Miami Dolphins' New Logo

imaprince

Looks like it should be the logo to an old age community in Fort Lauderdale.

So true.

This logo just does not look like the logo of a major professional sports team.

It does in the 21st Century....

:rolleyes:

I remember someone using that line to defend the Buffaslug.

Right. Except the Buffaslug was COMPLETELY different from the original Sabres logo and a pretty good majority was against it. It was almost unrecognizable.

The new Dolphins logo still keeps most of its elements from the past Dolphins logos (the sun, a dolphin jumping, colors) and you can still tell which team it is. Also, there seems to be much more positive reaction to this than there was for Buffalo.

I stand by my 21st Century comment. Time doesn't dictate taste or form. It does, however, form certain looks. The "goofy helmet dolphin" was great for the 70's, 80's, and 90's, but it's time for it to go.

Whenever someone says a new look fits the "21st century" it means it's dated and trendy, and will look tired in 5-10 years.

Now while good taste is timeless (see a well tailored suit/Chicago Bears) the dolphin in the helmet was definitely a 60s/70s creation. The difference between that and the new logo is that the 60s/70s aesthetic works fits the Miami Dolphins while the 2010s look is just trendy.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So true.

Right. Except the Buffaslug was COMPLETELY different from the original Sabres logo and a pretty good majority was against it. It was almost unrecognizable.

The new Dolphins logo still keeps most of its elements from the past Dolphins logos (the sun, a dolphin jumping, colors) and you can still tell which team it is. Also, there seems to be much more positive reaction to this than there was for Buffalo.

I stand by my 21st Century comment. Time doesn't dictate taste or form. It does, however, form certain looks. The "goofy helmet dolphin" was great for the 70's, 80's, and 90's, but it's time for it to go.

Whenever someone says a new look fits the "21st century" it means it's dated and trendy, and will look tired in 5-10 years.

My response to this:

570.gif

21st Century logo. Been around for more than 10 years now. Not goin' anywhere...

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I sure hope that logo doesn't go anywhere. It's simple and crisp. I'm sure this is kinda what the Dolphins were going for (I just don't think it pops quite as much as the Texans' logo since it has the ring in the bg).

Looks like clip art. Looks like a create a team in Madden. Great illustration, terrible logo. Looks like an AFL team.

Am I doing it right? :P

In all seriousness, huge improvement by the Dolphins.

You forgot to say it looks like it was done in MS Paint!

bSLCtu2.png

My philosophy on logos is, regardless of how dated or stupid a logo looks, if the fan base of that team likes it, it shouldn't be changed. I actually like the new Dolphins logo, but it's clear that a majority of Dolphins fans (the people who actually buy the stuff) want to revert back to the old Dolphin immediately. We all have our opinions, but it's not our place to tell a fan-base what they should and should not like, regardless of reasoning.

I'm not picking on anyone here, so don't take it that way. Just an observation.

Looks like clip art. Looks like a create a team in Madden. Great illustration, terrible logo. Looks like an AFL team.

Am I doing it right? :P

In all seriousness, huge improvement by the Dolphins.

You forgot to say it looks like it was done in MS Paint!

and that it is change for changes sake

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

My philosophy on logos is, regardless of how dated or stupid a logo looks, if the fan base of that team likes it, it shouldn't be changed. I actually like the new Dolphins logo, but it's clear that a majority of Dolphins fans (the people who actually buy the stuff) want to revert back to the old Dolphin immediately. We all have our opinions, but it's not our place to tell a fan-base what they should and should not like, regardless of reasoning.

I'm not picking on anyone here, so don't take it that way. Just an observation.

actually the change is seen positive on dolphin fan sites. There are a lot of people who like it, as well as a lot of people who hate it. When Denver changed from the D logo, so many people hated it. Now they love it. People will still buy merchandise

Dolphins. Plural.

Not Dolphin's. Possessive.

The team has always been known as the Miami Dolphins. No apostrophe.

Why do people add apostrophes to make words plural?

/end rant

In this context there should be an apostrophe (maybe not where it it but there should be one) because it is possessive it is their new logo, they posses the new logo

So true.

My response to this:

570.gif

21st Century logo. Been around for more than 10 years now. Not goin' anywhere...

I've never heard that logo be described as "21st century" design wise. Usually that phrase is used to describe stuff that's trendy and "cutting edge."

With the Texans' logo I just see a well designed mark that's not trying to be "relevant." It's just trying to be a good logo. Which is all it needs to do.

Because the facemask is going to be white, I wonder if there is a possibility the helmet might be aqua?

That's where my mind is right now. I have seen nothing that says the helmet will be white - only the facemask. The white facemask remark could be part of an intentional misdirection.

So true.

My response to this:

570.gif

I've never heard that logo be described as "21st century" design wise. Usually that phrase is used to describe stuff that's trendy and "cutting edge."

With the Texans' logo I just see a well designed mark that's not trying to be "relevant." It's just trying to be a good logo. Which is all it needs to do.

I think I understand what you are trying to say here and I respect where you are coming from but I honestly don't understand how the new Dolphins logo is trying to be "relevant" in any way. If anything its possibly simply trying to stop looking like a bad 60's logo that's been revamped a few too many times. Losing the silly helmet improves it 100% in my book. The fact that they changed the orientation of the dolphin into a more natural positioning seems right to me. We shall see what the unis end up looking like.

I've got the new stuff now...former colors:

MiamiDolphins_FRC_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

New colors:

MiamiDolphins_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Two of the three colors (excluding White) are new for the Dolphins...the Aqua is a shade they haven't technically used before, but a case could be made where it is closer to their original color. Before Pantones became standard. The Orange they HAVE used before (1980-1989), and the Blue is not only a new shade, but it's even a very new Pantone color - never been used by anyone (college or pro) before.

Archived