New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just curve the left side of the 5 at the top like the bottom and this wouldn't look so stupid.

Yes it would. It wouldn't look like a 5

gmab, it still would. That's the problem with this point/serif set, in theory an interesting idea but not fully developed to work properly.

I won't gyab. If you curve that part of the 5. it would look like an S. Plus it would look more out of place. But of course, the entire idea doesn't work to begin with

Go A's!

just curve the left side of the 5 at the top like the bottom and this wouldn't look so stupid.

gmab, it still would. That's the problem with this point/serif set, in theory an interesting idea but not fully developed to work properly.

I won't gyab. If you curve that part of the 5. it would look like an S. Plus it would look more out of place. But of course, the entire idea doesn't work to begin with

This, it would look awful like that, the top left of a 5 needs to be squared off, it's what makes it a 5. I don't mind the the serifs not interlocking with all right numbers. The only one that looks just flat out bad is 11.

The more I see the sleeve stripe the more I wish it were just straight stripes. It just doesn't look good, it doesn't even look like a sail unless pointed out or if you think about it really hard. If there's one thing that's silently tweaked in a year or two i hope it's that. It would still be a pretty unique stripe, the redskins have something like it but the stripes are smaller and touching.

This, it would look awful like that, the top left of a 5 needs to be squared off, it's what makes it a 5. I don't mind the the serifs not interlocking with all right numbers. The only one that looks just flat out bad is 11.

The more I see the sleeve stripe the more I wish it were just straight stripes. It just doesn't look good, it doesn't even look like a sail unless pointed out or if you think about it really hard. If there's one thing that's silently tweaked in a year or two i hope it's that. It would still be a pretty unique stripe, the redskins have something like it but the stripes are smaller and touching.

No one ever said it was supposed to look like a sail.

True enough. That was the numbers.

I don't know what thr stripe is supposed to look like, but it doesn't look good.

Gothamite, I'm not taking a dig at you with this post, I just think your comment is a great spring board for some design discussion. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this! Here we go...

I am not the biggest fan of the shoulders stripe, but it doesnt bother me as much as the shoulder stripe on the previous uniform.

I think most people now days look to new uniform designs to be somewhat theme like, kinda like a costume of the team name/mascot if you will. I also think people tend to get the phrase "inspired by" confused with "looks like". From The Nike video Todd Van Horne says "...the swoop of the serif of the font referencing the bow of the ship." Notice he didn't say, The numbers are supposed to look like a ship, it just a design element that takes is cue from an object of the viking culture. He also states "The level of craftsmanship and detail refers back to the armor that the vikings have." and pair that with the first uniform clue with all the rounded, swooping lines on viking design...

DesignResearch2b_zpsecf02cdb.jpg

I can totally see what the shoulder stripes were inspired by and can objectively say that they successfully created a Viking uniform that was inspired by viking culture and does look "Nordic" if you will.

Subjectively, the stripe is not exactly what I wanted to see on shoulders, and I think could be revisited.

Overall, its the subtle details that reference a culture, an area, a thing (whatever your team represents) that make it look like it belongs. Or everyone could just be over the top literal, for example, the Bengals.

I know this is nerdy, but this is the type of conversation every designer engages in (or should) before and during a project.

Oh, I think the idea of looking to Viking aesthetics was a really good one. And every single facet of the uniforms is a major upgrade over the mess they had before.

That said, I'm not sure I'd consider the sleeve stripes in any way a success. In order to make any connection at all you need photos side-by-side. That's a failure. I don't think it looks inspired by Viking design or particularly "Nordic". Could have, but does not.

If they reversed it, with the swoop in the front, I'd like the design less but at least it would read as the bow of a ship or a sail or something. FWIW, I love the emboidery in the collar and would have been okay with making that a more prominent feature.

Good point, though, and good discussion.

I don't know what thr stripe is supposed to look like, but it doesn't look good.

Gothamite, I'm not taking a dig at you with this post, I just think your comment is a great spring board for some design discussion. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this! Here we go...

I am not the biggest fan of the shoulders stripe, but it doesnt bother me as much as the shoulder stripe on the previous uniform.

I think most people now days look to new uniform designs to be somewhat theme like, kinda like a costume of the team name/mascot if you will. I also think people tend to get the phrase "inspired by" confused with "looks like". From The Nike video Todd Van Horne says "...the swoop of the serif of the font referencing the bow of the ship." Notice he didn't say, The numbers are supposed to look like a ship, it just a design element that takes is cue from an object of the viking culture. He also states "The level of craftsmanship and detail refers back to the armor that the vikings have." and pair that with the first uniform clue with all the rounded, swooping lines on viking design...

I can totally see what the shoulder stripes were inspired by and can objectively say that they successfully created a Viking uniform that was inspired by viking culture and does look "Nordic" if you will.

Subjectively, the stripe is not exactly what I wanted to see on shoulders, and I think could be revisited.

Overall, its the subtle details that reference a culture, an area, a thing (whatever your team represents) that make it look like it belongs. Or everyone could just be over the top literal, for example, the Bengals.

I know this is nerdy, but this is the type of conversation every designer engages in (or should) before and during a project.

i saw it as inspired by a sail filling with air as well. i think the Nike sleeves are too small to do what needs to be done here, but overall i like it. you dont need to use inspiration to make something look like something else. it dosent need to be a sail. the point is to use those things to do something original, which they've done.

One further thought: "The level of craftsmanship and detail refers back to the armor that the vikings have" is empty press-release babble. Doesn't say anything at all that couldn't be said about virtually any other uniform they produced.

for the most part yes, but they did go all out on this one. "level of detail the vikings had" is a stretch and sounds like something Nike/NFL is using to sell the fans on this idea and that dont know the difference between the Pro Combat or Elite51 template. but kudos to the Viks for investing in quality materials, they didnt get cheap like the Bills did with their stripes

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

the special relationship Seahawk fans have with their team

Is no more special than anyone else's, and less special than Green Bay's.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

i saw it as inspired by a sail filling with air as well. i think the Nike sleeves are too small to do what needs to be done here, but overall i like it. you dont need to use inspiration to make something look like something else. it dosent need to be a sail. the point is to use those things to do something original, which they've done.

One further thought: "The level of craftsmanship and detail refers back to the armor that the vikings have" is empty press-release babble. Doesn't say anything at all that couldn't be said about virtually any other uniform they produced.

for the most part yes, but they did go all out on this one. "level of detail the vikings had" is a stretch and sounds like something Nike/NFL is using to sell the fans on this idea and that dont know the difference between the Pro Combat or Elite51 template. but kudos to the Viks for investing in quality materials, they didnt get cheap like the Bills did with their stripes

Gothamite, I LOL'ed when I read your reply, yeah that craftsmanship remark was a little too vague. But BraneMooreArt, you make an interesting point. The craftsmanship is better on the Viking's uniform stripes as they use actual fabric panels sewn in rather than the Bills who look like they screen printed them on.

Thank you for humoring me today.

I wish the Packers did.

Another problem with "The level of craftsmanship and detail refers back to the armor that the vikings have" is that it implies not all their clients receive such treatment.

He might as well have said: "we put some work into these, but man, we so totally phoned in the Jaguars' uniforms."

...which actually makes a fair amount of sense.

The Steelers' stripes are woven into the fabric. The Vikings' stripes are sewn on top.

This teaser from the build-up shows nicely how the sleeve stripes are applied. The bottom, straight stripe seems to be sewn on top of the fabric, while the top, swooping stripe looks to be embedded like the Steelers' stripe panel.

Shoulder_Stripes.jpg

Archived