DaytonBlue

College Basketball 2013-14

Ever since UMKC said they were going to start identifying themselves as Kansas City, it's bugged me. They were always UMKC growing up, so it's hard for me to like the change. Unfortunately, the team has been garbage recently so I doubt anyone who doesn't go to the school or follow them even noticed.

Also, is that Comic Sans on the baselines? If so, wow.

It is.

Holy F***ING Christ... That is a Comic Sans floor guys... I'm at a loss for words...

umkc-basketball-court-4.jpg

I thought that when I first saw it too. Who's up for a road trip to Kansas City and burning their floor :upside: ?

"UMKC" is just a lot easier to remember than "Kansas City", because the name of the school is the same name as the city and there isn't any reason to avoid the acronym. Everyone knows what "KC" stands for - that's the important part anyway, and two letters distinguish it from the pro teams that play in Kansas City. Heck, everyone I know who lives in the Kansas City area refers to it as "UMKC" anyway.

In any case, Comic Sans... I think I've found a court more hideous than James Madison's monstrosity.

"UMKC" is just a lot easier to remember than "Kansas City", because the name of the school is the same name as the city and there isn't any reason to avoid the acronym. Everyone knows what "KC" stands for - that's the important part anyway, and two letters distinguish it from the pro teams that play in Kansas City. Heck, everyone I know who lives in the Kansas City area refers to it as "UMKC" anyway.

In any case, Comic Sans... I think I've found a court more hideous than James Madison's monstrosity.

Exactly. UMKC works for the same reason UCLA and UNLV do. I can see why Nebraska-Omaha wants to just be known as "Omaha" (Nebraska-Omaha is confusing and a mouthful, and UNO could just as easily refer to the U of New Orleans), but UMKC can be sold nationally if the program were to become nationally relevant. There's no reason to push Kansas City.

Of course, I'd just as soon a mandate were passed that forced all hyphenated schools to adopt unique names (aside from instances like California, where all UC schools actually share the same charter). There's only one University of Missouri, and it's not in Kansas City, or St. Louis, or Rolla.

I believe all the UMKC, UMSL, etc. are all branches of the University of Mizzou.

They are part of part of the University of Missouri System...not sure if they are branches.

Having one college/university carry the nickname "Kansas City" is rather difficult because of UMKC, KCKCC (Kansas City Kansas Community College), Kansas City University of Medicine & Bioscience (no athletics) and Kansas City Art Institute (no athletics) all have a rightful claim to use "Kansas City." UMKC and KCKCC both have uniforms that say Kansas City.

UMKC has joined WAC and it is trying to big like the other D1 schools so it is not surprising that they wore that grey alt uniform. I think they still wear their standard white and gold uniforms still. Nothing impressive about those either I think.

Lastly, the comic sans "Kansas City Missouri" on the baseline has been there for ages and just something we accept and move on.

I don't know, I think there's still some room around half court to squeeze a couple more Duke Dog logos in...

MQPDHAJMOWARNTQ.20131120033930.JPG

Uni-related note, I love those new shorts. Funny that they got new home jerseys after just getting a new set last year. Making the big dance helps I guess.

I don't know, I think there's still some room around half court to squeeze a couple more Duke Dog logos in...

MQPDHAJMOWARNTQ.20131120033930.JPG

Uni-related note, I love those new shorts. Funny that they got new home jerseys after just getting a new set last year. Making the big dance helps I guess.

That uniform template was Iowa's for the last couple of seasons. Looks like Nike is making it available to other schools now.

460x.jpg

BavJq6bCYAAs4cD.jpg

BavbVVvCMAAGN7l.jpg

Kentucky will be wearing these vs. Baylor.

I believe all the UMKC, UMSL, etc. are all branches of the University of Mizzou.

Except they're not branches, they're separate universities with separate charters that share a brand name for no other reason than the University of Missouri's (Columbia) need to have a presence in Missouri's major cities during the postwar, GI Bill boom for political purposes. UMKC should be the University of Kansas City, and UMSL should be St. Louis State University (since U of St. Louis would be too close to Saint Louis University).

What does the Kentucky shirt say?

Except they're not branches, they're separate universities with separate charters that share a brand name for no other reason than the University of Missouri's (Columbia) need to have a presence in Missouri's major cities during the postwar, GI Bill boom for political purposes. UMKC should be the University of Kansas City, and UMSL should be St. Louis State University (since U of St. Louis would be too close to Saint Louis University).

"The University of Missouri–St. Louis (UMSL) is one of four universities in the University of Missouri System. Established in 1963, it is the newest university in the UM System."

From Wikipedia. Not sure if this proves your point or contradicts, just thought i'd throw it out here

What's with the curve on the front of the shorts? It may just be the way they hang, but it's weird.