" if "University" comes after "Ohio State". Having a logo that says "The Ohio State" would be a misuse of the school name.

I would prefer we use a logo with "The Ohio State University" for our academics but the plain block O is probably easier to put on clothing, merchandise and other objects.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They only use "The" if "University" comes after "Ohio State". Having a logo that says "The Ohio State" would be a misuse of the school name.

Thanks for the explanation, but I was just being a smartass. :)

It's ok I was going to be a jerk and say doesn't anyone read anymore. It says next to the block O for the academic logo that to the right of it underlined in gray is " The Ohio State University" so it still is in the logo, that paper just chose to cut it out of the picture.

Just figured if you could be a smartass, I could be a jerk. ;)

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

having the word "The" anywhere near the school's name is a misuse of the word "The"

having the word "The" anywhere near the school's name is a misuse of the word "The"

Nike-Campus-Roar-Ohio-State-Menamp39s-T-Shirt-00030277X_OS1_A.jpg

brand :)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I make my OSU friends mad by deliberately calling their school "Some Ohio School."

My brother did his medical residency at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, and he bought a T-Shirt that said OHIO STATE on it in block letters. He then brought it back to Florida on a trip, and had a shop print in blue letters: PROPERTY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA just below it.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I never understood the significance of the "The" in the school name.

I assume that those connected to Ohio State are making the claim that they are THE one and only state university of Ohio.

It's where I sit.

It's their gimmick -- and a terrible one at that.

Its such a terrible gimmick that nearly every player that intros himself on Sunday Night Football tries to immitate it or insert the word "The" into whatever their college's name is.

We love that. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Keep it up, wanna-be's!!!!!

Meh. Not unlike the University of Miami calling themselves "The U"

Meh. Not unlike the University of Miami calling themselves "The U"

totally different...the "U" was limited to nickname/insider slang for quite some time before it was popularized by sports media and the nike's of the world....it really became mainstream during the Butch Davis run as it was popularized by national sports media and the nikes of the world in apparrel.

"THE" ohio state university has been a part of the schools official name/branding for quite some time...I can remember watching tosu basketball back in the early 90's as a young teen and seeing "THE" osu printed on the chair backs...even as a 13yo I thought it was ridiculously pretentious.

in my opinion your comparison is simply mixing buckeyes and oranges...one is a secondary nickname the other is the officially recognized name of the university.

I don't think that's that uncommon for THE to be apart of a university's name. My diploma from Ohio University says THE OHIO UNIVERSITY.

The stressing of the THE started with E Gordon Gee in the early 90's because he wanted the school to have a thing.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived