Miami Dolphins' New Logo

imaprince

I think I understand what you are trying to say here and I respect where you are coming from but I honestly don't understand how the new Dolphins logo is trying to be "relevant" in any way. If anything its possibly simply trying to stop looking like a bad 60's logo that's been revamped a few too many times. Losing the silly helmet improves it 100% in my book. The fact that they changed the orientation of the dolphin into a more natural positioning seems right to me. We shall see what the unis end up looking like.

I see it as trendy because it is just that. Look at the designs that are coming out of the corporate world and you'll see the design trends this logo is employing. Mostly the trend of replacing concrete depictions of things with abstract imagery. Or hell, let's take a look at the world of sports. This dolphin is basically the marlin from the new Miami Marlins' logo. A marine animal with a long body and fins rendered with abstract shapes. Of course superficial stuff is different. The colours, the way the shapes move, but when you get down to the bare bones of both designs you see that they're essentially the same. And it makes sense. They were both created with the same design trends in mind.

And I really don't get this "trendy and forced" comment about what the Dolphins did with their logo. What I see is a modern, fast, cunning creature with the sun and colors as a elements of Miami, Florida.

You say you don't see how the new Dolphins logo is "trendy" or "forced," yet you're using terms to describe it that sound like they came out the mouth of a Nike rep. That bold portion, especially the words "modern" and "fast" prove my point. Those phrases, along with "21st century," "intimidation," and "innovative" are always associated with logos that end up looking dated in 5-10 years.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I understand what you are trying to say here and I respect where you are coming from but I honestly don't understand how the new Dolphins logo is trying to be "relevant" in any way. If anything its possibly simply trying to stop looking like a bad 60's logo that's been revamped a few too many times. Losing the silly helmet improves it 100% in my book. The fact that they changed the orientation of the dolphin into a more natural positioning seems right to me. We shall see what the unis end up looking like.

I see it as trendy because it is just that. Look at the designs that are coming out of the corporate world and you'll see the design trends this logo is employing. Mostly the trend of replacing concrete depictions of things with abstract imagery. Or hell, let's take a look at the world of sports. This dolphin is basically the marlin from the new Miami Marlins' logo. A marine animal with a long body and fins rendered with abstract shapes. Of course superficial stuff is different. The colours, the way the shapes move, but when you get down to the bare bones of both designs you see that they're essentially the same. And it makes sense. They were both created with the same design trends in mind.

Oh I will definitely agree that many of the newer sports logos follow this same trend that you are mentioning but for some reason I just don't see the new Dolphin logo as one of them.

*shrugs shoulders* maybe I might see that someday but for now it just seems to work for me. I guess I'm looking at it less as compared amongst to the other logos that have come out recently and more against the history of the team's identity. I believe that this logo is a natural progression because it is still modernized and streamlined but yet totally connected with the previous logos. Even though it is noticeably different from the logos that preceded it I would bet that MOST casual fans would instantly associate it with the 'Miami Dolphins' identity. Of course the unique color scheme also helps...but that goes without saying.

570.gif

21st Century logo. Been around for more than 10 years now. Not goin' anywhere...

I get what you're trying to say (I don't agree with it) but you couldn't have made a worse choice to illustrate your point. That is a great logo. Great logos work regardless of the era. That logo looks like it could have been created in 1975 or 1987 or...you get the idea. Unlike the new Dolphins logo, there's nothing about the Texans logo that looks trendy or forced.

This is a great logo, maybe the best in the league(with a little homer bias), but you cannot honestly say it doesn't look modern. It does, it's a classic and has longevity, I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon if ever. But it still looks very modern and not in any way like it was made in 1960. So I think it's a perfect logo to use as an example.

Since you have the official new colors of the Dolphins, I would think you also have the new colors of the Vikings, Buccaneers, and Jaguars..........

Certainly the new Vikings and Jags...nothing yet for any potential changes for the Bucs.

So....................Looking for post like Dolphins........................

OK.

MinnesotaVikings_FRC_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

MinnesotaVikings_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

JacksonvilleJaguars_FRC_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

JacksonvilleJaguars_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

What about the grey shoulder stripes in the leak?

I don't get why everyone is saying navy is going to be a huge part of this rebrand. Look at the Fins site. There's no navy to be seen. ANYWHERE.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

570.gif

21st Century logo. Been around for more than 10 years now. Not goin' anywhere...

I get what you're trying to say (I don't agree with it) but you couldn't have made a worse choice to illustrate your point. That is a great logo. Great logos work regardless of the era. That logo looks like it could have been created in 1975 or 1987 or...you get the idea. Unlike the new Dolphins logo, there's nothing about the Texans logo that looks trendy or forced.

You sure about that? Because it's still pretty bold compared to what you would see during that era.

No, I was kinda wishy-washy on it but I decided to go with it anyway. B)

My point was simply that the Texans logo doesn't look like it came from a particular era. It's just a very good logo. You can't say that about a lot of the stuff that came out in the 90's or in the "21st Century."

BB52Big.jpg

The forced perspective on the new logo is KILLING me!

Man, I was really behind this logo based on the leaks, but after seeing the official version I am starting not to like it. The sun is a jagged mess. The forced 3/4 perspective makes it look like the dolphin has an absurdly large head and eye, and the shape isn't distinctive. At small sizes, the logo ends up looking like a dab of toothpaste as all the features get lost.

I would like this logo a lot more if it had a more side view perspective in which the head and tail seemed more proportional to each other.

Here was my initial rendering based on the 2nd leaked image we saw (but with the sun from the original leaked image):

BGDsZTqCQAAJX5E.png

Now compare that to the official logo:

BGfEoDVCIAALdA4.jpg

Which do you prefer?

I have no idea why they chose to change the sun to this noisy, asymmetrical thing. The sun on the original leaked sketch was far superior. It was balanced and strong. It flowed well with the overall design. The new sunburst is just a distraction. It doesn't work well with the flow of the dolphin.

In addition, in my rendering, I tightened the white stripe going through it. I think that helps the design to give it more body. At smaller sizes, the white doesn't drown out the design to make it unrecognizable.

The more I look at the final design, the less I like it. I honestly think now that the dolphin needs its old arching position back because I think that helps it stay recognizable at far distances and small sizes. It also no longer quite feels like "Miami Dolphins" anymore without that shape.

dude that sun is damn distracting... I can't stand it. The original dolphin logo had a sun that was basically just an orange circle with lines coming out it. Even if it would be seen as a circle from long distances, it would at least tie in more closely to tradition.

In any case, the logo is not even distinguishable at small sizes. IMO, that's where it fails as a logo.

In all honesty, I think they should have gone with a knock off of the stadium logo.

new-dolphin-logo2-copy1-172x172.jpg

Its simple, distinctive, carries its shape well at all sizes and is still much more reminiscent of the classic logo than the new one.

I just wish the Dolphins had a "timeless" logo and this is about as close as it can get to timeless while keeping the traditional distinctive elements in tact.

I believe the term you're looking for is "timeless" The Texans logo is just that...timeless.

Exactly. It's one of those times where the team got it right on the first try.

Yeah.

But I just can't say that about Miami. Their original logo had a life of 20 years at best, so they changed it with a few tweak here and there. Then then the late 90's logo came out and it had a life of 20 years. Point is, the Dolphins just didn't have that "got it right on the first try" look.

I think this is a good step in their evolution.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Archived