2013 College Hoops Offseason Thread

Cujo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's go ahead and get the offseason thread started with a stunner out of Westwood.....

Ben Howland has been fired by UCLA. yhoo.it/ZKli42

Stunner? Howland needed to make the Final Four if he wanted to have a prayer of surviving.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pitt embraces mediocrity.

No clue why the name "Kirk Ferentz" keeps flashing in my mind.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Shaka better take the UCLA job if he's offered. If he doesn't go now, he'll probably be at VCU for the long haul. Jamie Dixon was rumored to be the top candidate, but he just signed an extension at Pitt so that's not going to happen.

There's another opening in LA and it sounds like USC is going to go after Tubby Smith. There was a pretty good chance that Tubby was going to get fired after this season, but their win in the tournament probably saved his job their. Still wouldn't be surprised to see him leave. He really hasn't done much at Minnesota.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

There is much less of a percentage of hoops jobs as to FBS jobs, so there will be little movement of top assistants or others just leaving.

Jamie Dixon who is from Los Angeles and still as a SAG Card just signed a 10 year deal iwth Pitt, So as a result, he seems to be out of the USC fold, but Pat Haden and others did talk to Tim Floyd to return. And yes, Floyd was the hoops reason why USC got in into so much NCAA trouble along with Reggie Bush..

Before Howland's ten year reign, UCLA had seven coaches in 28 years. Why should one go to that?

Jamie Dixon was rumored to be the top candidate, but he just signed an extension at Pitt so that's not going to happen.

What a horrible rumor, considering Dixon was groomed by Howland and eventually replaced him when he left Pitt for UCLA.

Why would the Bruins hire Ben Howland Jr. after sh1tcanning the original? They wouldn't.

6uXNWAo.png

Let's go ahead and get the offseason thread started with a stunner out of Westwood.....

Ben Howland has been fired by UCLA. yhoo.it/ZKli42

Not really a surprise since he's lost control of the players over the last couple of years.

Then again, UCLA's players have had everything but control for the better part of nearly the last 20 years. Ever since Jim Harrick was fired (all over a dinner dispute and the UCLA AD being super-pissed after a tourney loss to Princeton), Howland and his predecessor, Steve Lavin, has had top recruiting classes, but have blown nuggets in the tourney, and have lost control of the players. Was surprised this firing didn't happen earlier.

I would think that Northwestern will go after Howland now.

Rumors have been pointing to Chris Collins at Northwestern. We won't know until Duke is done whether he wants to go there or not. Howland is certainly a possibility, but again I don't know if he would want to go there. Plus Howland just got fired for not winning at a place where he could grab top recruits. How do you expect him to do at a place with no basketball history, terrible facilities, and strict academic standards?

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Rumors have been pointing to Chris Collins at Northwestern. We won't know until Duke is done whether he wants to go there or not. Howland is certainly a possibility, but again I don't know if he would want to go there. Plus Howland just got fired for not winning at a place where he could grab top recruits. How do you expect him to do at a place with no basketball history, terrible facilities, and strict academic standards?

Regardless of Collins' ties to Chicago, the Krzyzewski-tree coach does better with a job before a Power 6 gig. His fellows are not that successful. Brey is the best guy.

Regardless of Collins' ties to Chicago, the Krzyzewski-tree coach does better with a job before a Power 6 gig. His fellows are not that successful. Brey is the best guy.

Which is exactly why I don't think it would be a good idea for Collins to take the job if he's offered. There's a really good chance that he goes there, fails, and never gets another opportunity at a high-major. Nobody has ever had success at Northwestern and that probably won't change regardless of who they hire. He's a lot better off staying in the chair right next Krzyzewski.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Hiring from the Duke tree has yet to work for Stanford (Dawkins), and it did not work at Michigan (Amaker) or at Oklahoma (Capel). Qiun Snyder worked at Mizzou until he was was told of minor violations and was never better than the very overrated, Norm Stewart in the tournament.

What I understand is last year the team basically declared mutiny on Howard and he missed the tournament in a disappointing year. He kept his job.

This year he wins the Pac-12 regular season title outright, has better control over his team (or at least seems to) and he gets canned.

What's the message being the sent there? I don't get it.

Also while on topic with UCLA, apparently Shabazz Muhammad is a year older then we all thought, so goodbye lottery pick potentially for him.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2013/3/22/4135588/shabazz-muhammad-age-ucla-la-times-nba-draft

What I understand is last year the team basically declared mutiny on Howard and he missed the tournament in a disappointing year. He kept his job.

This year he wins the Pac-12 regular season title outright, has better control over his team (or at least seems to) and he gets canned.

What's the message being the sent there? I don't get it.

Also while on topic with UCLA, apparently Shabazz Muhammad is a year older then we all thought, so goodbye lottery pick potentially for him.

http://www.sbnation....times-nba-draft

The message here is the UCLA alumni who want Guerrero gone are increasing in number and ramping up the pressure. Also base incompetence shouldn't be rewarded more than it already has. The Cal Poly loss put him on life support and the relatively poor performance in the Pac 12 (complete with Wazzu loss), combined with the Round 1 loss finished him off.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A couple of players transferred in November from the Bruins. He had a very short bench this year because of that, and his inability not to develop players recently. Since 09, UCLA has had a series of embarrassing non conference losses.(Cal Poly, Middle Tennessee State, LMU, CS Fullerton, Montana, Portland off the top of my head). This probably belongs in the tourney thread, but I don't get how the Bruins got a 6 seed. All but one of their losses(Georgetown) were to teams seeded lower then them, or completely out of the tourney. Plus their 2nd leading scorer, Jordan Adams was out, so you would think that the committee would've dinged them. Like with Oregon though and their low seeding, the games were played and those teams proved the committee wrong.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Minnesota has a new AD in Norwood Teague (yes, his name is Norwood) and he had to fire someone. Since Teague came from VCU, Tubby was his target.

He cannot fire Jerry Kill since it will be seen as not having compassion for a coach with medical issues.

He could not fire the WBB coach after she has had three straight losing seasons because days before he took over, she was given a three year extension.

Teague must think he can bring Shaka Smart or he thinks that Anthony Grant, his original VCU coach is about to be canned at Alabama. Teague and the Assoc. AD Mike Ellis both were brought in from VCU and helped start the assistant coaches symposium with athletic directors.

Archived